The Minor Annoyances Thread

Works great, thank you! :+1:

I think this may have been related to the ‘move to other deck’ feature right when it came out or I may have reset progress on some of these cards at one point (could be both)…hard to remember.

2 Likes

Thanks, yeah I can imagine haha :laughing: I’ll double check the demotion call but I’m guessing it was already fixed in the past year :slight_smile:

1 Like

If back audio is set to autoplay and I give an incorrect answer, I hear the correct answer and I miss the opportunity to remember it by myself :frowning:
For now, I disabled the Back audio autoplay for this reason but it would be nice to have Back audio autoplay only for correct answers ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just wanted to bump this. It would be great to organize texts. I love the Reader feature! Folders would be great, and also the ability to re-arrange the texts would be nice too. I currently add texts from a numbered series and that is how I title them. Sometimes I go out of order, so the numbers (in the titles) are out of sequence and it would be nice if I could drag them into order.

2 Likes

Hi :slight_smile:

When I import a list of words manually, would it be possible to have it automatically be feed by the dictionnary (Jisho) ?

The other automatic Kitsun option talks about creating a new deck at every import of words, though I’d want to import a list of words in an already existing deck when I store line by line words after a session of reading a LN / watching a video.

Other remark, I wonder if it would be possible to have the frequency of words when they appear on the dictionnary page.

Thank you for your hard work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello trafto
I had about the same issue a couple months ago : Is it possible to automatically create flashcards from just a list a japanese words?
I ended up by adding words from my existing list one by one using the dictionary (which was quicker than I expected) and I’m adding new words using Kitsun.io Search for Firefox (there is also Search Kistun Chrome extension)
You could use some tools to translate them in Anki and then import them to Kitsun but I found it cleaner to just use Kitsun’s dictionary tool (I could check which translations I wanted, I had kitsun’s generated audio and I could see the wanikani level so I didn’t add the ones I would learn there soon)

2 Likes

Hey @trafto !

I think there’s definitely a way to do this if we take the dictionary the reading tool uses (JMDict, which Jisho.org is based on). The reading tool has a feature coming up where you can view, filter and sort all vocabulary in the text and create flashcards from there (e.g the most frequent words in the text). Perhaps this same concept could be used as the basis for an import. But until that import arrives, you could just paste the wordlist into the reading tool and use the above mentioned feature when it gets implemented. Although the card creation process will still not be fully automated, it would at least make it easy to add cards with a few clicks.

The thing with mass producing cards like that is that there’s always bound to be words that have the wrong definition or an overload of available definitions , so manually checking and changing the cards will probably always be needed first.

I’d love to add it though as I think the feature would really make it even easier to generate your own cards. So it’s definitely on my prio list! :smiley:

The Jisho API that Kitsun uses does not return a frequency other than “Newspaper Rank X” so right now it would not be possible to do so without creating a frequency database to enrich the data with. I think it would be cool to do so in the future as the reading tool could also leverage the data.

1 Like

I’m seeing several small 20 card deck being shared in the community centre, some intended just for other individuals (not community). This seems pretty sub-optimal and clutters the list. I think private sharing would help clean this and allow the burden of copyright property on the publisher (not Kitsun) if users choose to do so, as long as they can validate purchase…maybe even Subs2Kitsun decks, IDK. Just throwing an idea out there, I haven’t check the Kitsun work list if this is a possible feature or how painful to implement.

For now, it would I think it would help for frequent users to rate decks more often so rated decks can float to the top when organized by rating. I think this would help new users to navigate community decks better (all users really). If I use one, I try to rate. If users are posting all their personal decks, I hope the content is valuable to others or has a general theme (not just random dirty laundry).

1 Like

I think what you describe is kind of bound to happen when the website keeps on growing. As you mentioned the rating of a deck along with the amount of users using the deck should give a bit of an indication of the quality/general usefulness of the deck (although there are exceptions of course).

Having a private sharing feature has been on my list since the community centre was added actually, but it kinda took a backseat as the community centre was fulfilling the needs for 95% of the cases.

2 Likes

So I’ve been sort of using the edit screen from clicking on items in the review results to actually go back and double check some things (I know it’s kind of weird), but… that screen doesn’t seem to have a back button. It does have a propose changes that looks big, eye catching, and very similar to the back to deck button on the review results screen. It’s also very happy to tell me that I’ve successfully sent changes to author when I haven’t actually changed anything.

My apologies to the deck authors for that last one.

2 Likes

:joy: I’ll check if I can add a back button :slight_smile:

Hey - not sure whether this has been raised before or not, but is there any possibility of getting rid of the picture prompts in the Core 10k that literally just are pictures of the work being tested? e.g. the picture prompt for 潔い, which is a book cover with the word ‘Gallant’ on it. I’m assuming these have all been automatically generated from google image search or something, and most of them are fine or at least unobtrusive, but a few of them really give the game away.

Also would really appreciate it if more of the prompts for compounds with multiple readings (e.g. 方々 as either かたがた meaning ‘people’ or ほうぼう meaning ‘all directions’) could specify which one they’re looking for in some way. I notice that some words (上/かみ for ‘people in authority’) do have a little note, so I’m guessing this is being actively updated already?

Thanks for your work as always

1 Like

Hey,

This is feedback really specific to the 10k deck. I think it would be good to contact the author (@hinekidori) or post in the 10k deck thread about this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m going to have to confess at this point that I kind of thought you were the same person :expressionless:. Sorry for the confusion, will take it up with them!

1 Like

If you go into Deck Settings -> Layout Filtering you can turn off the layout in question. It’s the Sentence Listening Practice layout.

1 Like

@ulurujamman

Just an FYI I recently deactivated the images in the deck. In case you were interested in using the audio at least.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This would halfway be a minor feature request, but it would be nice if the deck information had an option to show values for things like number/percent of known words, hibernated items, and items pushed to front. Similarly, being able to see % known on community pages for a deck might be interesting. Not that this is super valuable or necessary, its just a curiosity thing that I could only figure out now by running a mildly annoying search in the card management.

I would be less annoyed if my kind of dated pc didn’t run out of memory when loading that page… but that’s what I get for saying “I’ll buy the second stick of RAM next paycheck”.

2 Likes

I noticed, that in settings the increase/decrease option inside the input field is not removed. It seems like it only affects the firefox browser. I tried it out in chrome and there were no increase/decrease buttons within the input field. It is kind of annoying, because the numbers are hidden, not to mention it looks a bit ugly. I’m not sure whether this is something on my side or does this affect everyone.

2 Likes

That indeed looks like a mess! I’ll put it on my prio to-do list and get it fixed asap :slight_smile: Thanks for reporting!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! (And sorry for the late reply)

Unfortunately it’s a bit difficult to do this, the known words list is sent to the browser where it will check which words are known and not. This also means that it only works when there is data to compare it too (e.g. data of the cards). Because of this it does not work for the decks/dashboard pages as it does not known which cards (and their values) are inside the deck and can not match your known words :sweat:

1 Like