Is it possible to automatically create flashcards from just a list a japanese words?

Hello,
Is it possible to drop a list a japanese words and have the website to automatically look for their english translations and create flashcards ?
I didn’t find how.
Thank you for your help

2 Likes

Yeah, you can! Just use the reader here ^^

bLNe4At

Click on the + sign next to ‘my texts’ to start a new one.

After clicking on that, put in your title, it can be anything. Then just copy-paste your entire list since there’s no word limit :wink:

Click on save and bam! You can now hover-click over any Japanese word and it’ll show the meaning, then click on that card button to create the cards you want :grin:

I hope this is good enough, 1117! Lemme know if there’s anything unclear though :smile:

P.S. Sorry if it looks like my mouse is super hyper, I was too excited to make a tutorial :joy:

7 Likes

Thank you Tomato,

Your tutorial is crystal clear.

With this I can quite easily create cards but it’s still one by one.
I wish there were a way to just select the destination deck and automatically generate a batch of cards from every words of the text.
Using the method you describe the fields of the cards seems very nicely populated by default so I don’t feel the need to edit them.

Thank you for your help

1 Like

In what situations do you find yourself needing this? Where do you get the list from? Is it from a book or a news article? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Once I will reach lv 60 on Wanikani, I’m planning to do lvl 61-70 here and, as a Wanikani user, I’m regularly exposed to people who enjoy kitsun a lot so I’m trying to give it a try over Anki.

When I’m reading a visual novel with texthooker, using Yomichan I can create Anki cards with one click, which is super convenient.
In order to use kitsun over Anki, the idea I came with was, instead of creating an Anki card, I just copy paste the words to a text file, and import it at the end of the session.
It’s not as convenient as Yomichan + Anki, but it’s not bad either.

Plus, long ago I used Duolingo and an Anki addon which pulled vocabulary from Duolingo which created very bad cards, I would like to mass import only the japanese field from Anki and automatically unconjugate verbs and adjectives and clear doubles.

Both of these issues would be fixed with a mass import functionality.

3 Likes

We have several extensions that do this if you want a Yomichan/Anki approach:

2 Likes

You can do a manual anki import which lets you select the fields you wish to import (same with the manual wordlist import for .txt/.csv), but the deconjugations and such are very specific to each language and kinda fall out of scope for imports imo. The reader does this though, but as you mentioned it can not mass generate cards.

I do have plans (which are halfway done with implementation) to show a table of all vocabulary of a text in the reading tool, which you can filter and sort by frequency and such, and that would allow you to generate more (most useful) cards from a text at once.

But mass generation of cards is a bit troublesome for various reasons:

• It fills up the database real quickly if people generate all cards from a book (or something similar)
  • It has to get the dictionary data from somewhere (Jisho.org, or in the case of the reader its in-browser) which brings a big load to their API as well.
  • Handling large amounts of data in general can be heavy on the servers (when you send around 10.000 cards between the client and the server for example).
  • Most cards generated by mass generation, will never get learned/used in the end. There’s a ton of filler data or misparsed data.
  • If a user quits using Kitsun, their massive amount of cards will still be there.

For Anki this is less of a problem, because your cards are stored locally, on your own device, so you can generate as much as you want and not use 80% of it so to say.

I’d say in these cases what I’d recommend is to clean your data through scripts and import the result into Kitsun afterwards.

3 Likes

Thank you @s1212z for the tip.
I’ve tried this script during a reading session and I like it a lot. It brightens my future with kitsun ^^

Thank you @Neicudi for the comprehensive answer.
I might dig into the scripts idea to clean my data but I think I will do it one by one using the reader over several weeks to get even cleaner flashcards. Ultimately, I don’t have to ‘import’ all of them at the same time since I will definitely not review all of them at the same time.

I need to mature my possible migration and I may potentially start it on my next vacation but thank you very much for your help.

4 Likes