The Minor Annoyances Thread

Hey,

This is feedback really specific to the 10k deck. I think it would be good to contact the author (@hinekidori) or post in the 10k deck thread about this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m going to have to confess at this point that I kind of thought you were the same person :expressionless:. Sorry for the confusion, will take it up with them!

1 Like

If you go into Deck Settings -> Layout Filtering you can turn off the layout in question. It’s the Sentence Listening Practice layout.

1 Like

@ulurujamman

Just an FYI I recently deactivated the images in the deck. In case you were interested in using the audio at least.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This would halfway be a minor feature request, but it would be nice if the deck information had an option to show values for things like number/percent of known words, hibernated items, and items pushed to front. Similarly, being able to see % known on community pages for a deck might be interesting. Not that this is super valuable or necessary, its just a curiosity thing that I could only figure out now by running a mildly annoying search in the card management.

I would be less annoyed if my kind of dated pc didn’t run out of memory when loading that page… but that’s what I get for saying “I’ll buy the second stick of RAM next paycheck”.

2 Likes

I noticed, that in settings the increase/decrease option inside the input field is not removed. It seems like it only affects the firefox browser. I tried it out in chrome and there were no increase/decrease buttons within the input field. It is kind of annoying, because the numbers are hidden, not to mention it looks a bit ugly. I’m not sure whether this is something on my side or does this affect everyone.

2 Likes

That indeed looks like a mess! I’ll put it on my prio to-do list and get it fixed asap :slight_smile: Thanks for reporting!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! (And sorry for the late reply)

Unfortunately it’s a bit difficult to do this, the known words list is sent to the browser where it will check which words are known and not. This also means that it only works when there is data to compare it too (e.g. data of the cards). Because of this it does not work for the decks/dashboard pages as it does not known which cards (and their values) are inside the deck and can not match your known words :sweat:

1 Like

Would be great to have the deck descriptions show up in the Community Centre somewhere. Maybe the format doesn’t fit for the title screen tiles when searching decks but when you open a deck to “Get Deck”, seems there is a enough room to add the description contents; now they only appear once downloaded.

1 Like

There’s also the public description field which kinda fits the same role I think? Unless you’re talking about it acting as a sort of “subtitle” on that page?

2 Likes

Adding to public description still works if that is the preference, authors would just have to add it. Honestly I’ve just never noticed before, I had assumed the subtitles were displayed in the CC somewhere. But if authors are putting pertinent info, they may not realize it doesn’t get displayed until downloaded.

2 Likes

Another set of minor feature requests:

• When generating a new item, could we have the default template automatically apply (or suggest) tags for the associated N level or WK level when appropriate? There’s also a little inconsistently with how they’re presented. For instance, I’m looking at an article in the reader that uses the term 「入り口」which the reader view shows and highlights as N5, but doesn’t list a WK level. When searching the dictionary for the same term it comes up as “wanikani1”, but doesn’t list the N-level. In either case, generating a card from the lookup leaves the tags field unpopulated.

• Would it be possible to adjust the list of “My Texts” in the reader to show more of the title without having to hover for the tooltip? It looks fantastic in the sample with covers, but it’s a little difficult to differentiate without that thanks to the titles being truncated to around 3-12 (Japanese) characters on my display. Ironically, the easiest way for me to read the titles is to shrink the viewport until there’s only one item per row.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions!

• The reader uses a different (local) dictionary whereas the dictionary tool uses Jisho.org (who uses the same dictionary but enriched with more data), so that’s where the difference comes from. I’ll put adding the wk/jlpt tags to the dictionary on my list :+1:t2:

• I want to change the design of this page in the near future. Noted!

1 Like

I guess this is Japanese specific, but when creating a card using the dictionary/reader to look up a term using a kanji with multiple forms it seems to populate the vocab field with a different priority than what was searched or selected in text.
登る will result in 上る
つける will similarly use the kanji instead of kana

I could see this behavior being preferred in situations where the search doesn’t match the result, eg. searching せんちょ when looking for 船長 (せんちょう). Some people probably want kanji regardless. I could also see it being a tedious issue to deal with depending on how nicely whatever handles the tokens and conjugations is willing to play.

Really, I have no expectations with this one.

1 Like

真琴 (まこと), cursed… proper noun(?) of no info on the webapp, but actually works on mobile.

pic

2 Likes

Wikipedia definitions are filtered out on the web version as they often contain duplicate information or things like in your screenshot, although it should probably be changed so that if it’s the only definition, it will still show it :laughing:

Ah that makes sense. I’d have to agree the wikipedia bits are usually pretty bad. I have to admit it was pretty funny seeing wrestler appended to the name when I’m reading a story about some scrawny japanese girl that’s probably in high school…

Generally speaking, though, the dictionary has been a huge help for me lately. 9 swole waifus out of 10.

1 Like

Wow, has it really been three weeks since I’ve posted here? This was originally supposed to be a bug report (still is), but I think some of the UI is uh, misleading as hell here.

• If I use the Demote action in Manage Cards to try setting an item to a higher level the UI will update the level of the item “Successfully” when it looks like the tool doesn’t actually allow that.
  • I didn’t put it in my recording, but it’s a little weird that you can try to set the level to invalid numbers (eg. negatives) instead of being clamped to a valid range. It still gives a fail notice and a warning so it’s fine, just weird that I could even try it in the first place.
  • As for the actual bug, trying to demote with no items selected will basically lock up the manage items page. Not the worst thing in the world, but as you can see in the video it kind of takes a while to even load that page so it’s a bit of a #MinorAnnoyance
recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCF-YnCYc90

3 Likes

I tried to replicate the demote lock up in Chrome or Safari but couldn’t. However, I’ve had more lockup issues with Chrome recently for whatever reason, today it was behaving well though.

2 Likes
  • This is actually because you can select any card and it will just do the ones that can get demoted and ignore the rest. So the call went through successfully but some cards might not have been demoted (and never promoted).

• true!

• That’s definitely not supposed to happen! The loading also should not take that long for ~650 cards. I’m kinda curious whether it’s the network call (or clientside cache) or something else that is making it so slow for you.

Regarding the speed, I have changes planned that would increase the speed up to 10x when it comes to the network calls, so if that is the cause for you I’m hopeful this will help a lot :smile:

Thanks for the reports (and video, very handy!) I have an idea of what the cause of the locking page is so expect it fixed soon :slight_smile:

@s1212z hmm, definitely report it to me if it locks again, I’d love to track these issues down ^^

2 Likes