[Discussion & Feedback] So Much Vocab! (Kitsun 10k Edition)

Please use this thread to discuss anything related to the Kitsun Optimized Core 10k community deck.

Topics can include:

• General Feedback and Discussion
  • Synonym requests
  • Fixes
  • Suggestions

We hope you enjoy the deck!

6 Likes

You know my feedback already, but I’d like to be able to quiz Kanji --> Reading. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I would like to include it. Somebody get @neicudi to move forward with implementing sibling filtering!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Yeah @neicudi, get on that! :laughing:

2 Likes

Should I spam you with my lists here or continue sending them through PM? In here, we could have some lovely feedback from other people, but I suggest too much :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

The details feature is your friend!

Hi

hullo

5 Likes

Ok then. I already sent this to @hinekidori a long time ago, but I’ll post it in here in case someone disagrees with my suggestions :DD

0 to 720 (Index)
  • 二十日 accepts 20 days, but not twenty days as a meaning.
  • 年月 has the reading ねんげつ、but notとしつき. としつき sounds more poetic (used more in writing).

https://hinative.com/ja/questions/193161

https://hinative.com/ja/questions/212659

https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/9758760

• 先ず is usually written in kana.
  • どれ is not just “which”, but “which of the three or more”. Maybe add that to the notes.
  • You could add outbound as a meaning to 行き。
  • Changed the main meaning of 大分 to considerably.
  • Changed main meaning of 大型 to large-sized.
  • 大統領 isn’t just being president of a nation, but also of a company.
  • 大幅: Added that it can be both a noun and a na adjective.
  • Changed どちら being “which” to being “which of the two”.
  • I added to notes that 家内 is 謙譲語
  • どれ isn’t just “which”, but “which of the three+”
  • 後 also has the のち reading and not the あと one.
  • Add “noon” as a meaning to 昼
  • Added “middle of the night” as a synonym to 夜中.
  • Added “every night” as a synonym to 毎晩.
  • 昼食 is formal (add that nuance like you have with 朝食)
  • 夕食is formal (add that nuance like you have with 朝食)
  • The card いとこ it’s in hiragana. Maybe add in the notes that there exists words like 従兄弟 (male cousin) and 従姉妹 (female cousin), both with the reading いとこ. Or maybe add these 2 words to the deck.

https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/3906639

The link above might help you with explaining the nuances of all the words meaning dinner. Check the last comment in that link for the best answer.

• Add “point of view” as a main meaning to 見方
  • I would substitute “view” with “viewpoint” as a synonym to 見方
  • どっち is the casual form of どちら (add that to notes maybe). Plus, it’s also used between 2 choices, so I’d make the meaning be which (of the two options).
  • そっち being a casual version of そちら.
  • Add “PoS - pronoun | Casual form or そちら - Far from the speaker, close to the listener.” To the notes.

https://ejje.weblio.jp/content/一言

Check this page for the differences in readings that exist in 一言.

• I would change ちょうど’s main meaning to “exactly” and not as “just”.
  • I would add “to come to one’s senses” and “to become sober” as synonyms for 覚める.
  • Added to ごちそう that it’s a する verb and that it’s 丁寧語
  • Added to both meanings of 話し合う “(together)” for the learner to know the nuance of the word compared to 話す for example.
  • Changed 覚ます meanings to “to awaken someone” and “to wake someone up” to reinforce the idea that it’s a transitive verb.
  • I would remove the meaning “tap water” from 水道 and add water supply instead.
  • I would remove the meaning “road” from 車道 and just leave “roadway”, because this way people understand better that 車道 is only meant for vehicles.
  • I would add “in other words” to the main meaning of つまり
  • 地下 only means underground when used as a prefix. Its main meaning is basement. Check jisho to see this explained + examples:

https://jisho.org/search/地下

• Maybe it’s important to add in the notes’ section the difference between 止むand止まる:

https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/66824

• I would remove the meaning “year” from 年度 and add “fiscal year” instead.
  • 度々 is usually written in kana (source: jisho)
  • It would be cool if you added the nuances between 会長and 社長 to the notes (since they show up one after the other):

https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/3980

• Added “to be propagated” to the meanings of 広まる
  • I would add the nuances of 広まる and広がる on the note section, since they come one right after the other.

https://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/12626/whats-the-difference-between-広める-広げる-and-広まる-広がる

• Added “to let escape (a smile, tear, etc)” to the meanings of こぼれる
  • I would add “tea cup” as a synonym of 茶碗
  • I would add “to get used up” and “to be run out” to the meanings of 無くなる. Your example sentence uses this meaning.
  • Add “to erase” and “to extinguish” as synonyms to 消す
  • I added to the notes of どなた that it’s 尊敬語
  • Fix the typo in 暑い’s meaning: “hot, (of weather)” The “(of weather) is as alternative meaning. You could just make “hot (weather)” as the main meaning. Kitsun will consider right just “hot”.
  • Do the same thing I mentioned above but now with 暑さ
  • I would add “recollections” to the synonyms of 思い出
  • I would add “reflexively” and “spontaneously” to the meanings of 思わず
  • Added “postman” to the meanings of 郵便屋さん
  • I would add “full name” as a synonym of 氏名
  • Changed 見送り meanings to “farewell” and “seeing (someone) off”

I might just continue sending them through PM to Hine (because I send it in a word doc, which might be easier for Hine to organize himself) and here cuz suggestions :DD

3 Likes

I would also add that some people don’t like that word. I don’t, for instance.
The etymology of that word just sucks.

5 Likes

Why not both? :laughing:

Either way is fine with me. I will try to keep track of it all.

1 Like

Yeah 家内 is not great. What is the preferred word? 妻? 女房?

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll do both :stuck_out_tongue: Let me know when you’re into doing say 2 pages of edits and I’ll post them here some days beforehand or so. Until you catch up, I wanna release my suggestions gradually so that things don’t get missed.

2 Likes

I like 妻, personally. I feel it’s the most neutral.
I’ve only heard middle-aged men use 女房, so that’s the association I have in mind, but it might just be me.

Edit: I somehow failed to notice that the full message didn’t get posted.

2 Likes

Btw, one thing that I’m doing (and that I won’t mention in my lists) is that I’m adding transitivity to all verbs. If I had to choose what to do first, I’d do that (at least for the first 1 or 2k).

2 Likes

Why don’t you make a verb pair deck?

@Neicudi Is there a way to have a card take more than one answer or do a matching type of card? For transitivity testing, it would be good to have both verbs visible and you have to pick which one is transitive and which one is intransitive.

2 Likes

I don’t know? :man_shrugging: xD Tbh, I think improving the Core 10k takes priority for now. Plus, I know zero about making layouts/templates (nor do I intend to learn, at least for now). If we’re ever able to teamwork for the same deck as creators, I won’t have any problem contributing with making/improving the content itself. I already have 30% of the Core 10k revised and I’m learning a lot doing so.

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure what you mean by ‘Is there a way to have a card take more than one answer’. I’m guessing you don’t mean the comma delimited answers (e.g. ‘hello,hi,hola’) but more of a multiple choice kinda thingy?

Like two inputs or matching (A and B on the left, X and Y on the right, and you have to match for example A to X and B to Y). That kind of thing.

There isn’t atm. Although multiple choice is coming sooner or later. Not sure how much demand there would be for a matching type though as it seems rather specific. I can put it in the #site-feedback:feature-voting category if you want?

It feels like it would be useful for medics? I don’t really know why, just… feels that way, haha. Might be something to ponder once you start to get more than just language learners on here.

1 Like

Part 2 of my suggestions is here.

I’ll be adding every suggested change to this post, so that everything is easier to search for Hine.

From 0 to 720 (Index) - Added on 2018/10/16
  • 二十日 accepts 20 days, but not twenty days as a meaning.
  • 年月 has the reading ねんげつ、but notとしつき. としつき sounds more poetic (used more in writing).

https://hinative.com/ja/questions/193161

https://hinative.com/ja/questions/212659

https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/9758760

• 先ず is usually written in kana.
  • どれ is not just “which”, but “which of the three or more”. Maybe add that to the notes.
  • You could add outbound as a meaning to 行き。
  • Changed the main meaning of 大分 to considerably.
  • Changed main meaning of 大型 to large-sized.
  • 大統領 isn’t just being president of a nation, but also of a company.
  • 大幅: Added that it can be both a noun and a na adjective.
  • Changed どちら being “which” to being “which of the two”.
  • I added to notes that 家内 is 謙譲語
  • どれ isn’t just “which”, but “which of the three+”
  • 後 also has the のち reading and not the あと one.
  • Add “noon” as a meaning to 昼
  • Added “middle of the night” as a synonym to 夜中.
  • Added “every night” as a synonym to 毎晩.
  • 昼食 is formal (add that nuance like you have with 朝食)
  • 夕食is formal (add that nuance like you have with 朝食)
  • The card いとこ it’s in hiragana. Maybe add in the notes that there exists words like 従兄弟 (male cousin) and 従姉妹 (female cousin), both with the reading いとこ. Or maybe add these 2 words to the deck.

https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/3906639

The link above might help you with explaining the nuances of all the words meaning dinner. Check the last comment in that link for the best answer.

• Add “point of view” as a main meaning to 見方
  • I would substitute “view” with “viewpoint” as a synonym to 見方
  • どっち is the casual form of どちら (add that to notes maybe). Plus, it’s also used between 2 choices, so I’d make the meaning be which (of the two options).
  • そっち being a casual version of そちら.
  • Add “PoS - pronoun | Casual form or そちら - Far from the speaker, close to the listener.” To the notes.

https://ejje.weblio.jp/content/一言

Check this page for the differences in readings that exist in 一言.

• I would change ちょうど’s main meaning to “exactly” and not as “just”.
  • I would add “to come to one’s senses” and “to become sober” as synonyms for 覚める.
  • Added to ごちそう that it’s a する verb and that it’s 丁寧語
  • Added to both meanings of 話し合う “(together)” for the learner to know the nuance of the word compared to 話す for example.
  • Changed 覚ます meanings to “to awaken someone” and “to wake someone up” to reinforce the idea that it’s a transitive verb.
  • I would remove the meaning “tap water” from 水道 and add water supply instead.
  • I would remove the meaning “road” from 車道 and just leave “roadway”, because this way people understand better that 車道 is only meant for vehicles.
  • I would add “in other words” to the main meaning of つまり
  • 地下 only means underground when used as a prefix. Its main meaning is basement. Check jisho to see this explained + examples:

https://jisho.org/search/地下

• Maybe it’s important to add in the notes’ section the difference between 止むand止まる:

https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/66824

• I would remove the meaning “year” from 年度 and add “fiscal year” instead.
  • 度々 is usually written in kana (source: jisho)
  • It would be cool if you added the nuances between 会長and 社長 to the notes (since they show up one after the other):

https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/3980

• Added “to be propagated” to the meanings of 広まる
  • I would add the nuances of 広まる and広がる on the note section, since they come one right after the other.

https://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/12626/whats-the-difference-between-広める-広げる-and-広まる-広がる

• Added “to let escape (a smile, tear, etc)” to the meanings of こぼれる
  • I would add “tea cup” as a synonym of 茶碗
  • I would add “to get used up” and “to be run out” to the meanings of 無くなる. Your example sentence uses this meaning.
  • Add “to erase” and “to extinguish” as synonyms to 消す
  • I added to the notes of どなた that it’s 尊敬語
  • Fix the typo in 暑い’s meaning: “hot, (of weather)” The “(of weather) is as alternative meaning. You could just make “hot (weather)” as the main meaning. Kitsun will consider right just “hot”.
  • Do the same thing I mentioned above but now with 暑さ
  • I would add “recollections” to the synonyms of 思い出
  • I would add “reflexively” and “spontaneously” to the meanings of 思わず
  • Added “postman” to the meanings of 郵便屋さん
  • I would add “full name” as a synonym of 氏名
  • Changed 見送り meanings to “farewell” and “seeing (someone) off”
From 720 to 1596 (Index) - Added on 2018/10/20
  • Add the meaning “to interpret” to 受け取る
  • Changed the meaning of 持って行く from “take” to “to carry (something) away”
  • Added “school commute” as the main meaning of 通学
  • Added to どんどん that it’s a onomatopoeia and that it can also means “steadily”
  • “closet” is a WK word, but has no tag of it.
  • Added “to summarize” to the meanings of まとめる
  • Added “without fail” and “certainly” to the synonyms of 必ず
  • Changed main meaning of 貸し出す to “to lend out”, since it adds the nuance of 出す
  • Sold out would be a better meaning for 売り切れ in my opinion.
  • Same with 売り切れる: to be sold out (since it’s intransitive)
  • You have 2 cards for なかなか: 1 when used with the affirmative form and the other when used in the negative form. Maybe add something in the “subtitle” to distinguish both.
  • I would change the meaning of そんなに to “that much” instead. It makes more sense due to having そんな in it.
  • 運賃 also means shipping expenses.
  • Added “money on hand” as a synonym to 現金
  • Added “just past noon” as a synonym to 昼過ぎ
  • Find a way to distinguish 表 (おもて) from 表 (ひょう). Maybe add subtitles like “location” and “Displaying”.
  • 欲しがる is used to express other people’s desires. I would add that as a tip or something. Otherwise it will get mixed with 欲しい.
  • Changed the meaning of 真っ直ぐ from “straight” to “straight (ahead)”. It makes the meaning more clear in my opinion.
  • Changed the main meaning of いつでも to “(at) any time”.
  • Added “crossroad” as a meaning of 四つ角
  • I would add the meaning “rectangular” to 四角い in order to reinforce the idea that it’s an adjective (right now the only meaning is “square”.
  • Added “street corner” and “turning point” to the meanings of 曲がり角
  • Added “to bend” to 曲がる
  • I would change the meaning of 洋服 to “western style clothes”.
  • It would be smart to add to めったに that it’s only used in sentences in the negative form.
  • Add that 課 can be used to also mean “lesson” and it’s used as a counter for lessons and chapters (of a book).
  • Added the mention to ご主人 that it’s 尊敬語
  • Added “demanding” as a synonym to きつい
  • I would say that 入院 sounds better as “hospitalization” then as “be hospitalized”. 入院 itself is a noun after all.
  • Added to お医者さん the mention that it’s 丁寧語
  • I would add “caution” as a synonym to 注意
  • おしゃれ is also a na adjective, not just a する verb
  • 確か can also be used as an adverb to mean “If I’m not mistaken”/”If I remember correctly”.
  • Add “request” as a synonym of お願い
  • I would add that 正月 mainly refers to the first week of January (with emphasis on the first 3 days). This tip is useful to distinguish between other words translated as “new year”.
  • I would add “partner” as a meaning to 相手
  • Added “to assemble” as a meaning of 組み立てる
  • 転勤 is exclusive to jobs, so I would change the meanings to “job transfer” and “job relocation”.
  • 事務室 means office but as a room, while 事務所 means office as a building. I’d add that difference in the notes of both.
  • Same is true for 研究室 and 研究所. I would add the nuance to those as well.
  • ひげ can also mean whiskers.
  • Add “to throw away” to 捨てる
  • I added “to let fall” to the synonyms of 落とす
  • Added “to be prevalent” as a synonym of 流行る
  • Added side dish as a synonym of おかず
  • Added “to shiver” as a meaning of 震える
  • Added “to swing” as a meaning of 振る
  • 建設 has as synonyms “construction” and “(of a building, road, bridge, etc.)”. You should just have them together as one synonym because the latter is a follow up of the former.
  • 停車 also refers to the stoppage of a car. Right now, you only mention a stop of a train. I would also add car to give the idea that it’s not exclusive to trains.
  • I would remove “region” as a synonym of 周辺 and add vicinity instead. It’s a more specific term to describe what 周辺 is.
  • 辺 can also mean “edge (geometry)”. If you google image it, you’ll only see cubes xD
  • 検討 has both synonyms as just one.
  • I added “to get to know (someone)” as a synonym of 近づく
  • Added “to settle (a problem)” to the synonyms of 片付ける
  • Added “to be solved (a problem)” to the synonyms of 片付く
  • Added “dislike of” as a synonym of 苦手
  • Added “good-for-nothing” as a synonym of くだらない
  • In 困る, I substituted “not know what to do” with “to be stumped”
  • Ok, I just did a weird thing with 濃い:
    Main meaning: deep (color, love)
    Other meanings: strong (flavor, smell), thick (consistency), strong (possibility)

Do what you want with this xD

• With 薄い, I changed the meaning “weak” to “weak (taste, etc)” and added “little (affection, etc) as a synonym. The meaning “thin” only refers to objects.
  • Added “to urge (something to someone)” as a meaning of 迫る
  • Edited the meaning “grow” of 伸びる to “to grow (hair, height, grass, etc)”
  • Changed 越える’s synonyms to “to cross over, to pass through”. Feels more clear to me.
From 1596 to 2101 (Index) - Added on 2018/10/24
  • Removed 出身’s meanings and added “person’s origin (city, country, parentage, school)​”. I feel like it’s clearer this way.
  • Added the meaning “to beckon” to 招く
  • Added “beat of one’s heart” to the meanings of どきどき (onomatopoeia)
  • Changed お祝い’s meaning from “celebrate” to “celebration”, since it’s a noun, not a verb.
  • Added “to waver” and “to hesitate” as meanings of 迷う
  • Added “to gift” as a meaning of 贈る
  • Added “to look after” and “to be given responsibility for” as meanings of 預かる
  • Added “acid” to the meanings of 酸っぱい
  • Added “drawing” as a meaning of 絵
  • Changed the meaning of 絵葉書to “(picture) postcard” because 葉書 is a thing xD (difference being that the former has a picture and the latter doesn’t).
  • Added “wavering (e.g. over a decision)” as a meaning of ぐらぐら
  • Added “to smoke” to the meanings of 吸う
  • Added that よろしい is 尊敬語
  • For 手術, I have to reply with surgical operation. Operation won’t be considered correct. So, I suggest as meanings “surgery” and “(surgical) operation”
  • I would add that 教授 can also mean “instruction” and will act as a suru verb in here.
  • 伝言 is exclusively a verbal message, not just a message.
  • Changed meaning of あめ from “candy” to “(hard) candy”.
  • I would make more implicit that 鳴く is both to cry/to sing for animals.
  • Added “patiently” to the meanings of じっと
  • As an interesting fact, I added to the word いびき that “to snore” is いびきをかく
  • I think that for 倒れる, having the meanings of “to collapse” and “to get knocked down” would be way better than “to fall down”. Just google image the word, and you’ll see.
  • I added that 突き当たる can mean “to run into” both for subjective things (like problems), but also with physical stuff (like a tree).
  • 弾く is exclusively for keyboard and stringed instruments… so I would add that.
  • Removed the meaning “really” of どうしても and added the meaning “no matter what”
  • Added the meaning “to let one’s feelings show” to 零す
  • Changed the meaning of お釣り from “change (of money)” to “change (from a purchase)”, as it makes more sense to me… but maybe that’s my non-native speaker mind talking.
  • I would change 浴びる’s meaning to “to bathe”, as “to take (a shower)” might make the user think that’s exclusive to showering (like how in English we have to take a shower vs to bathe).
  • Added “to excite (an applause, cheering)” to the meanings of 沸かす
  • Added “to erupt (in applause, cheering)” to the meanings of 沸く
  • Added “more and more” to the meanings of いよいよ
  • 怠ける is both an intransitive and transitive verb, apparently. Your definitions represent the intransitive side. For the transitive one, I added “to neglect (one’s work)”. Weblio’s examples seem to show that the transitive verb is the more common one. Not sure though. I added on the notes “Both an intransitive and transitive verb”
  • 炊く is used to cook any grains, so I changed its meaning to “to cook (grains e.g. rice)”
  • Added “steadily” to the meanings of どんどん
  • I’d add “fur” to the meanings of 毛
  • I’d specify that 髪の毛 is head hair
  • I added “to exhaust” to the meanings of 尽くす
  • Added the meaning “to carry in one’s arms” to 抱える
  • Added “properly” to the meanings of しっかり
  • I would add “nostalgic” to the meanings of 懐かしい
  • Added “perseverance” to the meanings of 我慢
  • Changed 頃’s meaning to “(approximate) time”
  • Added the meaning “futility” to 無駄
  • Changed 畳む’s meaning to “to fold (clothes, umbrella, futon)”. Also, Jisho says the katakana version is more common.
  • Added the meaning “robust” to 丈夫
  • Added “nuisance” as a meaning of 邪魔
  • Added to the notes that 梅雨 happens in Japan from early June to mid-July.
  • Changed the main meaning of 諦める to “to give up” and changed the meaning “to abandon” to “to abandon (dreams, plans)”.
  • Added “quarrel” to the meanings of 喧嘩
  • Added “briefly” to the meanings of 一旦
  • Added “new moon” to the meanings of 三日月
  • Added “tens” to the meanings of 何十
  • Added “without knowing why” to the meanings of 何となく
  • Changed 何て’s meanings to “what!” and “how!” and added in the notes “(Shows surprise, admiration)”.
  • Changed ついで’s meaning “on the way” to “while (you are) at it”.
  • Changed “先日” from being a “noun” to being “adverbial noun”
  • Added toすっくり the meaning “relieved”.
  • I changed 行 (ぎょう)’s meaning from “line” to “line (of text)”.
  • 日帰り’s meaning is “a day trip”. I changed it to “day trip” for simplicity.
  • You have “new year’s eve” as 大みそか。However, the kanji version 大晦日 is 4x+ more common on Google. I changed it to show the kanji version instead.
  • For 大 (だい), I added “loud (volume)” to the meanings. I removed the meaning “big” for the sake of simplicity.
  • Removed all the meanings of 大いに and added “in a great extent” as the only meaning. I think it makes way more sense this way, since it’s an adverb.
  • Added to the subtitles/notes that 大して is used with sentences in the negative form.
  • Changed the meanings of 偉大 to “grand”, “magnificent” and “mighty” in order to differentiate it from all the words that can mean “great”.
  • Added “a few”/”some” as a meaning of 多少
  • Added “upper and lower ends” as meanings of 上下 (for both じょうげ and うえした)
From 2101 to 2369 (Index) - Added on 2018/10/29
  • Changed the meaning of 出入り to “going in and out” because “coming and going” might cause some confusion with 行き来
  • Changed 内閣’s meaning to “cabinet (of a government)” since it’s specific to politics.
  • Changed 一休み’s meaning from “rest” to “(short) rest”.
  • On 休める, “(body etc.)” is somehow a 2nd meaning instead of being part of the 1st and only meaning.
  • Added “absence (from work)” as a meaning of 休暇 because I feel like it helps understanding how this word is different from all the other holiday/vacation words.
  • Added “what the heck” to一体 because I can. Ok, it’s because it sounds more casual then “what on earth”.
  • Added “in the first place” as a meaning to 大体
  • Added “heating power” and “thermal power” as meanings of 火力
  • On 出力, I changed the meaning from “output” to “output (electrical, signal, etc)”
  • I’d make a distinction between もっか and めうえ (both 目下) as a tip to know which one the system wants. Like もっか being the adverb or something: “目下 (adv)”
  • Added “entrance as a meaning of 出入り口
  • Changed meanings of 一口 to “a mouthful” and “a bite” to make it clearer of the 一 meaning.
  • Changed 窓口’s meaning from “window” to “ticket window” instead. It isn’t just a regular window, after all.
  • Added “discussion” to the meanings of 口喧嘩 to make it clear that it’s verbal. You can also change the meaning to (verbal) quarrel.
  • Added the meaning “maintenance” to 手入れ
  • Why using あしもと as 足下? Sure, 足下 is a way to write it, but it only gives 10 million results on google. 足元 is the most common version with 126 million. Jisho also chooses足元 as the main version.
  • Changed the meaning “step” from 足下 (now 足元) to “one’s step”. More accurate.
  • Changed “limbs” to the main meaning of 手足
  • Added “hollow” as a meaning of 空っぽ
  • Added “empty space” as a meaning of 空き
  • Added “marine” to the meanings of 海上
  • For 水田, I changed the meaning from “paddy rice” to “(water-filled) paddy rice”. It’s a mess having a bunch of words meaning “paddy rice” already (I know 4 by now). This way, at least we know what distinguishes them.
  • Apparently, 田んぼ focus on the surface itself of the rice field, so I changed its meaning to “rice field (focuses on the surface itself)”.

Source: http://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/articles/1806/06/news049.html

• For 女房, I changed the meaning to “wife (esp. one’s own wife)​” , since that’s what Jisho suggests.
  • Check the meanings for 男子. The “(usually over the age of 7)” is being considered as an isolate meaning and not part of “boy”.
  • I’d add on 友人’s notes that the former is more formal than 友達
  • Changed the first meaning of 気分 to mood.
  • Added “light rain” to the meanings of 小雨 because I wasn’t aware of the word “drizzle”. Maybe it might be useful to add “light rain” for non-English natives?
  • Added “youth” to the meanings of 青年
  • On 明ける, I changed the meaning of “end” to “to end (a period, season)”.
  • Added “distinct” and “articulate” to the meanings of 明瞭
  • On the word あきれる, I changed the 2nd meaning “be amazed at” to “to be (negatively) amazed at”, since the word seems to exclusively used in negative contexts.
  • Added the meaning “entering an institution” to 入門
  • Added the meaning “room” to 空間 so that people don’t think that it means “space” as “going to space”.
  • Pretty much most websites are translating いつの間にか as being “before someone knows”, which gives a different vibe than “without noticing”. So I substituted the latter with the former.
  • Added “deterioration” to the meanings to 低下
  • Added “frontward” to the meanings of 前方
  • 出前 is also a suru verb, but it’s only mentioned as a noun.
  • Added “forward-looking” to the meanings of 前向き
  • Added “backward-looking” and “negative” to 後ろ向き
  • For 明々後日, I changed the meaning to “in three days’ time” because that seems more natural than “three days from today”. Just my 2c.
  • I added “before and after” and “front and back” to the meanings of 前後. Those seem to actually be the main meanings of the word.
  • The main meaning of 後半 is latter half, but I feel like second half is way more common?
  • Added “final years (in life)​” to the meanings of 晩年
  • Changed the meaning of ゆでる from “boil” to “to boil (something in hot water).
  • Changed the meanings of 見上げる to “to look up at” and “to look up to”.
  • Changed the meaning of 見下ろす to “to look down on” and “to despise”.
  • Changed the meanings of 本文 to “text (of a book, document, etc)”, “body (of a letter)”​ and “this passage”.
  • I added the meaning “until the end of time” to いつまでも. I feel like that’s a good way to understand the grammatical side of it.
  • Added “postscript” to the meanings of 後書き
  • Changed 秘書’s meaning from “secretary” to “private secretary”. A government secretary is another term apparently.
  • Added “preparedness” to the meanings of 覚悟
  • Improved the 2nd meaning of 開会 to “start (of a meeting, event)”
  • Improved the meaning of 閉会 to “closure (of a ceremony, event, meeting)”​
  • Changed the meaning of 間に合わせる to “to make do with” for extra precision.
  • Added “formal marriage interview” as the main meaning of 見合い since it’s more straight to the point than the meaning already there. I left both there both.
  • Removed the meaning “talk” from 話し合い and added the meanings “discussion” and “conference”. Google images tends more to these meanings.
  • Removed all the meanings of 隣り合う and added “to sit side by side​” and “to stand side by side”.
From 2369 to 2641 (Index) - Added on 2018/11/03
  • Added “choir” to the meanings of 合唱
  • Added “grumble” to the meanings of ぶつぶつ
  • Added “working adult” as a way to add a more simple meaning of the word 社会人
  • すっと is also a suru verb
  • Added “full house” and “sold out” as meanings of 満員
  • にっこり is also a suru verb
  • Added “human resources” as a meaning of 人事
  • For 炊事, “(for oneself or one’s family)” is treated as a 2nd meaning, but it actually belongs to the 1st meaning.
  • For 出場, I changed the meaning “participation” to “Participation (e.g. in a tournament)”
  • Added “assembly hall” to the meanings of 会場
  • Changed 下車’s meaning from “getting off” to “getting off (from train, bus, etc.)”
  • Changed 汽車’s meaning from “train” to “train (esp. long distance train)​”
  • Added “to lose patience” as a meaning of いらいら
  • 交わす has the info in parentheses as the 2nd meaning, instead of it being together with the 1st meaning.
  • For 通行、I changed the meaning “passage” to “passage (of traffic, people)”.
  • 人通り is just not traffic, but pedestrian traffic.
  • For 黒字, I changed “the black” to “(being in) the black” and added profit as another meaning.
  • For しびれる, I removed the meaning “fall asleep” as it might cause confusion. I didn’t find any example that showed it being used as a person falling asleep or something. I guess it’s related to “to become numb”. Also, I added the meaning “to be excited”.
  • For 図々しい, I added “insolent” as another meaning.
  • For 他方、info in parentheses is being considered as a 2nd meaning. Also, I would change the meanings to “other way”, “other side”.
  • For ぎっしり、I changed “tightly” to “tightly (packed)”. I also removed the meaning “closely” and changed it to crammed. Google images confirms this more.
  • Added “closed to traffic” as a meaning of 交通止め
  • Removed the meaning “beginning” of 初歩. The meaning “basics” is clear enough.
  • 徒歩 is not a suru verb, like you have indicated.
  • I removed all meanings of 一度に and added “all at once”.
  • I’d suggest adding on the notes/subtitles of 二度と saying that it’s used with a verb in the negative form.
  • 高度 can also mean altitude (just as a noun).
  • 年長 is also a na adjective. I added “senior” as a meaning to follow that same idea.
  • For 広場, I changed the main meaning to “plaza” and “square”. Seems more accurate than “open space” (3rd meaning).
  • For 全力, I added “all one’s power (strength, energy, efforts)” as the main meaning, since I feel like it will be easier to associate the EN meaning with the JP word this way. I removed “full capacity” as a meaning.
  • For 大部分, I removed the meaning “most” and added the meanings “majority” and “most part”
  • For 外部, I changed the meaning “outside” to “outside (of the building, group, company, etc)”. More explanatory of the meaning of the word. I also removed the meaning “outer”, for not being necessary anymore.
  • For 内部, I removed “inner parts” and add “inside” as a synonym.
  • For 部門, I changed “division” to “division (or a larger group)”.
  • For 部長, I changed the meaning “department head” to “head (department, school club)” and also added the meaning “director”.
  • For 国土, I removed the meaning “territory” and changed “country” to “country (referencing its territory)”.
  • For 大国, I changed “large country” to “major country”… It feels to me that this way, it shows that it’s more about being a powerful country and not necessarily about the area of the country itself.
  • For 出世、I changed the meaning “social success in life” to “success in life”.
  • I added “railroad” as a meaning to 鉄道
  • For 屋上, I changed the main meaning to rooftop.
  • For 地味、I added the meaning “reserved (behaviour, attitude, etc)”.
  • For 味わう, I added this as the main meaning: “to taste (food, victory, pain)”.
  • I added “potable water” to the meanings of 飲み水
  • For 分解, I added “disassembly” and “dismantling” to the meanings. I removed “taking apart”, but I also think you can leave it there.
  • For 見解, I changed the meaning “view” to “point of view” for the sake of being 100% clear.
  • You have two 解く: とく and ほどく… I’d try to figure out a way to distinguish them when the user sees解く. Jisho says the latter is written in kana, for example.
  • Added “utility” as a meaning of 使い道
  • 使い (errand) can be used as a suru verb.
  • Added “employee” as the main meaning of 使用人
  • Added “private business” as a meaning of 私用. It’s also a suru verb
  • Added “needless” to the meanings of 無用
  • For 費やす, I changed the meaning “spend” to “to spend (time, money)”
  • For 安売り, I removed the meaning “sale”, left “bargain” there, and added “selling cheaply” as a meaning. This helps make it clear of what it means (since we get bombarded by a bunch of vocab related to sale/sell).
  • Added “main store” to the meanings of 本店
  • 開店 can be both opening the store for the day, or actually inaugurating the store… So I’d change the meaning to “opening of a store (for the day or as an inauguration)”.
  • Same with 閉店: I’d change the meaning to “closing up store (for the day)” and “stopping business”.
  • For 部品, I added “components” as a meaning.
  • Removed the meanings of 一段と and added “all the more”. I feel like it includes all the usage of this “word”.
  • For 手段, I removed the meaning “way” and added the meaning “measures”.
  • For 段, I changed the meaning to “counter for steps”.
  • To 値上がり, I added “increase in value” as a meaning.
From 2642 to 2835 (Index) - Added on 2018/11/04
  • Added “Spring equinox” to the meanings of 春分

• For 秋分、I added “fall equinox” as a meaning.

• For あっさり、I removed the meaning “easily” because “bluntly” is more accurate, and added the 2nd meaning “lightly (seasoned food, applied make-up, etc)”.

• For 秋風、I added “fall breeze” as a meaning.

• For どうにか, I changed the meaning “somehow” to “in one way or another”. There are a lot of “somehow”s already in the deck. This is to help distinguish them.

• For 内心, I added “in one’s heart” as a meaning.

• For 肝心, I added the meaning “vital” because I feel like it’s easier to associate that translation to the word itself, due to the fact that the JP word uses the kanji for liver and heart.

• For 思いがけない、I added the meaning “contrary to expectations” because it feels closer to the JP word.

• For 思いやり、I added “consideration” as the main meaning.

• For 知事、I changed the meaning of “governor” to “prefectural governor” to be clearer of what it is.

• For 未知、I added the meaning “not yet known” because it helps so much to understand the kanji and therefore, memorize the word.

• For 可, I added the meaning “acceptable”. I also added that it’s used as a suffix to the PoS.

• For 不明、I changed the meaning from “unknown” to “unclear”. It’s so much clearer this way.

• For 不安、I changed the meaning from “worried” to “anxiety”.

• For 不通、I added the meaning “suspension”.

• For しょっちゅう、I added the meaning “constantly”.

• 小便 is a suru verb (jisho and weblio confirms it).

• For 便り、I added “news” to the meanings.

• For 便箋、I added “writing paper” as a meaning as well, since it seems that the word is not exclusive to letters. I checked this on google images.

• For 住宅地、isn’t “residential area” a more common name for it (instead of residential district)?

• For 所々、I added that it’s a adverbial noun (not just a noun).

• 氏 can also be “Mrs”, “Miss”. I also added in the subtitles/notes that it’s sonkeigo.

• For 名称、I added “title” as a meaning.

• Check the spacing of the meanings on 市場 (しじょう)

• Check the spacing of the meanings on 市場 (いちば)

• For 市場 (いちば), I changed the meaning “marketplace” to “(town) market” so that it adds the concept that it’s a physical place, contrary to市場 (しじょう).

• For 市場 (いちば) kanji => meaning/reading, I think it’s important to add something that distinguishes from 市場 (しじょう), or else they won’t know the answer. For the kanji section in your template, I changed it to ”市場 (physical place)”.

• Check the spacing of the meanings in 市.

• Weblio and Jisho both translate 町中 to “downtown”, so I’d probably add that as a synonym.

• For 町外れ、I changed the meaning “outskirts of town” to “outskirts of a town”.

• For さっと、I changed “quickly” to “quickly (esp. actions)” and added the meaning “suddenly”.

• For 都心, I added “city centre” to the meanings.

• For 食物、I changed the meaning from “food” to “foodstuff” because it’s still a valid synonym and we already have enough words meaning “food”. This helps distinguishing them.

• For 物覚え、I changed the meaning “learning things” to “ability to learn”.

• For 物価、I changed “prices” to “prices (in general)” and added “prices of commodities” as another meaning. This way, it’s easier to grasp its nuance, compared to all the other words meaning “price”.

• For 物知り、I removed the meaning “wise person” and changed it to “well-informed person”. The latter seems more appropriate to the real meaning, it’s easier to associate with the kanji and it’s used by both jisho and weblio.

• You have the item なま物、but it seems to be more commonly written as 生物? Idk. If true, I’d give a tip somewhere saying that it’s related to food (so that people don’t think it’s asking for せいぶつ)

• I added “raw food” as a meaning of なま物。

• For 重たい、I changed the meaning from “heavy” to “heavy (physical and psychologically)”.

• For 重ねる、I removed all meanings and added the following: “to pile up”, “to stack up” and “to repeat many times over”.

• For 重なる、I removed all meaning and added the following: “to be piled up (objects, stress, etc)”, “to come one after another” and “to overlap”.

• For 重み、I changed the meaning “weight” to “weight (of objects, opinion)”.

• For 気軽、I removed all meanings and added “carefree” and “lighthearted”.

• As a way to distinguish 多量and大量 (since they come one after the other), I changed 大量’s meaning, as they are indeed used differently. 多量 is 100% okay. For 大量、I removed all the meanings and added “massive (quantity)” and mass (e.g. mass production, mass destruction)”​ as meanings.

• For 送金、I added the meaning “remittance”.

• For ぺこぺこ (the one that means “bow” or “kowtow”), I added the meaning “giving in (in a submissive manner)”.

• For 受け止める、I added the meaning “to react”.

• For 取り上げる、I removed all the meanings and I added “to take up (proposal, complaint)” and “to take away”.

• For 取り消す, I added the meaning “to take back ( one’s words, etc)”.

• 取り消し is tagged as a suru verb. Why? The verb version is 取り消す so it’s not really a suru verb.

• 取れる has a bunch of meanings and you have 2 cards with 取れる. Maybe turn that into just one card and add the following meanings “to come off”, “(fever, pain, etc) to disappear” and “to be harvested”. Plus, depending on the meaning, it can be intran or tran verb.

From 2835 to 2944 (Index) - Added on 2018/11/04
  • For 遠足、I’d change the meaning from “field trip” to just “trip” and add “excursion” as the main meaning. It’s also a する verb.

• For 待ち合わせ、I changed the main meaning to appointment. Also, it isn’t a suru verb. The verb is 待ち合わせる.

• Maybe add “looking forward to” to the meanings of 待ち遠しい。

• For 待遇、I’d add “working conditions” as a meaning.

• For たぶたぶ、I added the meaning “loose (of clothing)”. It’s a better meaning for it then “too big” imo.

• For 長持ち、I think it makes more sense translating it as “long-lasting” than “lasting long”. I also changed this one to the main meaning.

• For 打ち上げる、I removed the meaning “blast off” and added the meaning “to launch”.

• For 打ち合わせ、I feel like “meeting” might be too general of a term (plus, it’s a mendoukusai to distinguish it from other words meaning “meeting”). So, I removed all meanings and added “preparatory meeting” and “advance arrangements”. This is closer to its nuance.

• Same with 打ち合わせる、I removed all meanings and added “to arrange (e.g. a meeting)” and “to discuss (in advance)”​

• For 打ち消す、I left as meanings: “to contradict (an effect)” and “to deny (a rumor)”.

• For 値打ち、I added “merit”. This allows to understand that this word isn’t just used for money and all that stuff. A person can have 値打ち。

• For おだてる、I added “to sweet talk” as a meaning.

• For 投書、I removed all meanings and added “letter (of complaint)”, “letter from a reader” and “contribution (to a newspaper, magazine, etc)”.

• For 投票、I added the meaning “poll”.

• 役 is usually used as a suffix.

• For かかと、I changed the meaning from “heel” to “heel (of foot, shoe)”.

• For ほっと、I added “(sigh of) relief” as a meaning and also added that it’s a suru verb.

• For 人生, it has as the meaning “one’s life (to lead)”. Idk what “to lead” means here, so idk what to do with it… xD

• For 生み出す、I removed all meanings and added “to give birth (to ideas, a child)” and “to create”.

• For 生け花、I changed the meaning “flower arrangement” to “(Japanese art of) flower arrangement”. This thing is very much Japanese.

• For 生理, I added in the notes “This is the term used in day-to-day conversations.”.

• For 生物, I changed “living creature” to “organism”. It’s the academic word for living things. I added “(academic term)” as the subtitle of the card.

• 生き物 is then “living thing”, since it’s the non-scientific term (+ casual, notice how it has hiragana). I added to the subtitles “(non-scientific term)”.

• For 生じる、I added that this word can be both transitive and intransitive, depending on how the sentence is built.

• For 生ずる、I added the subtitle “(Literary)” and added in the notes that 生ずる is a more literary version of 生じる and it can also be a transitive and intransitive verb.

• I changed 生き生きと to 生き生き because that’s the actual adverb. I also removed “vigorously” as a meaning and added “energetically”, since it’s more straightforward imo.

• For 生かす、I removed all meanings and added “to revive (someone’s life)” and “to put to good use” as meanings.

• For 生やす、I removed the meaning and added “to grow (a beard, hair, nails, etc)”.

• For 生涯、I removed the meaning “life” and added “throughout one’s life”.

• For 産地、I removed the meaning “production center” because I feel it’s not necessary. There’s “production area” as a meaning already, which is what feels more logical for this word (birth + land).

• For 活字、I added “print” as a meaning.

• For 活用、I removed all meanings and added “practical use” and “(grammatical) conjugation”.

• For 活躍、I removed all meanings and added “activity (esp. energetic)” and “playing an active role​”

• Added “school expenses” as a meaning of 学費 because why not.

• For 学ぶ、I added to the notes that this can be used both for learning things by yourself (self-study) or with the help of others (with a teacher, for example). In other words, it doesn’t have limitations in usage. This is important because it will help distinguish this verb with 習う (this one implying that you’re always learning from someone).

• For 校庭、I removed the meaning “school field” because I feel like there are better words for it. I added “schoolyard” and “school grounds” as meanings.

• For 教員、I changed the meaning “faculty staff” to “faculty member” and added the meaning “teaching staff”.

• For 教わる、I changed the meanings to “to be taught (by)” and “to learn from”.

• For 教え, I changed the meaning to “teachings (to follow)”.

• For つい、I added the meanings “quite near” and “just (now, yesterday, etc)”. I also added this to the notes: “PoS - adverb | It means “quite near” when followed by a location | It means “just” when followed by a temporal noun.”

• For 制御、I changed the meaning “control” to “control (of a machine or device, over an opponent, one’s emotions)”

• For 力強い、I added the meaning “reassuring”.

• For 強気、I added the meaning “bullish (market)” and changed the meaning to “strong-willed”.

• For 心強い、I changed “heartening” to be the main meaning.

• For 強制、I changed the meaning “force” to “enforcement” and added the meaning “coercion”.

• Ok, I tried to make a distinction between 体制 and 制度 because they both have “system” as the meaning and their nuance might be hard to grasp. So:

• 体制 means “system”, “structure” and I added this to the notes:

“PoS - noun | A system/structure with a set of rules and policies a particular group of people must obey to work effectively as a team. Tip: it uses the kanji 体 (body). Ex: 政治体制 (political system).”

• For 制度, I added as meanings “system” and “program” and added this to the notes:

“PoS - noun | A system or program that is used in a company, society or organization and that has been introduced to help deal with something else. Ex: 産休制度 (maternity leave program).”

Long notes, I know… However, I made sure to see how they would like (avoid making them too messy).

From 2945 to 3072 (Index) - Added on 2018/11/04
  • For 強まる、I added the meaning “to intensify”.

• For 強める、I added the meanings “to emphasize” and “to increase”.

• For 弱気、I added the meaning “bearish (market)”, and substituted the meaning “wimpy” to “fainthearted”.

• For 引き分け、I changed the meaning “draw” to “draw (in a game, competition)”.

• I would add to the notes of 字引 “PoS - noun | It means dictionary, but it’s rarely used. It’s used in a cool word though: 生き字引 (walking dictionary).”

• I also used to the subtitles “(rarely used)” to 字引 so people could know which one they’re asking for in EN => JP.

• For 引き受ける、I changed the meaning “take on” to “to take on (a job, task)”, removed the meaning “accept” and added the meaning “to vouch for someone”.

• For 取引、I removed the meaning “transaction” and added “negotiation”.

• For 引き取る、I changed the meaning “take back” to “to claim” and changed the meaning “take custody” to “to take custody (of a child)”.

• For 引きずる、I changed the meaning “drag on” to “to drag along (something or someone)”.

• For 押さえる、I changed the meaning “hold down” to “to hold down (door, position, someone, etc)”.

• For 見習う、I changed the meaning “learn” to “to learn (by observation)”.

• For 学習、I added in the notes “PoS - verbal noun | It’s a fairly big word. It implies a more structured and planned studying.”

• Also for 学習, I added in the subtitles “(used more often by teachers than by students)” to help EN => JP.

• For 慣れ、I’d put “habituation” as the main meaning. When I saw the meaning “getting used to”, I was expecting the verb, not the noun. So changing to “habituation” might help with avoiding mixing them up.

• For 慣らす、I removed those 2 meanings and added just “to accustom to”. The other meanings were confusing.

• For 入試、I would add in the notes that it’s an abbreviation of 入学試験

• For 試し, I removed all meanings and added “trial” and “test”. More straight to the point.

• For 試す、I only left the meaning “to test”. “To try” will cause people to mix it with “試みる”, which is what I’m trying to avoid (so I removed it).

• For 試みる、I left the meaning “to try”, removed the meaning “to attempt” and added “to have a go at something”.

• For 品質、I changed the meaning “quality” to “(material) quality”.

• For 悪質、I added the meanings “poor-quality” and “malicious”. I’d probably remove either “vicious” to avoid repetition of the same thing.

• For 物質、I’d change “substance” as being the main meaning and change “matter” to “(physical) matter”.

• For 性質、I added the meaning “temperament” and removed the meaning “property”.

• Forかえって, I added the meaning “on the contrary” and added on the notes “Used to describe a result/event that was contrary to one’s expectations”.

• For 問い合わせる、I changed the meaning “to ask for (information)” to “to ask for information”.

• For 問い、I added in the notes “Used in more literary contexts”.

• Same for 問う。

• For 話題、I changed “topic of a conversation” to “topic (of a conversation)”. A shorter answer is enough here.

• For 題名、I changed the meaning “title” to “title (of a book, poem, movie)”.

• Idk what to do with 題, but I feel like it needs a change…

• Added “site” to 地点

• For 少数, I changed the meaning “decimal” to “decimal fraction”.

• For 多数、I removed the meaning “a lot of” and added “majority”.

• For 複数、I removed all the meanings and added “plural” and “multiple” to the meanings.

• For 点数、I changed the meaning “point” to “points”.

• For 後回し、I added the meaning “putting off”.

• 回り道、I added that it’s a suru verb.

• For 回路、I changed the meaning “circuit” to “(electric) circuit” and added the meaning “cycle (krebs cycle)”.

• For 個々、I added as the main meaning “one by one”.

• For 勝手、I added the meaning “one’s own convenience”.

• For 決勝、I changed the meaning “final game” to “finals (in sports)”. Final game is more 決勝戦, I guess. I also removed the meaning “championship”.

• 分担’s meaning right now is “assigning/sharing tasks”, which is a little weird to type out. I changed the meaning to “sharing (of tasks, expenses)”.

• For 負担、I removed the meaning “charge” and added the meanings “load” and “responsibility”.

• For 担ぐ、I changed the meaning “carry” to “to carry on one’s shoulder”. I also added in the notes “It always implies carrying something physical.”

• For 番地、I added “address” as a meaning. I also added to the notes “This is a way to identify a specific plot of land in your address in some locations in Japan.”

• For 当日、the meaning was not spaced correctly. I’d change it to “the day (of the event, etc)”. I would also add as a meaning “appointed day”.

• For 当分、I’d change the 2nd meaning “for the time being” as the main meaning. In my opinion, it’s the most common interpretation.

• For 当局、I changed the meaning “authorities” to “(school, civil, etc) authorities”. I feel like it makes the usage more clear.

• For 当てる、I added the meanings “to guess something” and “to hit (something, the jackpot)”. I specified the jackpot because it’s a specific meaning and you had 1 meaning just for it, but you were missing the general term of it (ex: hitting a ball).

• For 当たり、I removed the meaning “to come true” and added the meanings “hit” and “guess”.

• For ずれる、there are a lot of specific meanings. Your card has two of them. To be honest, all of them involve being out of position, so I added the meaning “to be out of position” and “to be out of sync”, the former being the most different meaning. I removed both meanings you had there.

• For 経る、I removed all meanings and added “to go through (someone, a place, an experience)” and “to pass by (two years)”.

• For 済む, I changed the meanings to “to be settled”, “to be completed”.

• For 済ませる、I changed the meaning from “get done with (something)” to “to get done with something”.

• For 済ます, I changed the meaning “finish (something)” to “to finish something”.

• For 経費、I changed the meaning from “expense” to “expenses”.

From 3072 to 3165 (Index) - Added on 2018/11/04
  • For 休業、I changed the meaning from “suspension of a business operation” to “(temporary) business suspension”.

• For 株, I’d add in the notes “This is the general term of “stocks”.

• For工業、I changed the meaning from “Industry (production)” to “(manufacturing) industry”. I also added in the notes: “工業 refers specifically to the manufacturing industry.”

• For 産業, I added in the notes “While 工業 refers specifically to the manufacturing industry, 産業 is the general term of industry as it also includes things like customer service.”

• For 産業、I also added to the subtitles “(general term)” as a tip to distinguish from other words while doing EN => JP.

• For 作業、I’d add this in the notes: “This is different than 仕事. 仕事 refers to the place of work itself, while 作業 refers to the tasks. For example, you can leave your 仕事 without finishing your 作業.”

• Because of what I wrote above, I’d add “tasks at work” to the meanings in order to differentiate.

• For 営業、I’d change the main meaning to “business operations” and I’d add to the notes: “It refers to the whole process of developing a service/product and sell it to potential customers.”

• Again for 営業、I’d remove the meaning “sales” because it might cause confusion with 販売.

• For 漁業、I changed the meaning to “fishing industry”.

• For 金利、I changed the 2nd meaning “interest rate” to be the main meaning.

• For 利子、I’d change the meaning to “interest (of a loan, deposit, etc)”.

• For 有利、I changed the meaning from “advantage” to “advantageous” because I believe it’s used more often as an adjective. It also makes more sense this way, being the 2nd meaning “profitable” (also an adj).

• For 不利、I changed the meaning from “disadvantage” to “disadvantageous”, since it’s also more common to use it as an adjective. Also, this helps distinguishing from 不利益 which will come 3000 cards later hahaha

• For 利く、I removed all meanings and added the meaning “to work well”.

• For 買収、I changed the meaning “bribing” to “bribery” and changed the meaning “acquisition” to “acquisition (esp. corporate)”.

• For 収穫、I added the meaning “fruits (of one’s labor)”.

• For 技術、I’d change the meaning “skill” to “technique”.

• Ok, the deck teaches both 芸術 and 美術 as art, which is not wrong… but they’re different and the learner will not know why. I’d add to the notes of 芸術 this: “芸術 is the general term for arts, as it can include visual arts such as photography, music and literature.”

• For 美術, I’d add this: “美術only refers to the art that can be visually appreciated, such as movies, paintings and sculptures. 美術 is part of 芸術.”

• For 芸術, I’d add in the subtitles (general term) and for 美術, I’d add “(visual art)” as the subtitle. This helps EN => JP (since both mean “art”).

• For 製作、I removed the meaning “manufacture” and added this to the notes: “PoS - verbal noun | 製作 usually refers to the production of something from scratch and in small scale (think handmade items and movies).

• I also added this on the subtitles: “(general term – includes movies/books)”.

• For 作製, I removed the meaning “manufacture” and added this to the notes “作製 is general concept for production of things, but it does not include the production a book/movie like 製作. It’s more limited.”

• Also for 作製、I added this on the subtitle: “(general term - does not include movies/books)”

• For 製品、I added the meaning “manufactured goods”

• For 木造, I’d simplify the meaning “being made of wood” to “made of wood”.

• For 製造、I’d remove the meaning “production” and add this on the notes: “PoS - verbal noun | 製造 usually refers to mass production of a product in factories, etc, so more focused on the concept of replication.”

• For 天然、I’d add this to the subtitle section: “(Antonym of 人工)”

• I’d also add this in the notes: “PoS - noun | Exclusively for things originated from nature. For example, 天然資源 (てんねんしげん) – natural resources.”

• 必然is also a na adjective. I’d change the main meaning to “inevitability” as well.

• For 必ずしも、I added as a subtitle “(used with neg. verb)”.

• Since you teach 不要 and 不必要 together, for the latter I’d add in the subtitle section “(longer version)”. This helps distinguishing them going EN => JP.

• For 要するに, I added the meaning “to sum up”.

• For 要因, I changed the meanings to “primary factor” and “main cause”

• Because you teach ひたい and がく (both 額) in a row, I’d add “(body part)” to the subtitle of ひたい.

• For 会計, I added the meaning “bill”.

• For 計, I’d change the notes to “PoS – prefix |計 is used before numbers to describe the idea “the total of x”. For example, 計3回 means “total of 3 times”.

• Also for計, I’d change the meaning to “total of” and add “prefix” in the subtitle section OR make it be 計~.

• For 計る、I’d remove the meaning “compute” and change “measure (number or time)” to “to measure (weight, distance, time).”

• The meanings of 足し算 are not well spaced. I’d change the meaning to “addiction (math term)”.

• For 引き算、I changed the meaning to “subtraction (math term)”.

• For差し出す, I added the meaning “to reach out”.

• For物差し, I’d add to the subtitle “(Measurement instrument)” just in case someone thinks “ruler” stands for “ruler of a land”.

• For 割引、I added this to the notes: “PoS - verbal noun | It has the nuance of it actually representing the ratio of the discount in tenths. For example: 3割引 = 30%割引 = 30% off”. This also helps to distinguish between the previous learned 値引き.

• For the subtitle of 割引, I added “(In tenths)”.

• And the justification above is why the example sentence for 割り引くis wrong. You can’t use 割り引く with 200円 . Even natives get this wrong:

https://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1160083141

So I’d change the example sentence to 2割り引きます and the translation to 20% instead of 2000 yen.

• For 割り算, I’d change the meaning to “division (math term)”.

• For ひょっとしたら、I added the meaning “by some possibility”.

From 3166 to 3261 (Index) - Added on 2018/11/15
  • For ぐるぐる、I added the meaning “in circles”.
  • For 残暑、I’d add in the subtitle “(Approx. around the 8th of August)” so people know when it happens.
  • For 残り、I’d add “remaining” as a meaning. I feel like “rest” can trick people into thinking that it’s about “taking a break”. Adding another synonym reinforces the idea of what this word means, I guess.
  • For 残業、I changed the meaning “overtime work” to “overtime (work)”. It’s a mess having to write it all.
  • Added “sultry” to the meanings of 蒸し暑い
  • For どく、I added the meaning “to step aside”.
  • For 支出、I changed the meaning “expenses” to “expenditure”.
  • For 支度、I’d change “getting ready” to be the main meaning. “Preparation” will make people confusing this word with 準備。To also avoid that, I’d add this in the notes: “PoS - verbal noun | 支度 refers to getting ready to start the day/start one’s daily activities.”
  • For 支店、I changed the meaning from “branch (office)” to “branch store”.
  • For 支配、I added “domination” as a meaning.
  • For 支持、I added “endorsement” as a meaning.
  • For 収支、I added “income and expenditure” as the main meaning.
  • 支払い is not a verbal noun. The verb is 支払う。
  • There’s a meaning that 払いhas and 支払い doesn’t. 払い can also mean “clearing away (the trash)”, so I would add that precisely because it allows the learner to distinguish both words. I also added in the notes of 払い this: “PoS - noun | In comparison to 支払い、払い has the extra meaning of "clearing away (the trash)".”
  • For 言い返す、I added “to answer back” as a meaning.
  • For 取り返す、I added the meaning “to make up for”.
  • For 返却、I changed the meaning “return” to “return of something”.
  • For 要請、I added the meaning “asking for aid” to reinforce the idea that it’s about support.
  • For 飲み込む、I removed “to gulp down” and added the meanings “to swallow (a pill, one’s words)” and “to grasp (something)”
  • For 見込み、I added this as the notes: “PoS - noun | Not to be confused with 見通し、見込み refers to the prospect/expectation of a future result.”
  • For 見通し, I added this as the notes:
  • For 思い込む、I removed both meanings and added “to be under the impression that” and “to be convinced that”.
  • For 持ち込む、I changed the meaning “carry” to “to carry to”.
  • For 打ち込む、I added the meaning “to hammer (a nail)”.
  • For 割り込む、I changed the meaning to “to cut in line” and added the meaning “to force one’s way in (e.g. a meeting, conversation)”.
  • For 引っ込む、I removed all meanings and added the meanings “to withdraw (from public eye)”, “to retire (somewhere)”, “to stay indoors” and “to cave in (eyes, stomach)”.
  • For 払い込む、I added “to deposit” as a meaning and added this to the notes: “PoS - Transitive verb | 払い込む involves doing a payment (in full). It does not include “to deposit” as in one’s account.”
  • For 申し込む、I changed the meaning “signing up” as the main one, removed the meaning “application” (because trust me, it will create confusion with 応募 and 公募 when it shouldn’t) and added this to the notes: “申し込み refers to the action of signing up to something, as in you can do a 申し込み to a 応募. It’s less formal and more personal than 応募.”
  • For 込める、I changed the meaning to “to put (emotions, effort) into”.
  • For 初期、I added the meaning “initial stage”.
  • For 前期、I changed the meaning “last semester” to “first semester”.
  • For 後期、I changed the meaning “second half” to “second semester”.
  • For 長期, I added “long-term” to the meanings.
  • For consistency, I added “short time” as the main meaning of 短期.
  • For 新学期、I removed both meanings and added the meaning “new school term”.
  • For 限度、I added “(Imposed man-made restrictions)” to the subtitle section. I also added this to the notes “PoS - noun | 限度 is usually associated with imposed man-made restrictions, such as 潜水限度 (maximum diving limit).”
  • For 限界、I added “(Limit due to inability)” to the subtitle section. I also added this to the notes “PoS - noun | 限界 focuses on the intrinsic limitations. For example, the speed limit of a car or one’s limits.”
    I also removed the meaning “boundary” because I think it’s unnecessary.
  • For 有限、I changed “finite” to be the main meaning.
  • For 制限、I removed the meaning “limit” to avoid chaos of everything having the same synonym. This word is more related to “restrictions”. I added this to the notes: “
  • For 無制限、I added the meaning “unrestricted”.
  • For 緊急、I changed the meaning “urgent” to “urgency” for the sake of consistency with the other meaning “emergency” (both being nouns). It can also be a na adjective.
  • For 一切, I also changed the meaning to “(with) no intention at all” because we already have a bunch of (not) at all words. For the subtitle section, I added “(Used in the negative tense)”.
  • For 品切れ、I added the meaning “out of stock”.
  • For 思い切って、I’d change the meaning “daringly” to “resolutely”.
  • For 区切る、I removed the meaning “partition” and added “to delimit” as the main meaning.
  • For 前売り券、I added the meaning “ticket sold in advance”.
  • For わさび、I added “wasabi” as the main meaning… haha
  • For 代わる代わる、I removed the meaning “in turn”. “By turns” is enough.
  • For 目指す、I added this to the notes “PoS - Transitive verb | Whether if it’s aiming to finish a marathon or to learn Japanese, 目指す can be used. This word does not mean aiming as aiming a gun.”.
  • For 指差す、I added this to the notes: “PoS - Transitive verb | 指差す is exclusively used when pointing things with your finger.”. I also added to the subtitle section “(With one’s finger)” in order not to get it mixed with 指す when going EN => JP.
  • For 指す、I added the meaning “to designate someone (for a job, to answer a question, etc)”.
  • Also for 指す、I added this to the notes: “PoS - Transitive verb | 指す can be synonym with 目指す when the meaning is "aiming for a goal", the latter being more straightforward.”
From 3262 to 3376 (Index) - Added on 2018/11/15
  • For 指揮、I’d remove the meaning “initiative”, as I think it’s not a good meaning for this word. I’d add instead “lead” as a 2nd meaning. I’d also make the change in the example sentence from “initiative” to “lead”.
  • For 一定, I added “established” as the main meaning.
  • For 定休日、I added “regular closing day” as a meaning.
  • For 不安定、I added the meaning “instability” as the main meaning. 安定 is taught as “stability”, so I think we should keep the consistency of using the noun version.
  • For 定食、I added the meaning “special (of the day)​”.
  • For 定員、I changed the meaning “capacity” to “capacity (of a boat, airplane, hall, etc)”.
  • For 定価、I added the meaning “established price”.
  • For 未定, I think “state of being undecided” is completely not necessary xD So I removed that meaning and added “undecided” and “pending” instead. Also, 未定 is a na adjective, not just a noun.
  • I added “fixed period” as a meaning of 定期
  • For 指定、I substituted the meaning “appointment” with “assignment”.
  • For 肯定、I added the meaning “agreement”.
  • For じめじめ、I added the meaning “humid” and “gloomy”.
  • For 予報、I removed the meaning “prediction” and changed the meaning “forecast” to “(weather) forecast”.
  • For 予習、I removed all meanings to keep it simple: added “preparing for a lesson” as the only meaning.
  • For 花束、I added the meaning “bouquet”.
  • For 消化、I changed the meaning “digestion” to “digestion (of food, information)”.
  • For 化学、I added the reading “ばけがく” and added this to the notes: “PoS - noun | ばけがく is the spoken reading, in order to avoid confusion with 科学.”
  • For 今更、I added “too late” as a meaning.
  • For 夜更かし、I changed the meaning “staying up late at night” to “staying up late (at night)”.
  • For 増大、I changed “enlargement” to be the main meaning.
  • For 急増、I added the meaning “surge”.
  • For 増す、I added this to the notes “PoS - Transitive and Intransitive verb”, since it works for both.
  • For 増減、I added “fluctuation” as a meaning. I removed the meaning “rise and fall” because it’s not necessary.
  • For 乗り出す、I removed the meaning “embark on” and added “to set out (on a new adventure or challenge) and “to set sail”.
  • For 乗車券、I’d add “passenger ticket” as the main meaning and leave the others as alternatives.
  • For 乗車、I changed the meaning “getting on board” to “getting into (a taxi)” and the meaning “boarding” to “boarding (a train, bus)”.
  • For 乗り込む、I changed the meaning “go aboard” to “to board (a ship, train)”. I also added the meanings “to get into (a car)”, “to march (somewhere)” and removed the meaning “get on (a train etc.)”
  • For 着ける (meaning to park a car), I removed the meanings and added “to pull up (a car)” and “to park”. I also added in the subtitles “(vehicle related)” so that people know which 着ける meaning this card is looking for.
  • For ぎゅうぎゅう, I added the meaning “to go hard (on someone)”
  • For 夕立、I changed the meaning “evening shower” to “evening shower (rain)”, so that it’s clear.
  • For 立ち止まる、I changed the meaning “to stop” to “to stop (and stand still)”.
  • For 県立、I changed the meaning to “prefectural (institution)​”
  • For 役立つ、I changed the meaning “to be of use” to “to be useful”.
  • For 立て込む、I changed the meanings to “to be full (of work)” and “to be crowded (with)”.
  • For 創立、I changed the meaning “foundation” to “founding”.
  • For 客席、I changed the meanings to “guest seat (stadium, theater)” and “passenger seat (taxi)”.
  • For ねぎ、I added “spring onion” as a meaning.
  • For 欠点、I added “defect” as a meaning.
  • For 欠ける、I removed the meaning “be missing” and added “to lack”.
  • For 欠く、I changed the meanings to “to lack (something)” and “to crack”.
  • I changed PoS of 次回 to “Adverbial noun”.
  • For 次ぐ、I changed the meanings “rank next” and “come next” to “to rank next to” and “to come next to”. I think the actual meaning is much clearer this way.
  • For 不運、I changed the main meaning to be “bad luck” instead.
  • For 運送、I removed the meaning “shipping” in order to avoid confusion with 出荷. “Transportation” is good enough for now.
  • Changed the main meaning of 運 to be “luck”.
  • For 移転, I changed the meaning “transfer” to “transfer (deeds, property)”.
  • For 行動、I removed the meaning “action”. It’s making things confusing.
  • For 動力、I changed the meaning “power” to “(motive) power”. I also removed the meaning “engine” because it’s making things confusing.
  • For 動向、I added this to the notes: “PoS - noun | Usually related to man activities, like 市場の動向 (market trend).”
  • For 運動場、I added the meaning “sports ground” and removed the meaning “playground” because it’s not necessary for the nuances of the word… but u can let it be.
  • For動作, I removed the meaning “action”, I changed the meaning “movement” to “(primitive) movement”, added the meaning “operation (of a machine, software)” and added this to the notes: “PoS - noun | Refers to more primitive, mechanical movements. Examples are clapping hands, walking and breathing.”
  • 早める has the meaning separated into two meanings. It’s supposed to be “to move forward (time, schedule etc.)”.
  • For 早まる、I added the meaning “to be moved forward (time, schedule etc.)”.
  • For 上達、I added the meaning “improvement” and changed the meaning “progress” to “progress (of a skill, ability)”.
  • For 速達、I changed “express mail” to be the main meaning.
  • 速達便 and 速達are slightly different. I’d change the meanings of 速達便 to “express delivery post​” and “special delivery mail”.
From 3376 to 3472 (Index) - Added on 2018/12/03
  • For 高速道路, I added “highway” as the main meaning.
  • For 急速、I changed the meaning “rapid” to “rapid (progress)”.
  • For 乗り遅れる, I fixed the first meaning (spacing error) by changing to “to miss (a train, bus, etc.)” and added the meaning “to fail to keep up with (the times)”.
  • For 始め、I added this to the notes: “PoS - noun | Refers to the beginning in terms of a process, work, etc that someone starts. An example would be a trip.” I also added to the subtitle section “(of something that someone starts)”.
  • For 始まり、I added this to the subtitle section “(of something that starts on its own)” and this to the notes: “PoS - noun | Specifically refers to something that starts on its own, like the start of a movie.”
  • For 最終、I removed the meaning “final” because it confuses people with 最後. As a main meaning, I added “the latest”. This will be useful to understand the nuance vs 最後. In the note section, I added “PoS - noun | 最終 usually adds the nuance of something being the latest of a sequence. For example, 最終試合 is the final game of the championship.”
  • For 現場、I added this to the notes: “PoS - noun | 現場’s nuance focuses on scenes with emphasis on the actions that occur there. For example, 犯行現場 (scene of the crime).”
  • For 現地, I changed the meaning “actual site” to “actual place” and “in the field” to “local”. I also added this to the note: “PoS - noun | In comparison to 現場、現地 purely focuses on the place/local itself. For example, 現地の人々 (local people).”
  • For 現住所、I added the meaning “current address”.
  • For 現代、I added the meaning “nowadays”.
  • I removed the meaning “discretely” of ばらばら and added “dispersedly” and “loosely”.
  • For ぶるぶる、I changed to the meanings “trembling (with fear, anger)” and “shivering (with cold)”.
  • For 不在、I changed the meaning to “absence”.
  • For 在学、I removed the meaning and added “attending (school, college, etc), “being enrolled” and “being a student”.​
  • For 実行、I removed the meaning “practice” and added the meanings “execution (of a plan)” and “implementation”.
  • For 実力、I removed the meaning “capability” and added “true strength”.
  • For 実は、I changed the meaning “actually” to “to tell you the truth” and “as a matter of fact”
  • For 実る、I added the meaning “to ripen (actual fruit, grains)”.
  • For 実 (み), I added in the subtitle section “(Broader word for fruit)” and added this to the notes: “PoS - noun | 実 is a broader word for fruit, as it includes berries, nuts and seeds.”
  • Added “unfair” to ずるい
  • For 通過、I changed the meanings to “passing through (a tunnel, station, town)” and “passage (of a bill)”.
  • For 経過、I changed the meaning “lapse” to “lapse (of time)”.
  • For 過ごす、I changed the meaning “to spend (time)” to “to spend time” and added the meaning “to drink too much”.
  • For 過ち 、I added the meaning “PoS - noun | Differently from 誤り and 間違い, 過ち refers to more serious mistakes that transcend what’s acceptable.”
  • For 超過、I added the meaning “being over”.
  • For 発行、I changed the meanings to “publication (of a magazine, newspaper)” and “issue (of banknotes, bonds, passport, tickets)”.
  • For 発達、I changed the meaning “development” to “development (qualitative)” and added this to the notes: “PoS - verbal noun | 発達 focuses on the improvement of quality, where something reaches its maturity, sophistication.”
  • For 発生, I added the meaning “outbreak” and added this to the notes: “PoS - verbal noun | A more formal version of 起こる”
  • For 始発、I changed the meaning to “first departure (of the day: train, bus)”.
  • For 発つ, I changed the meanings to “to departure (on a plane, train)”.
  • For ざらざら、I changed the meaning to “rough (touch, voice)”
  • For 白紙, I added “white paper” as the main meaning.
  • For 用紙、I changed the meaning “form” to “(blank) form”.
  • For 紙くず、I added the meanings “paper scraps” and “paper waste”.
  • For ぬるぬる、I added “slippery” as a meaning.
  • For 足音、I fixed the meanings. “(sound)”​ was being considered as a 2nd meaning, instead of being together with “footstep” => “footstep (sound)”.
  • For 音読み, I added the meanings “on reading” and “onyomi”.
  • For 物音, I removed the meaning “noise” and added this to the notes: “PoS - noun | 物音 usually refers to sounds that you don’t know their origin. For example, you’re at home and you’re hearing something in the next room. No one is at home, so you don’t know the source of this sound.”
  • For 雑音、I added this to the notes: “PoS - noun | 雑音 usually refers to small noises that are unpleasant/annoying to you.”
  • For きょろきょろ、I changed the meaning to this “looking around (restlessly or with curiosity)”
  • For 行楽、I added “pleasure trip” as the main meaning.
  • For ぐずぐず, I added the meaning “dilly-dallying”.
  • For 目薬, I added the meaning “eyewash”.
  • For 薬品, I removed the meaning “drugs” and added the meaning “chemicals”.
  • For 薬指, I added the meaning to “fourth finger​”.
  • For 食欲, I changed the meaning to “appetite (for food)​”.
  • For 欲求, I changed the meaning “want” to “wants” and added this to the notes: “PoS - verbal noun | A more objective/scientific word which is seen in psychological related articles.”
  • For 欲, I added “wants” as the main meaning and added this to the notes: “PoS - noun | 欲 is a very conversational word and it’s used in a general way to describe any wants one might have.”
  • For ぽかぽか, I added the meanings “nice and warm” and “hitting someone (repeatedly)”.
  • For 映る, I removed the meaning “appear” and added the meaning “to be displayed”.
  • For 画家, I changed “painter” to be the main meaning.
From 3473 to 3604 (Index) - Added on 2018/12/03
  • For 一面、I added “one side” and “on the other hand” as meanings. In the notes, I added: “PoS - Adverbial noun | As a noun, 一面 means "whole surface" and "one side". As an adverb, it means "on the other hand".”
  • For 水面、I added the meaning “water’s surface”.
  • For 方面, I added in the subtitle category “(towards a city/district)” and added this on the notes “(towards a city/district/defined place)” and added this to the notes: “PoS - noun | 方面 is used when one is talking about the direction of a defined place, like a city or prefecture.”
  • For 半面, I added “half the face” as the main meaning.
  • For 地面, I changed “ground” to the main meaning and changed the meaning “surface” to “earth’s surface​”.
  • For どきっと, I added that it’s a suru verb.
  • For 真っ先, I added “the foremost” as the main meaning.
  • For 真夜中, I added the meaning “dead of night”.
  • For 真っ最中, I changed the 2nd meaning to “middle of”.
  • For 真夏, I changed it to an Adverbial noun.
  • For くたくた, I added the meaning “worned out​”
  • For 水色, I added the meaning “aqua color”.
  • For 地形、I added the meaning “topography”.
  • For にやにや, I added that it’s a suru verb. I also changed the meanings to “grinning” and “smirking”
  • For 小型, I added the meaning “small-scale”.
  • For 型, I changed the meaning “type” to “type (e.g. of machine, goods)​”
  • I’d merge both cards that teach the word 一種. I don’t see how having both meanings in the same card is a problem. Actually, I’d just remove the card where it means “sort of”. I think the 2nd card includes that meaning.
  • For 人種, I changed the meaning to “race (of people)​”
  • For 種目, I changed “event” to be the main meaning.
  • For 各種, I changed the meanings to “every kind” and “all sorts”.
  • For 分類, I added the meanings “categorization” and “sorting”.
  • For 人類, I changed the meanings to “mankind” and “humanity”.
  • For 直前, it’s an Adverbial noun, not just a noun.
  • For 見直す, I changed all meanings to “to look at again​”, “to reevaluate” and “to see in a more positive light​”.
  • For 直通, I added “direct communication, connecting directly” as alternative meanings.
  • For 立ち直る, I changed the first meaning to “to get back on one’s feet (metaphorically)”
  • For やり直す, I added “to redo, to start over” as alternative meanings.
  • For うきうき, I added “cheerfully, in high spirits” as alternative meanings.
  • For げらげら, I changed the meaning to “laughing out loud”.
  • For 接近, I changed the meanings to “getting closer (age, distance, skill)” and “approaching, becoming more intimate”.
  • For 接する、I added as the meanings “to come in contact” and “to adjoin, to receive (news, visitor)”
  • For 白線, I added as an alternative meaning “linea alba (anatomy)” and added to the notes “PoS - noun | This refers to white lines you see on highways.”
  • For 無線, I changed the meaning “radio” to “radio (communication)​”
  • For 脱線, I added the meaning “digression”.
  • For でこぼこ, I added “inequality” to the meanings.
  • For 同一, I added in the notes: “PoS - adjectival noun | 同一 is more bookish, formal than 同じ.” And changed “identical” to the main meaning and “same” as the alternative.
  • For 一同, I changed the meanings to “all present” and “all concerned”. This is more formal word, compared to 皆 and it’s usually used in ceremonies and all that stuff.
  • For 同時, “same time” would be a more accurate translation. “for the” comes with the particle game.
  • For 合同, I added the meaning “combination”.
  • For 同様, I substituted the alternative meaning with “the same kind”
  • For 同性, I changed the meaning to “same sex”.
  • For 共同, I added the meaning “collaboration”.
  • For べたべた, I changed the main meaning to “sticky” and added “clinging (of a person), being all over (each other)” as meanings.
  • For 見違える, I added “to hardly recognize” as the main meaning and left “to look radically different” as the only alternative one.
  • For 違いない, I added as the main meaning “no mistaking it” and removed the previous one.
  • For 以来, I added “henceforth” as a meaning.
  • For 以前, I added “previous” as a meaning.
  • For 以後, I added this to the notes: “PoS - noun | Usually associated with (and preceding) single occurrences.”
  • For 以降, I added this to the notes: “PoS - noun | Usually associated with (and preceding) continuous occurrences (think time).”
  • For くすぐる, I changed the meaning to “to tickle (someone, one’s curiosity)”.
  • For 旅客, I changed “passenger” to be the main meaning instead.
  • For 和らげる, I added the meaning “to soften”.
  • For 和やか, it’s just a na adjective. It’s not a noun. I also added the meaning “harmonious”.
  • For 和らぐ, I added the meaning “to calm down”.
  • For 昭和, I changed the meaning to “Showa era” to simplify.
  • For これまで, I added the meaning “so far”.
  • For 東洋, I added “Orient” as the main meaning, because it’s closer to the actual use of the Japanese word.
  • Same with西洋, I added “Occident” as the main meaning.
  • For 洋画, I changed the meaning to “Western film” and “Western movie”.
  • For 図書室、I added this to the notes: “PoS - noun | 図書室 refers to the room "library" itself, while 図書館 refers to the building.” And changed the meaning to “library (room)”.
From 3605 to 3693 (Index) - Added on 2018/12/03
  • For 父兄, I added the meaning “guardians”.
  • For がくんと, I added the meaning “suddenly”.
  • For 親友, I changed the meaning to “close friend”.
  • For 親しむ, I added to the notes “PoS - Intransitive verb | It can be used with people and things”
  • For 次第, I added the meanings “depending on​, in accordance with​”.
  • For 次第に, I changed the meaning to “gradually (progress into a state)​”
  • For じゃんじゃん, I added “continuously” as a meaning.
  • For 利息, I changed the meaning to “interest (on a loan, deposit, etc.)​”.
  • For まずい, I added the meanings “unappetising, unsavoury”.
  • For 歩行者天国, I added the meaning “pedestrian mall”.
  • For 文学者, I added “scholar of literature” as a meaning.
  • For 作者, I added the meaning “author”.
  • For よける、it’s usually writen in kanji, not in hiragana. Changed “avoid” to “to avoid (physical contact with)”.
  • For 結合, I removed the meaning “joining” and added “binding” and “coupling”.
  • For 結局, I removed the meaning “finally” and added “in the end, ultimately”.
  • For 業者, I added “trader” as the main meaning and “contractor (person)” as the alternative meaning.
  • For 結び, I changed the meanings to “ending” and “conclusion”.
  • For 結ぶ, I added as alternative meanings “to bind, to link​, to conclude”
  • For 結晶, I added the meanings “crystallization, fruits (of labor, union, etc)”.
  • For 果たして, I added as the main meaning “just as one thought” and as alternative meanings I added “sure enough​, really”.
  • For 効力, I substituted validity for potency as a meaning.
  • For 自ら、I added this to the notes: “PoS - adverb | 自ら has the implied nuance of “not relying on others” or “by one’s will”.”
  • For かかる/罹る, I changed the meanings to “to contract (a disease)” and “to catch (a cold, etc)”
  • For 経由, I changed the meanings to “going through” and “going via, going by way of​”.
  • For 信用, I added the meanings “confidence, credit (of a person, finance)​”.
  • For 自信, I changed the meanings to “self-confidence” and “confidence (in oneself)​”.
  • For 依頼, I added “reliance” as a meaning.
  • For 頼る, I added the meaning “to count on”.
  • For 民間, I added the meaning “non-governmental”.
  • For 主体, I removed the meaning “agent” and added “main constituent” as the main meaning and “core, nucleus​” as alternatives.

Extra things I’m doing (and that I think are important):

• I’m adding “to” to every verb. It reinforces the idea that it’s a verb in the learner’s head. “Change” and “to change” look quite different, don’t they?
  • I’m adding transitivity of verbs to every verb that has it (tran/intran verb).
  • I’m adding to the “subtitles” field “(onomatopoeia)” to every onomatopoeia word.
  • I feel like it’s important to have exposure to all meanings on EN => JP because JP => kanji/meaning forces you into getting used to 1 sole meaning (bad thing). Also, it helps to figure out the JP word it wants by having several meanings. So I’m adding them all as “main meanings” on that layout. This causes chaos though… So for the EN => JP layout, the letter size will need to be reduced.
6 Likes