The Minor Annoyances Thread

This has been the main reason for my leeches :sob: I canā€™t ever memorize the word if Iā€™m not vizualizing the kanji that it uses D: So yeah, Iā€™d love this to be a thing.

omg yes for suggestions too I need it

Actually now that Iā€™m spending some more time with it, Iā€™m having mad problems with the layouts. I thought I had set up a deck to create cards with the English-Japanese layout, but all the cards I add from the dictionary are coming up as Japanese-English. So, okay, my mistake maybe - but I tried to go into the deck settings and change this, I canā€™t find any option for it at all? At the moment, the only way to get the cards to show up as English-Japanese is to add them first as Japanese-English, and then find and change each one manually in the card menu? There has to be a better way!

Decks arent bound to single templates or layouts, you can have any kind of cards in there so to speak.

For dictionary cards you might be interested in setting up a custom card instead, I assume that right now you are using the ā€œGenerate Flashcardā€ button. What you would want to do is use the ā€œCustom Flashcardā€ button and set up the specific layouts youā€™d like the use.

The process is pretty straightforward (select deck, template, layouts and select which value goes where) and will be remembered for next time youā€™d want to generate a card (through browser cookies). Let me know if you need help setting it up!

Thanks for explaining it to me - so was I mistaken in thinking that a deck can have a default layout? I thought that I had set one up when I created the deck, but maybe not.

Does ā€˜Generate Flashcardā€™ always make a Japanese-English flashcard using the default kitsune vocab template? Would it be possible to have an option to generate the other layouts in this template as well? The custom flashcard is obviously a powerful tool, but it seems like itā€™s more user intensive than it really needs to be when you just want to create a simple vocab card in the default style.

1 Like

Yep, no layouts are bound to specific decks.

As for having the option to generate cards with other layouts in this template:

Thatā€™s exactly what the custom flashcard button is for. Once you set it up once, it will be remembered for next time, exactly like what you are asking for if Iā€™m not mistaken. In both cases youā€™d have to set it up once.

Try it out with a few cards, set it up once and then generate additional cards sometime afterwards, youā€™'ll see that it saved your settings and you can just click through it.

1 Like

Okay, Iā€™ll use that then, thanks. But, just speaking personally, I think it would be more intuitive if the default layouts were all accessible through the ā€˜generate flashcardā€™ button via drop down menu, much as it gives you an option to switch between which deck youā€™re adding to. Iā€™m trying to build up different decks for different functions (E-J vocab, J-E vocab, spoken grammar, written grammar, listening practice etc etc) and add to them little and often - with the current system, even if the custom form remembers my inputs between sessions, thatā€™s a lot of chopping and changing.

ā€˜Custom flashcardā€™ makes more sense to me as ā€œI want to add a card to this deck that is different to the type of card I would usually addā€. Like, I would consider using it to add a cloze style flashcard to a vocab deck for a leech Iā€™m having particular difficulty with.

Alright so I didnā€™t quite know what hibernating did at first so I tried deleting cards, but it was a community deck so this didnā€™t really work, but it screws up how kitsun counts cards and now Iā€™ve got all my cards either hibernated or actively in reviews but kitsun says Iā€™m still at 65%.

1 Like

Ok this might be off topic but I donā€™t see a a private messaging function and it seems I accidentally put in @gmial instead of @gmail for my email so could I have that fixed please?

1 Like

Sorry for the late response. Iā€™ll fix your email soon :slight_smile:

As for the count being off, it seems like something went wrong while hibernating the cards. The system writes the hibernation status at two different spots in the database. It seems that around 100 (out of 500) cards are out of sync. Iā€™ll try to look into it soon! Sorry for the inconvenience!

I deleted some words from a deck I imported, but I am getting those words in the ā€œlesson.ā€

1 Like

Hiya!

I took a quick look at your account and I believe you only have community decks so far? If itā€™s one of the community decks, you canā€™t actually delete words and only hibernate or filter them (making them not appear in the lessons/reviews).

That said, I assume you hibernated cards in one of those community decks but are still seeing them in your session. I think the reason for this is that most of the decks you are using have multiple cards for the same words (one card for the vocab, one card for sentence). If you do a search for one of the words you hibernated, you should be able to find the sentence card as well.

Iā€™d personally recommend hibernating cards when they pop up during lessons (through the actions dropdown). I think thatā€™s a bit easier than doing a search manually for every card of a specific word.

Another small tip: In case you donā€™t want specific layouts (aka sibling cards during reviews/lessons), you can easily filter them by layout from the deck settings page. That way you donā€™t need to do any sentence cards etc :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the fast reply! Iā€™ll do that.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been encountering some problems with the community decks as well actually. I wanted to use the Kitsun10k for sentence comprehension practice, but I want to start in the middle (around 5k) because I already know most of the earlier words. So I hibernated everything in the cards page, then specifically unhibernated just the 5k words using the advanced search. Butā€¦it hasnā€™t had any effect? When I go to the lessons, Iā€™m still getting the hibernated cards, in order, starting from the top of the 1k deck. Is this a bug or am I being dumb here? (I did go back and double check that the cards that were appearing had the hibernated symbol next to them)

1 Like

The cards page by default only loads 100 cards at a go, meaning that your hibernate action would only work for those 100 cards selected.

Another thing to consider is that the 10k deck consists of two types of cards: Vocabulary and Sentence. The sentence cards were created later than the vocab cards, meaning they are at the bottom of the table of the 20k cards total. I think you might have hibernated only the vocab cards, or maybe even just a subset of it.

I totally get that this isnā€™t what youā€™d expect and that youā€™d want to be able to hibernate everything at one go without having to click ā€œload moreā€ 500 times. This is something Iā€™m actively working on making possible with the redesign :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oof, yeah, a redesign would be extremely welcome on that one! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, I did a search about binding hotleys, but couldnā€™t find an answer. The Knowledge Base also says ā€œMost of these hotkeys can be changed to your own preference. Tip: If you want to use hotkeys while focused on an input, you can bind the action (such as Play Audio) to one of the F-keys.ā€

However, I canā€™t find out how to do thisā€¦ in particular, Iā€™m hoping to bind something to the R key, so that I can play audio on the ā€œ10k - Kitsun Optimizedā€ deck without using my mouse. (Or would any such binding work for all decks, regardless?)

(I found another comment about this binding; is this something that should be standard in the app?)

Cheers.

1 Like

Go to settings on the sidebar:

And it will be here:

Is this what you were looking for?

2 Likes

Hey!

Hotkeys can be changed at the settings page:

Keep in mind that cards with an input in them will focus the input field automatically so pressing R would type in the input rather than play audio. For those cases you can bind audio to F2 or F4 (or other F-keys that donā€™t interfere with the browser functionality) so you can play audio while focusing on the input.

Another thing that you might want to check out is audio autoplay in the deck settings :slight_smile:

Edit: @jprspereira beat me to it haha

3 Likes

Ah, thank you gentlemen! I will now hang my head in shame at not having looked at that Settings page.

1 Like

New annoyance: when adding a synonym and pressing enter the input box loses focus and you have to click it again, or press tab (a lot).

I remember pressing enter too much there used to delete everything, now the input is more clunky. Something like CTRL+Enter to close the notes without mouse would also be nice.

1 Like