[Discussion & Feedback] So Much Vocab! (Kitsun 10k Edition)

Please change the background text’s colour so that they match that of wanikani’s! The recognition of colour for meaning/reading isn’t there since I’m used to wanikani.

Capture%201

1 Like

How long have you been use the 10k deck for?

2 Likes

like a few minutes lol

2 Likes

To be honest, I don’t think that would be a good idea at this point since a lot of people are using the deck and are probably used to it’s current format.

I would try giving it some time. The background colors for the terms are color coded as well. For example Vocabulary Reading will be in purple, while Kanji Meaning will be in orange.

3 Likes

Sorry I meant just the label where it’s black/white. (Farout I gotta be more exact, I was in my other post on this…) So for the reading it would be black and meaning would be white like in wanikani instead of reversed as it currently is. You can leave the background colours the same.

I understand. I was just pointing out there were additional color coding that could assist you. :grin:

1 Like

Whew, you may want to try a little longer before a complete 10k deck overhaul! The difference between WK and Kitsun are easy after some time. After building some decks, I have new found respect for the time put into this one, it’s like the Great Pyramid of decks.

4 Likes

But I was just hoping for the option to make it consistent with wanikani, you can’t really call that a complete overhaul can you? It’s just one thing. Black means reading and white means meaning. Surely that isn’t much to ask? I thought the whole point of kitsun was to have this customisability.

I want to note here that you have full control over your own content. But as this is a shared deck made by another user, they determine the content and how it is presented.

That does not mean that you can not give feedback of course, but I would recommend trying it out a bit more and see if you can get used to it.

3 Likes

I was struggling with it when I first started Wanikani as well. it’s a common thing for newbies on Wanikani to say. I’d go with others and say: give it a try.

It will be long gone before you notice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey - suddenly having an issue with this deck where it won’t let me input text in the reviews? I can only ‘Show’ the card and then pick ‘Know’ or ‘Don’t Know’. It was working fine yesterday, so I’m not sure what’s going on - anyone else encountered something like this?

Heya! Sounds like you got a deck setting activated that causes it to show flip buttons (and disables the input so it does not auto focus). Could you check if “Always show flip buttons” is turned on? If so, toggle it off and try again :smiley:

If not, it’s also possible @hinekidori did a layout update that went wrong, but that likelyhood is low I think…

1 Like

That was it, thanks!

Just a thought…

In the type of question where you get a sentence and it asks for the meaning, and you click “know” or “don’t know”, how strict are people?

In the following example, supposing I know what it means, but can’t read the sounds, which button should I click?

I know it asks for meaning, not reading, but sometimes I try to push myself to give the reading too, and mark it as incorrect if I can’t. But at other times that’s too much like hard work and I just click “know” if I know the meaning only.

What do other people do?

PS - luckily, in this sentence, I could read it as well as know the meaning, but not all are like this!

1 Like

What I shoot for is understanding the general gist of the sentence as opposed to a complete translation. Over time as I continue to see it I rely on osmosis to help understand the parts I don’t know. Such as vocabulary or grammar I haven’t studied yet.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

How do we deal with multiple different readings for the same kanji? Eg, 月日. When this shows up in reviews, I don’t know whether to type in がっぴ or つきひ. Am I missing something obvious?

3 Likes

They’re indeed written with the same kanji, but are 2 different words. You’re not missing anything, the deck is just currently missing a way (tip) for users to know which one is asking. I think a feature about giving tips for situations like this will be implemented in the future, but not sure. For now, I’d recommend just memorizing both readings and actually know that they are different words and mean different things.

Here’s a quick explanation on the difference between them:

Example sentences within the deck itself will also help distinguishing them.

Hope that was helpful.

4 Likes

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I looked and couldn’t find anything. I’m giving kitsun a try for a month or two to see how I like it, and so far really like the quality of this 10k deck. I just have a questions about the L tags.

Do the L1, L2, etc. tags specify the max Wanikani level for the kanji within the word? It does kind of seem that way to me. If that is the case it would be very handy. It would be cool if I could hibernate all the cards that are above my WK level and awaken them when I level up on WK so I don’t have to do any supplemental kanji study.

4 Likes

I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to the tags question, but I just wanted to confirm that you can indeed hibernate them all at once if you search for the tags on the card management screen :slight_smile:

3 Likes