[Discussion & Feedback] So Much Vocab! (Kitsun 10k Edition)

Just to let you know that the cards aren’t ordered by WK kanji order, which means that you’ll see words using kanji that you have yet to learn on Wanikani.

Another thing that might be good to know is that cards on Core 10k are tagged with “WK”. This indicates that they’re words also present on WK. If you wish, you can go to the deck, click on “Manage cards”, search by the tag “WK” (using the advanced search) and hibernate them all in one go (since you’ll be learning them on Wanikani) ^^

I personally still go through Wanikani words on Kitsun and see one by one if I wish to give them extra reinforcement or not. If the former, I do their lessons… if the latter, I hibernate them.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Wow, thank you so much for that!

Oh yes, I’ll definitely be doing that! As a very slow learner (two years to get to level 12 on WK), I definitely need all the reinforcement I can get!

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Quick question to anyone who might see this…

This says I am level 2…

How many levels are there??

Thank you!

2 Likes

There’s 50 levels total :slight_smile: But so far only one person ( @jprspereira ) has reached max level. Each level takes a bit longer to obtain.

3 Likes

That is brilliant! Thank you so much! :+1:
And no surprise at who leads the way!!! :smiley: :+1:

3 Likes

Is there any way to add a layout option for sentence recognition from English - Japanese?

Hello and thank you for the amazing content you produce! Is there an easy way to hibernate duplicate content from the Genki deck before starting this one? I’m halfway through the Genki and this is my next stop if I can figure out how to hide duplicates :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m just getting stuck into this deck, thank you! I also tried the verb conjugation deck, but figured there was enough overlap that I’ll stick with the 10K for now.

For both decks, is it feasible to add the transitiveness of the verbs?

1 Like

That has been something I’ve been helping Hine with :slight_smile: Still a lot of verbs to go, but it’s being added :ok_hand:

5 Likes

I found a small problem (for me anyway) with the vocalisation card(s) for 上がる, as there are two cards (index 155 and 157), and one is to rise, the other to increase. There is a common element with them being “to go up”, but it’d probably be good to give a hint which card the vocalisation is for though (or maybe that’s the challenge). I imagine this might be with a number of cards still? (I saw something similar with fire and day, but they had subtitles).

Hopefully I’ve proposed the changed properly :slight_smile:

I also had a small issue with transitive/intransitive verbs, I know from study the difference between 分ける and 分かれる, although I don’t know how well it comes through. This is probably just me though. In Anki I was creating a personal verb deck and I used to hint transitive as (to action) and intransitive I marked as (something actions). It helped sink in that intransitive doesn’t have an actor.

Also, I thought I’d drop some positive feedback, I bought lifetime because I plan to use/finish this deck, and it’s awesome it is being community maintained. I tried the Anki one but it was a little annoying :frowning: Also, this platform is more engaging. Thanks @jprspereira, @hinekidori, @Neicudi

3 Likes

Since it’s really a context thing I’m not sure of a good hint that wouldn’t altogether give away the answer. As a fix I’m going to make the answer missing from each card acceptable for each. That way you won’t get it wrong when answering and can look to the sentences to help with context.

Hope that helps.

You could add “(longer answer)” to “to increase” and “(shorter answer)” to “to rise” as hints. If people knew both “to rise” and to increase", they would be able to distinguish both ^^

@hinekidori, have you considered deleting 1 of the 2 items? The word itself basically only has 3 meanings (which are in all 4 cards) and both example sentences use the main meaning “to go up”. In that sense, it’s kinda pointless to be tested at both.

1 Like

Hmmm, there’s probably going to be a heap of stuff like this right, mostly audio related. I was just thinking of あげる to give and 上げる to raise… It hasn’t come up for me yet, and may not be an issue as those cards aren’t close together, I don’t remember if “to give” has a hint. At least that one is easier to sort out though.

I’m trying to smash through this deck as I found I had a massive vocab weakness when I took the N4 recently. Based on that, I’m probably going to put forward a lot of suggestions so as to avoid mix ups and confusion with same sounding words, and I might work through some of the transitivity pair notes as well.

Let me know if there are any issues in my approach, or if you would prefer I do things a different way.

3 Likes

Will do. Feedback just makes the deck better. :smile::+1:

2 Likes

Maybe it’s been adressed before, but… sometimes you need to use “to” + verb and sometimes you mustn’t use “to” and it counts as a mistake if you do. I think it should always be “to” + verb, the same as it is in WK.

For example 食べる should be “to eat” and not just “eat” (example is made up). As it is now, I need to add synonyms all the time.

2 Likes

Not sure if you’ve been doing it already, but if you send in feedback (propose changes) during reviews/lessons or from the card edit popup, @hinekidori can accept the changes right away :smile:

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for letting me know about 食べる. I have adjusted the card accordingly. Feel free to enter any other examples you find into feedback and I will fix those as well.

Most cards accept an answer without “to”, and I actually like it much better during reviews. But it is important during lessons to see what the verbs are (as a beginner).

I would prefer something like “(to) verb”, or including both versions as default synonyms.

I’m fine with that. Adding “to” in parentheses seems like the best compromise. I will keep it in mind as I come across it in feedback.

Thank you for the suggestion! :grin:

3 Likes