[Discussion & Feedback] So Much Vocab! (Kitsun 10k Edition)

I could be wrong but I think what you are asking for would need to be implemented with Kitsun itself.

If you go to Edit Deck > Advanced you can see if turning off the Sibling Filter makes a difference. That’s the most I think we can do at the moment.

Welcome to Kitsun!

During reviews you can click the ‘reorder’ icon next to the lightning icon (top right). From there you are able to enable the ‘keep siblings together’ setting which allows you to keep it 1x1. You might then want to sort by layout to get the order you want :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh right, first problem was just me looking for these options during lesson quizzes, rather than reviews (because I didn’t have anything up for review until just now). I probably should have known better because it’s the same way on WK, lessons are always random.

Now that I have some reviews, I toggled “Keep Siblings Together” on and that works great to keep both “layouts” of a card together. Awesome.

Doesn’t look like I can make a pair of siblings always stick to the same layout order, though. “Sort By → Layout” currently overrides “Keep Siblings together”. When I have both selected, I get all the “reading” questions for all the cards one after another, then the “meaning” questions for all the cards one after another. I’m not sure if that’s by design or not.

But at least I can keep siblings together, which is the biggest thing. I’ll just need be extra careful about which one I enter, especially because WK has drilled deeeep into my head the idea that “dark bar = reading, light = meaning” but it’s the reverse in this deck. Just something to get used to!

1 Like

Hi, just to let you know that it is pretty much the same for every question that requires katakana. Right now I’m on the word “katakana” and it won’t accept hiragana. But I can’t figure out how to change it to katakana on my keyboard. I’ve tried shift, I don’t have a caps lock (I’m on a chromebook) and I don’t know what else to try. The only way to do it is to change to Japanese language (shift+ctrl+ space bar) and then choose the katakana from the drop down menu. Which is a fair bit of trouble every time I have to enter a katakana reply.

Thank you for letting me know. I have adjusted the card so it will type in katakana. Sorry for the inconvenience. Unfortunately I am still working through this deck myself so it’s likely you will come across further instances of this.

When you do, feel free to use the “Propose Changes” feature at the bottom left of the card.

It will give you a pop up showing the fields available within the card. Look for the one that says “Katakana?” and mark it as you see below.

I will keep my eye out for more as well, so hopefully together we can clear them all up!

Thanks again! :grin:

3 Likes

Brilliant! Thank you so much… and will do! Nice one! :+1:

Oh that’s it then! :slight_smile: Is there some setting to make all cards that asks for reading to have the same gray background? I keep entering the meaning instead of reading because of the red backround colour on the new J-J layout :frowning:

Sorry if this is obvious, but I dont get what the “Not another” is about :thinking:

Would changing it to the background color I use for the Recall cards work?

1 Like

It’s just a hint. “Another” is a possible meaning for this word but isn’t what is being looked for on the card in question. I’m trying to alleviate some of confusion with homonyms.

Yeah that would be great! :slight_smile:

hello! i’m new here. wanted to clear something up before i got started on a deck. i did some searching but nothing turned up, so i apologize if this has been asked before!
i came over from wanikani, so i hibernated everything tagged “wk” in the 10k deck, which left me with a bit over 1000 lessons. this seems a little low to me, since as far as i know, wk teaches a little over 6000 vocab, leaving a few thousand words unaccounted for. did i do something wrong, or am i missing something?

edit: wait! is this because of how lessons stack every day, and i made this account a while ago to try it out… and now i somehow stacked up over 1000 lessons? uh oh. if this is the case, is there any way for me to tell if just hibernating all the wk words worked properly? starting to think maybe i should just keep the wk ones in there for memory’s and simplicity’s sake :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe there is a cap on the lessons yes. If I remember correctly close to half the deck should be available to you once you hibernate the WK terms. Somewhere in the 5k - 6k range. I don’t remember the exact numbers and WK has added some terms since so you may still see some overlap.

Please change the tags for WK levels 1-6 to 01-06 if possible, so one can select only them while searching.

@jprspereira once talked about Layout Filtering somewhere in WK forum. Sorry if I’m really slow. I don’t really follow. Does it mean that I can make any cards in Kitsun 10k deck that test audio to be skipped?

I’m not sure which one I should uncheck.

1 Like

Yes. Just check off the Comprehension layouts and they will no longer appear

2 Likes

I got it. Thanks. It’s working.

2 Likes

Oh dear…

I went away and forgot all about kitsun (I know, sorry) but just remembered it today and came back…

… and starting again from scratch! Hope I can stick with it this time!

3 Likes

Welcome back! :grin: Kitsun feels even better to use now, so I hope that will make your experience more enjoyable this time! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

I stuck with WK, but really it makes sense to do WK and kitsun together doesn’t it? I’m just going to stick to the 10K vocab deck, that’s plenty to keep me going! And yes, I love the new dashboard!

Thanks again so much for the re-welcome!

3 Likes