[Discussion & Feedback] So Much Vocab! (Kitsun 10k Edition)

Hey really appreciate this deck. One thing I was gonna ask about was potentially adding a tag to mark that something is a kana-only vocab word in addition to the current tags. That way it would be easy to do a search of cards using the metadata tag so that, for instance, one could hibernate all kanji cards and just do the kana-only subset of the deck. I thought maybe this might be useful for someone other than myself.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Maybe for people with a low knowledge of kanji (aka beginners) :point_up: I agree with the idea :v:

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m trying to do it as a way to recreate the Memrise Kana-only deck but without the horrible multiple choice answering system that Memrise uses. That way it’s easy to only just awaken the kana-only stuff and I can still take advantage of all the good improvements you both have made on this deck.

2 Likes

Short answer is it can be done, but it may be dangerous to the deck. I will need to discuss it with @Neicudi to see what our options are before I move forward with it.

This is honestly my fault. When I originally built the deck I forgot to transfer over the Kana tags. It was always my intention to include them. Give me some time and I will try to fix it.

Worst case scenario is I will end up creating a Kana only deck pulled from the 10k. I will try to figure it out by the end of this weekend.

:+1:

4 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for looking into this. Really appreciate all the efforts.

3 Likes

Alright the update is live. Kanji based vocab are tagged as “Vocab” and Kana based vocab are tagged as “Kana”

Let me know if anything looks out of place.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! Will look it over here in a bit.

1 Like

I do see a few things that seemed to be marked incorrectly. What’s the best way to report those to you? Want just the index numbers?

Edit: Okay, maybe not. Some of them are confusing because from the ‘all cards’ list they have a kanji, but when you click into the card it’s only showing kana. I’ll keep going over it though. Thanks!

2 Likes

I saw those as well. I did clean up some of them. You can push them through feedback when you see them if you want and I will fix them. Otherwise I will take a look through them when I get a chance and clear them up.

3 Likes

Yeah, if I see any more as I go I’ll flag them for you. Really appreciate this effort.

3 Likes

The main problem I have in this wonderful deck is inputting katakana. When it asks for a katakana word, ゲーム for example, it won’t accept the hiragana equivalent and I have to change the settings on my keyboard in order to enter the correct answer.

2 Likes

Pressing shift or caps lock should allow you to type in katakana if needed. I will take a look at the card and add the hiragana reading as an alternative as well.

3 Likes

Not to forget that we can always add the readings in hiragana as suggestions :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you both so much!

3 Likes

I have updated the card so it will type out in Katakana automatically.

Feel free to let me know in feedback if you come across any other instances of this.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! :+1:

1 Like

@DianaT Unfortunately the feedback you are sending is not showing any changes. I believe the reason is the fields you are attempting to use are not showing on my end.

For the meantime could you place your suggestions for those fields in the notes portion of the feedback pop up?

I’m not sure if this is a bug but since yesterday some of the cards have changed background colour. Now both meaning and reading have the red background instead of reading having the gray background. Is this supposed to have happened? I don’t think it has changed for all words though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

J->J reading layouts have been added with the latest update, this might be the cause?

2 Likes

I’m brand new to Kitsun so I don’t know if what I’m asking for is part of the application or part of the deck, but I couldn’t find a setting for it in either.

When I use Wanikani (I assume most people in this thread use/d WK as well so this should be familiar), one of the most important changes made by any userscript was the one that gave me the ability to:

1. Always do reading first, then meaning
  2. Always keep meaning and reading of a word back to back

I already went into Layout Filtering and limited to Vocab Reading / Recognition cards, since my goals are limited to being able to read JP→EN, not the other way around, not listening, not speaking. That gets me the two types of answers I want to provide. But both the words and reading/meaning are randomly shuffled, like in vanilla WK.

Is there a way to replicate the functionality I described in this deck? Or would that be something that has to be implemented in Kitsun across the board, not just this deck.

1 Like