[Discussion & Feedback] Katakana 4.5k

I’d suggest sending a suggestion to hine with the suggest changes feature. That way hine can add it as an accepted answer for everyone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This :point_up:

I’m sending a bunch of suggestions every day but I and Hine can’t do everything by ourselves nor expect this deck to be as high quality as Wanikani (for example). But we can make it a lot better together :ok_hand:

1 Like

@Neicudi @jprspereira Ok, done. Thanks for your help. I hope I didn’t suggest it in the wrong text field. tbh I’m not confident in doing it myself. It’s my first time sending suggestion like this as far as I remember.

Screenshots

I suggest it in alternative reading though at first I put comma after the first value in the Expression text field

2 Likes

:+1:

I will approve it right now :grin:

3 Likes

Request to add the word スマホ to this deck :heart_eyes: It has a crazy amount of results on google, almost 1 billion.

Wait, did you recommend this because it appeared in this week’s reading of the ABBC manga?

1 Like

added :+1:

3 Likes

Yes :eyes:

2 Likes

I just proposed changes for both “balcony” cards to accept both ベランダ and バルコニー。

also “off-season”

and also “classical music”

and also “stopper” to accept both セン and ストッパー

1 Like

Not sure if we discussed this before, but have you considered adding the extra meanings in the EN -> JP layout as smaller text? Just like in Core 10k.

1 Like

I can do that. I will take a look at it later today. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I’ve updated the deck. Let me know if it’s working correctly. :grin:

1 Like

Seems to be working well, thank you :grin:

Btw, some words that I’ve not found in this deck, but that are decently common:

リベンジ
アカウント
パワハラ
ガチャ
ペットボトル
キャップ
チート
サイド

I just encountered “トプスタ” which was translated as “top star.” The issue is that I don’t know what “top star” would mean in English. I’m a native speaker, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say that. Would this refer to a celebrity kind of star? And then, what would “top” mean in this context? A supercelebrity?

Just to correct that it’s トップスター.

Jisho might help you with that :slight_smile:

People seem to know it to refer to that specific theater troupe, but when used as a general term, it just refers to a big celebrity.

I’d say that the preferred words for celebrity in Japanese are 有名人 and タレント (from “talent”; esp used to refer to TV stars).

I sent a suggestion for this card @hinekidori :slight_smile: Might help clear things up.

1 Like

Thank you! I forgot about being able to use jisho.com on the site! Sorry if that was a question I should have been able to answer for myself, I’m very much an absolute beginner right now (level 1 on wanikani and not even knowing all the n5 grammar yet).

1 Like

@MegaZeroX
@jprspereira

Updated :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah, don’t worry about it! :slight_smile: I’m glad to see someone starting and already using such great resources :grin: Welcome to Kitsun! Hope you enjoy your stay here and feel free to ask around in case you need any help :fox_face:

1 Like

I just encountered お-ピンセット. Is this really a topology concept in the top 4500 katakana, or is this wasei eigo? Jisho only had the one definition, making it seem like the former, but I just want to make sure.

お-ピンセット? Do you mean ピンセット as in tweezers? If so, apparently it comes from the French word “pincette” and from the Dutch word “pincet”. Since wasei eigo means Japanese words derived from English, ピンセット is not wasei eigo :slight_smile: