[Discussion & Feedback] Katakana 4.5k

Please use this thread to discuss anything related to the Katakana 4.5k community deck.

Topics can include:

• General Feedback and Discussion
  • Synonym requests
  • Fixes
  • Suggestions

We hope you enjoy the deck!

1 Like

This would probably be too time consuming (and i’m not sure where you would get them from forvo?) but audio would be really nice.

Katakana can have very deception readings. For an example the card サービス, I was reading this SAA BI SU, i heard it else where and it sounded completely different to how I was reading.

Great deck overall - but my katakana is weak. I try to guess the readings and come up blank like プライバシー (scratches head Prai bashii?)

1 Like

It would be nice for sure. I’m a big fan to adding audio to my content. Unfortunately, I’m already backlogged with curation duties, but I will put it on the list of things to work on.

:grin:

3 Likes

I might be able to create a script which automatically pulls the audio for you for all the words it can find. But I’m not sure how the terms of service and stuff is for Forvo? (Aka would it be legal?)

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Automatically add Audio from Forvo

You’ve got mail.

From 0 to 250 (Index)
  • タイプ is an abbreviation for “typewriter” and “typing”, but it doesn’t specifically mention that in the meanings.
  • I would add “guide” as a synonym to ガイド
  • インターネット has “the internet” as the meaning. You could just make it as “Internet”, I don’t know xD
  • カフェ’s synonym “hotessbar” lacks spaces in it (and what’s inside the parenthesis as well).
  • The meanings of バック are weird. Check them out, you’ll understand.
  • Check the meaning of グッズ. Separated words are attached to each other.
  • Check the spacing in ブルー
  • Check the spacing in ケース
  • ツール is not accepting “tool” as a meaning, even though it’s part of the meanings. It’s a comma problem.
  • Check the spacing in アドレス
  • タイ’s meanings seem a little bit confusing. It talks about the fish, but a google image search tells that タイ is pretty much associated with Thailand, which it isn’t in the meanings. Jisho says it also means tie (which is not on the meanings). So maybe make Thailand has the main meaning, add “tie” and organize that list of synonyms a little better?
  • Google images seem to suggest that パックmainly means facial mask/facial pack. However, that’s not on the meanings. Jisho also has this meaning.
  • Check the spacing on パンツ
  • Add “football” to the meanings of サッカー :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
  • Check the spacing on ニュー
  • パン comes from the Portuguese word “pão”, not “pao”. “Pao” is wrong.
  • Check the spacing on パン
  • There’s a typo in the meanings of the word ボタン. It has “bota~o” instead of “botão”. Word with origin in the Portuguese language, so I don’t get the “UK” there in the note section.
  • Check the spacing on グリーン
  • With マンション, you have apartmenthouse as a meaning. I’m sure the right term is apartment house, though? Also, I’d add condominium as an extra meaning.
  • Check the meanings of カウンター. It turned words that should come together as different meanings.
  • Check the spacing of マスター
  • Check the spacing of バンド
  • Check the spacing of イオン
From 250 to 500 (Index)
  • Check the spacing of スポット
  • ノート has the meaning “notebook” repeated twice.
  • On ボール, the 4th meaning is supposed to be together with the 3rd meaning, but it got separated.
  • Check the spacing シングル
  • Check the spacing of ママ
  • Check the spacing of マルチ
  • Check the spacing of ラボ
  • For オレンジ、it can be used for the color and the fruit, so I’d change the meaning to “orange (fruit, color).
  • Check the spacing of オール
  • Check the spacing of コラム
  • For チェーン, I’d add that it can mean both chain (as a chain of hotels) and chain as a chain from a bicycle. Check its jisho page.
  • Check the spacing for キャリア
  • Check the spacing for ドライバー
  • Check the spacing for ドライブ
  • Check spacing of コピー
  • コピー has “copy” as a meaning twice.
  • シェア is a suru verb as well, but it’s for when it means “to share”, as it can also mean “market share”.
  • Check spacing of ウィンドウ
  • Check spacing of クラシック
  • Check spacing of ショート. Also, it can be a na adjective too. Add that to PoS.
  • Add to the notes that ステンレス is an abbreviation of ステンレス鋼. I would also change the meaning from “stainless” to “stainless steel”.
  • Check spacing of ダイエット.
  • For チラン、I’d add as meanings “flyer” and “pamphet”.
  • Check spacing of ブロック
  • Check the spacing of ダウン
  • Check the spacing of トラ
  • I’d add that エアコンin the subtitle field “(Abbreviation)” and in the notes saying that it comes from エアコンディショナー.
  • Check spacing of キャップ
  • Check spacing of コスプレ. I’d also add in the subtitle field “(Abbreviation)” and in the notes saying that it comes fromコスチュームプレー.
  • Check spacing of コンパクト
  • For サイ、I’d add the meaning “rhino” and “rhinoceros”.
  • Check spacing of デスク
  • Check spacing ハード
  • Check spacing of ハーフ
  • I’d change “route” to be the main meaning of ルート. If you check google images, you’ll only see routes.
  • Check the spacing of ローン
  • アイス has 2 meanings as “icecream”. Just add to the notes that it’s an abbreviation.
  • Check the spacing of クール
  • Check the spacing of バン
  • Check the spacing of パート
  • For ピン、I added as a 2nd meaning “one (on dice, cards)” and added that this comes from the Portuguese word “pinta”.
  • Check spacing of ラベル
  • For リビング、”living” and “room” are separated as different meanings, but it should be “living room”.
  • Check spacing of レア
  • Check spacing of プール
  • Check spacing of ヘルス
  • Check spacing of マックス
  • Check spacing of モニター
From 500 to 1084 (Index)

• For ダイニング, it’s “dining room”, not “diningroom”:
• Check the spacing of the meanings on ダイヤ
• Check the spacing of the meanings on ハンドル
• Check the spacing of the meanings on パール
• Check the spacing of the meaning on マウス
• For メモ、I’d add “memo” and “note” to the meanings.
• I’d add “sex” as a meaning of セックス
• Check the spacing of the meanings on チャレンジ
• Check the spacing of the meanings on パー
• Check the spacing of the meanings on アパート
• Check the spacing of ショット
• Check the spacing of スライド
• Check the spacing of タッチ
• チョコ just says “choco”… it isn’t give the idea that it’s an abbreviation and it means chocolate.
• Check the spacing of ファースト
• Check the spacing of ポスト
• For アトリエ、atelier is also a word used in the English language, right? If so, I’d add it as a meaning. Maybe also workshop.
• Check the spacing of アメリカン
• Check the spacing of スチール
• With デート、I’d change the main meaning to date (with someone) and the alternative to date (day).
• For パーカー、I’d add “Hoddie” as a meaning. Also, check the spacing on the existent meanings.
• Check the meanings of パイプ.
• Check the meanings of ヒット。All over the place xD
• Check the meanings of ビス
• Check the meanings of ペア
• Check the meanings of ボート
• Check the meanings of レーベル。Also, this word is far more common to describe record labels, not actual food labels (which is used ラベル instead). So maybe change the record label to be the main meaning.
• Check the meanings of レンタカー
• For ギャル, I would add the meaning “gyaru” and give a quick explanation of what it is in the note section.
• Check the meanings of クッキー
• Check the meanings of スキン
• Check the meanings of バイオ
• For ブライダル、I’d add “nuptial” as an alternative meaning maybe.
• Check the meanings of マス
• Check the meanings of ロス
• Check the meanings of アニメーション
• Check the meanings of オーバー
• Check the meanings of キロ
• Check the meanings of コンタクト
• For スープ、I’d change the meaning to “(Western) soup”.
• Check the meanings of チーズ
• For フライ、I added “deep-fry” as an alternative meaning.
• For ポーチ, pouch seems to be the most common meaning by far, so I’d change that to be the main meaning. Check on google images and you’ll only get bags basically.
• Check the meanings of ミル
• Check the meanings of クレーム
• Check the meanings of ジュース
• Check the meanings of トレーナー
• Check the meanings of ヘルメット
• Check the meanings of メッシュ
• Check the meanings of ランニング
• Check the meanings of ループ
• Check the meanings of セカンド
• Check the meanings of ポリ
• Check the meanings of メーター
• Check the meanings of リード
• Check the meanings of グラウンド
• Check the meanings of ハム
• For ファックス、I’d change “fax” to be the main meaning instead.
• Check the meanings of ブロ
• Check the meanings of マネージャー
• Check the meanings of ラッシュ
• Check the meanings of ラップ
• Check the meanings of イブ
• For エール、I changed the main meaning to “yell (of encouragement)” and alternatives to “cheering (esp. For a school sports team), ale”.
• Check the meanings of シャープ
• Check the meanings of ストック
• Check the meanings of アーム
• Check the meanings of ウエア
• Check the meanings of グラビア
• Check the meanings of チャージ
• Check the meanings of マッチ
• Check the meanings of メッセ
• Check the meanings of レコーダー
• Check the meanings of グー
• Check the meanings of サポーター
• Check the meanings of オアシス
• Check the meanings of スナック
• Check the meanings of トンネル
• Check the meanings of ライナー
• For ゼリー、I’d add “gelatine” to the meanings, as “jelly” in the UK means “jam”.
• For タン, it refers to animal tongues that you use in cooking. It’s not tongue as in our tongue. So I’d change the meaning to “tongue (of beef, pork, etc)”.
• Check the meanings of ドラッグ
• For フラン、I’d change the main meaning to Franc (currency) and add “flan” as an alternative meaning.
• Fix the meanings of ルー

1 Like

:joy: :green_heart:

2 Likes

Definitely don’t do that. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

2 Likes

I would have said football. Does any english speaking apart from america call it soccer? I just noticed the second reading and was like seersucker? that sounds insulting/rude… Had to look it up, apparently its some kind of material, or a technique done on cotton.

2 Likes

Yeah, the katakana deck has a bunch of ultra specific meanings sometimes. I just choose to ignore them, since the first meaning is always so much more common xD

1 Like

Australia and it looks like South Africa.

1 Like

Looks like we should just drop the “soccer” meaning, then, considering how few countries actually use that word :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

But “soccer” is basically the Japanese version anyway, so it shouldn’t be hard to remember. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Looks like calling it soccer reduces your chance to ever winning a football world cup to zero.

6 Likes

Added more @hinekidori. Btw, most of my suggestions on this deck are very very straightforward. Mostcasesareaboutmeaningsdisplayinglikethis. Or like, (this). It takes less than 30mins to fix the first 500 items :v:

2 Likes

Already noticing my katakana reading speed improve after using this.

Curious to know in what context are these words these common words from? For example, I think the Iknow.jp core list was based on Newspapers frequency. Are these based on news, internet, tv, manga, etc?

Hope Hine doesn’t mind me trying to answer, since you’ve been waiting for an answer for a while.

http://www.manythings.org/japanese/kana/

4,470 Katakana words marked as commonly-used in Jim Breen’s April 22, 2011 version of the EDICT dictionary.

http://www.edrdg.org/jmdict/edict_doc_old.html

Priority Entries ( P ):
Starting with the 2001 editions, approximately 20,000 entries comprising the most commonly-used words in Japanese are marked with a “( P )” at the end of the entry. This list has been identified by examining several small dictionaries, and lists of common gairaigo from Japanese newspapers.

I then asked a friend to use a bot and check for number of results on Bing (u need to pay to do it on Google, I believe) and order it by decreasing order of results (most common show up first). I think Hine used this order as well (not the original one?).

Ikr?! I can read katakana just as fast as I read hiragana now :grin:

1 Like

@hinekidori, this will be my last report in here for the Katakana deck \o/ Since this last update, it’s quite easier to report suggestions directly in Kitsun, so I’ll be doing them there for this deck.

EDIT:

Actually, I already started :3

edit

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! Looking forward to checking out this feature on my end!

1 Like