[Discussion & Feedback] Katakana 4.5k

If all goes according to plan, it will be live on Sunday :slight_smile:

3 Likes

All my suggestions listed above were sent through the new “Suggest changes” system :slight_smile: No need to look at them now. Just get scared by the number of notifications :joy:

4 Likes

Question: How can I type “ti” correctly without making it チ or テイ with big イ?

I couldn’t pass this.

It’s a small イ. Notice the size difference: イィ. This small ィ implies that the sound is “ti” and not “te + i” (like テイ would be).

To make this small ィ, you type: x + letter you want to be small :slight_smile:

4 Likes

To piggy back off of @jprspereira’s reply you can also type it out as - teli

both ways will work

3 Likes

Fantastic! :sparkling_heart: Now I can type “ti” in katakana using both ways!

教えてくれてありがとうございました!

3 Likes

There are some cards in the katakana deck that are about the same exact words, but they teach different readings. One example is that there’s a card for ビール (main reading for beer) and another for ビア (alternative reading of beer).

Have you considered just turning these into 1 card, where there’s the main reading and the alternatives? Because going EN => JP with these cards is a bit of a mess o:

Other examples are player (プレイヤー and プレーヤー), play (プレー and プレイ), lady/ready (レディ and レディー), etc.

Another solution would be to add the extra readings to the cards themselves… because that way, we’d be aware that our answers weren’t actually wrong. We just didn’t used the reading being practiced there. This would help with practicing different reading and not getting used to answer with the same one all the time.

Let’s go with extra readings. Neicudi is reluctant to delete cards for now if I remember correctly.

1 Like

I agree. I’ll start sending you the extra meanings through suggestions (the initial meaning taking priority in the card and showing up first in the readings).

I don’t mind deleting the cards if you can give me a list of IDs

Just found the word “ハートフル” (wasei word meaning heart-warming) on Jisho… Google gives me 10 million results for it… and it’s not on this deck… May I suggest it as an addiction? :grin:

3 Likes

I will not judge your addictions…

But yes I will add it to the deck :ok_hand:

4 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

LOOL :joy:

2 Likes

After adding lessons, I typed ハートフル and my answer was marked wrong.

My temporary solution was adding ハートフル as a community synonym/note.

Edit: Oh, jp already posted about this. I just read that above. Though I’m not sure if it’s the same problem.

Small world, just had the lesson for ハートフル :slight_smile:

There is something wrong with the card itself, in the list of new items it appears in English while everything else is in kana.

No, that was me suggesting this card to be added :b

The card lacks the reading in the reading field, it has no answer basically. I already messaged Hine and sent a fix through the suggestion system. For now, I suggest just napping it until it gets fixed :v:

1 Like

@bill
@acm2010
@jprspereira

Updated. Thanks for the feedback!

:grin:

3 Likes

Thank you all! I deleted my synonyms and it worked now.

1 Like

I suggested this alternative meaning to add to this card:

But somehow it isn’t being accepted? :thinking: