[Discussion & Feedback] Genki Complete Vocabulary

I’m having an issue with the audio for the ピザ card. When I press play it acts like it’s playing (switches from the play button to pause), but I hear no sound and it doesn’t end by itself (stays as the pause button until I manually pause it). It’s the only card that I’ve found that doesn’t seem to be working, so I can get around the audio review by just remembering which one doesn’t play, but I thought it would be good to mention.

Edit: Having the same issue with 散歩する and アジア研究 too.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting. Does this happen on a iOS device by any chance? Might be an issue with Kitsun rather than just the deck if so.

I don’t have an iOS device to test it on. It happened this morning on the website (Firefox on PC, if that’s helpful).

Edit: Just tried it on the browser on my phone and it did work, though the volume was incredibly quiet.

1 Like

Ah sorry I didnt mean to ask you to test on a iOS device! I meant to ask whether it occured on a iOS device when it did not play the audio. If it was on a pc then that eliminates the problem I was thinking of :grin:

Thanks! I’ll try to look at what might be causing this issue very soon :smile:

1 Like

Why are there sometimes two cards with the same word?

I found コンピューター two times: index 107 and 32
Same with ビジネス: index 108 and 33

Maybe there’s a reason, but I just wanted to point it out because I wasn’t sure.

1 Like

When I built the list for the deck I was being a bit of a completionist and pulled the vocabulary lists from both 1st and 2nd editions of Genki. The doubled up words are where the vocabulary got moved around in the editions.

2 Likes

Thank you @hinekidori! It’s not really bothering me, but at least I know the reason now :relaxed:

1 Like

Could there be an GENKI 3rd Edition version?

I have tried to copy it and make my own but it is going nowhere.

1 Like

I also started using Genki 3rd edition and would like it if this deck was updated. There’s no big changes as far as I can tell so this version still works fine, but I do like their additions. Just as an exercise, I looked through the lesson 1 vocab list to see what wasn’t there.

Lesson 1
Example suffixes - the suffexes of these already existed in the vocab list, but a full vocab word using the suffix was added in the book next to each suffix.
一年生 - First Year Student
日本人 - Japanese people
一時 - one o’clock
二時半 - half past two

Countries
カナダ - Canada
インド - India
エジプト - Egypt
フィリピン - Philippines

Majors
工学 - Engineering
生物学 - Biology

Occupations
看護師 - nurse (was listed at level 11)

1 Like

I don’t currently own the 3rd edition, but I will look into it.

It may take a while for me to put together an updated list.

1 Like

@hinekidori By any chance are you able to share how you added the “furigana on hover” feature? I was making a vocab deck with your 10K Template that you have on the Community Center, but that deck doesn’t seem to have that feature added. :frowning: (I can implement it myself with a little direction, or if it’s published to the actual template then that is cool too! Another option is to just publish that glorious Genki Template as well. :wink: )

I’m still fairly new to Japanese, so that feature is a lifesaver! I could learn them, but doing 20 kanji/day on WK and then learning a ton more with new vocab is a bit much…

Regardless, thanks for all the hard work! Your decks and templates are awesome. :slight_smile:

Just checking, are you referring to a book or a set for Genki?

1 Like

@techneko

I have updated my templates to include the Genki set. :+1:

Seems like the quickest solution.

2 Likes

@hinekidori That’s perfect! Thanks so much. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got it directly from a physical copy of the book, page 38, though I may not have been particularly thorough.

1 Like

Oh okay thanks for letting me know! I wasn’t trying to challenge how reliable your info was or anything, I just wanted to know if some online list already existed elsewhere. In that case I would have suggested just using a tool for checking differences in vocab lists and then fixing it from there. But now that I’m thinking about it, if there’s been suggestions for changes that have been made for the set on Kitsun, you wouldn’t really be able to use that strategy effectively unless you’re willing to give up those suggestions… Good luck whoever is working on this though!

I tried to find something like a word list as well in case I wanted to help myself, and I actually did find an anki deck just now, though it’s not complete yet.

1 Like

I’m having this issue, too.

I’ve just started the deck, but the あの and あたらしいともだち cards are giving me issues with audio playback. In this case however, I am using an iOS device / Safari.

I’ll try clearing the cache to see if it helps.

Edit: the かいわ card is another. This came up after I cleared the cache, and was in the same lesson batch as “new friends” above - which I should note was still a problem. That’s three cards in forty words, so it’s going to get a little difficult if this continues. Any suggestions / workarounds?

I think it’s the browser, not the card. I tried Safari and those audio don’t play but Chrome worked for me.

1 Like

I have no doubt the problem is something other than the card, as the issue I’m having doesn’t seem widespread, but to be a few isolated incidents.

I downloaded Chrome as suggested, and problems have continued: first two cards 今 and いえご the audio failed to play (same problem, press play, switches to pause, no audio, have to press pause to stop it). Same issue with Safari.
Tried to my iPad (6th Gen), but it’s the same issue.
Tried it on my iPhone X (Safari), same cards are proving to be an issue.
I can try my Mac later - I don’t have any windows software to check on, sadly.

1 Like