180+ Common Expressions Companion Deck

Hi All,

I published this deck last month for those interested:
https://kitsun.io/store/detail/5eb883cda4317973f10a6bb5

Summary

This is a companion deck to the book that teaches " ‘set expressions’ Japanese people often use but are not introduced in textbooks". Nearly all expressions and idioms were generated through Kitsun’s dictionary w/ audio along with a few extra notes on abstract entries.

The book itself includes at least two conversations per entry for reading and listening (CD or upload) along with a layout by category and other extras so recommended to have a better understanding of context (but not necessary). 200 pgs, ~1500 yen

Based on the great feedback from @Buscadon, I just updated the entries with example sentences; not from the book but from outside reliable sources like Weblio and Jisho. These were the most I could find so feel free to make suggestions here and I can update. Also updated are the proper tags for the book chapters for those who intend on using the book. There were 3 duplicates as well that were deleted (apologies if this created problems, I can give the entries if necessary).

Thankfully, Kitsun was able to capture most audio and I encourage using it since it’s most practical for conversational/listening practice. It’s more like a grammar deck than a vocab deck so I’ve going pretty slow with it, particularly for the Eng->Jp practice. According to natives I’ve shared with though, the idioms are very common and practical but many original idioms have a very archaic literal meaning which is an extra challenge.

7 Likes

No problem, thanks to you for taking the time to make this set! I really appreciate it, and to be honest it probably the funnest set I’ve been doing with Kitsun.io. Good idea using Weblio and Jisho to find example sentences, that will really help with being able to understand how certain phrases are used and what they mean. Fortunately, I didn’t encounter any of the duplicates so far, but thanks for catching them and removing them before I did. I’m around 70 words in at this point,

I’m same with the progress of the deck. For one, it’s not a particularly large deck due to its nature, so I don’t want to run through it. And secondly, sometimes it’s like you’re remembering whole sentences, so having too many lessons a day would probably be too hard, especially if you don’t recognize all the individual components of a phrase. :sweat_smile: And thanks for the information from native speakers! I was actually just thinking yesterday about how common these phrases are and how they might make me sound. I’m glad that they seem to actually be common and practical. I wonder if some phrases here are a bit “cheesy” though, like in a similar sense to “the bee’s knees” or “cool as a cucumber.”

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Can’t wait to dig into it myself one of these days :smiley:

2 Likes

@s1212z
Hey, I have a question about the phrase “甘い汁を吸う”
In the notes, it says “to use others for easy personal profit,” but this is not included in the definitions. Do you know if this is like the “nuance” of the phrase that is attached to every translation?

For example, when it’s translated as “to make money without working” does it have a nuance of doing this by using (exploiting) others? I know one translation is “to line one’s pockets,” but would be nice to know if that nuance is true for every other meaning as well.

Hi!

Sorry for any confusion. The definition is the Kitsun generated definition. In the book, they also used “skim off the cream” as the primary definition and then “to use others for easy personal profit” in their side notes. The way I see this, one is an English idiom and the other is the literal primary definition.

I checked with a native and it’s a nefarious type of situation even with Kitsun’s other meanings (“to be onto a good thing”). Hope this helps, if there is a better way to phrase the card, just let me know and I can update.

1 Like

Hey, I was trying to suggest a change in the deck, but there seems to be some kind of bug around the problem card itself.

There seems to be two copies of 根も葉もない. I think the lower one is better, so would prefer getting rid of the top one, though obvs that’s up to you.

Just for reference to @Neicudi if he could use this info somehow, this message appears when I try to propose a suggestion to the top duplicate card.

1 Like

Hmm weird, I’ll take a look later!

@s1212z Do you happen to know whether the original card (not the published copy) was deleted from the deck or something?

I didn’t see a duplicate but I just updated the deck anyways. Perhaps log out/in and check again? Unless Neicudi already fixed it.

2 Likes

The published version of the deck does have two cards, one of them seems to be older and has no “original” card linked to it anymore:

The older one ^ (I assume)

The newer one ^

The old one also lacks the tags that the other one has :open_mouth: Do you remember anything regarding these cards maybe? Might help track down what’s causing this issue.

I can just delete the old card to fix the problem, but preferably I’d want to fix the actual cause of the issue first ^^

2 Likes

I just wiped my cache and then logged back in, and unfortunately the duplicate card is still there. So it wouldn’t seem that is the problem.

I recall deleting this particular card before I updated 6/24 and it hasn’t circulated in my home deck since then.

And just a sanity check, I have 188 cards…not sure if everyone matches.

I suppose the temporary solution is to hibernate it for now, sorry for the trouble!

1 Like

:open_mouth: That’s so odd! We have the same amount somehow. It’s a wild guess, but maybe its data replaced another card somehow when it was published?

No problem, just an odd bug!

1 Like

Thanks, that helps :smiley: I’m gonna put it on my prio buglist, if I recall correctly you shouldn’t be able to delete referenced cards to begin with :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@Neicudi, I accidentally have a double card in a published deck but I see I’m locked from deleting it (assume this is a safety lock so publishers don’t destroy community decks, is this right?) I was adding proverbs and didn’t notice 聞く耳を持たない was a double, would you be able to delete the one with the ‘proverb’ tag?

1 Like

Sure, will try to do it soon! Your assumption is correct, but it’s mostly to prevent community decks being wiped accidentally or intentionally (hackers or whatever), as that would also wipe the progress of everyone using those decks.

Having a better system for this is still on my todo list (e.g. a system where authors can request deletions of cards and I/other admins can approve the request or something similar…)

3 Likes

Finally finished this deck!! :partying_face: :tada:

I highly recommend it to anyone, having the book is a nice addition but not really required :smile: I hear these phrases all the time while watching anime with @jprspereira :eyes: , and it’s always a nice surprise to be able to understand a big expression immediately :heart_eyes: Thank you for making it,@s1212z :grin:

5 Likes

Is that a you should also study this deck wink wink? :eyes:

4 Likes

It’s just to remind you how common these phrases are :Р :eyes: :yellow_heart:

4 Likes

Congrats! Glad you like the deck and find it useful, all your feedback has been most helpful to improve the deck! I’m only halfway myself but look to make some more headway soon :smiley:

My mistake on 郷に入っては郷に従え :bowing_man: Part of the issue was that my conversation partner told me 郷へ行ったら郷に従え and I didn’t find it in the deck so I added it…not realizing they gave me the wrong kanji! Plus you just found the entry which I didn’t have before for some reason so I just added the audio, hooray!

Certainly don’t want the error card circulating, @Neicudi could 郷へ行ったら郷に従え be deleted as well as card “DNU”…sorry for the trouble! @TheSuicidalMuffin, I saw your feedback and will use the deletion request in the upcoming release.

4 Likes