The Study Streak Challenge! 💮

Yeah I started it like… 1.5 years ago or something like that? I’m having trouble remembering xD :smile: I do hear about some interesting words from that deck from @jprspereira :eyes:

3 Likes

I managed it again (although there were a couple of days where I only did a few dozen reviews because grandparents came over). December will be tough as I’ll be a bit busy emigrating. My aim is to be able to join the level 50 club by January and focus more and more on Kitsun towards April/May in preparation for N1.
download%20(13)

4 Likes

Damnn, N1? For how long have you been studying? :open_mouth:

Checking in with my month (above 400 days!):

4 Likes

@Buscadon we really wanna know if you achieved your monthly goal :heart_eyes: Because that will mean we all did it this month <3

3 Likes

By the time I take the N1 in July 2021, I will have had 2 years and 4 months of study.
I studied for a year between July 2017 - September 2018.
I then took a break to finish high school and restarted studying actively without any other distractions in March of 2020 when our final exams were cancelled (they calculated our grades based on schoolwork and midterms) and they basically discharged us for the rest of the year except for some online classwork that wasn’t summative.
I’ll be finished with Wanikani and Bunpro by February/March but I feel like the daily 10-15 hours of immersion I’ve been getting have put me far ahead of content. Half of my Wanikani lessons now feel like “Oh, it’s that character, I thought I’d learnt that already” since I had likely looked it up earlier when watching something with Japanese subtitles and it managed to stick without SRS.
Meanwhile, Bunpro (grammar) lessons are a series of lightbulb moments when I realize what that grammar point which kept popping up actually meant and so they stick very easily. I also notice that listening to the same podcasters a lot of the times makes input very very comprehensible since people have incredibly repetitive speaking patterns as a general rule and make use of somewhat limited vocabulary that they’re more comfortable using (I became super aware of this when I realized I had a lot more verbal crutches in Portuguese than I do in English).
So now my plan is to finish up the JLPT word and character lists to make sure I have everything covered after Bunpro and Wanikani (I’m also focusing on personal names and Japanese cities/prefectures since they’re very SRSable).
I hope that at some point I can just stop doing SRS and focus on 24/7 immersion since that’s what I unconsciously did with English and I turned out fine. I feel like I would be further ahead than I am if I wasn’t so lazy with reading non-audio books, though but using Japanese subtitles in half or so of the content seems to cover that as I don’t have much trouble reading the occasional news article.

4 Likes

Here we go! Nice job everyone! Great month for studying it seems~

4 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap: Good luck to anyone taking JLPT if they are able.

38%20PM

4 Likes

Got my first Master cards today!! :100: :purple_heart: :partying_face:

Something recently inspired me to take a look at how I distribute my time when I’m doing hobbies, and from the results I adjusted a bunch of my previous goals. I’m hoping it makes it easier for me to spend my time well and get through that backlog of 1697 reviews. :woozy_face:

My favorite addition is my weekly checklist, which keeps this kind of stuff on my mind and makes it a lot easier to do small goals throughout the week instead of binging a hobby once a week, or forgetting about it entirely. I know it’s a pretty basic thing, but I just didn’t find a checklist system that worked until now.

5 Likes

Hey hey! Im jumping on this if thats aight! This sounds like fun and a good way to get to know other kitsun’ers… im a little not present on the forums.

5 Likes

Just about to turn level 20! Hows everyone doin?

2 Likes

I’m doin! Just about to finish my final exam tomorrow, and then I’ll be free to chill for Winter Break. :smile: Might work on a new set and learn how to make songs for Rocksmith.

2 Likes

Excellent! The freedom of final exams being done was a great feeling. Good luck on the last day of exams!

3 Likes

Figured I should study Japanese before my final exam today. I’ve been procrastinating really hard on my personal kanji practice set because I knew I was bound to have forgotten a lot. So, I just sat down and ran through all the review, and I didn’t do as bad as I thought I would!

Down to 800 reviews upcoming!

Now onto the 会話お決まり表現 set…

4 Likes

Hey hey! how did exams go?

3 Likes

Oh thanks for asking, they went pretty well, got A’s on all of them besides one! That one was a bit of a shame because I needed just one more question right for an A, and there were multiple questions where I got it wrong because I just didn’t read. X-x Happy to be on winter break though!

Update: Still ended up getting an A in the class anyways thanks to rounding! Yay!

5 Likes

(sorry my week got really away from me)

Congratulations on the good scores! Here’s to hoping your break goes awesomely!
im half way through level 20! hoping i can hit 21 before the new year.
YAY ARBITRARY LEVELS

4 Likes

I zero’d out my reviews and lessons today! I’ll admit that this has been the hardest month due to my birthday, Christmas, and being without my computer for a couple of days (yesterday I had 900 Wanikani reviews piled up which took me 2 hours to get through) so I’ve mostly just been doing a couple dozen reviews on Kitsun every day until today. I should have lots of free time from now on (which is great because I’m about to get to the fast levels on Wanikani as well as N1 content on Bunpro). I’m excited for this because in a matter of 4 months I’ll be Kitsun-exclusive in preparation for the JLPT in July (if all goes well).
download

5 Likes

I updated the table and added January so everyone can put their goals for this month too^^
@jprspereira you haven’t added yours for December even, wanna join in now? :wink:

4 Likes

Been doing better finally :slight_smile: Tbh, I haven’t done much investing in language learning in 2020, just pretty much kept up with reviews. It feels good to see reviews at 0 while getting back to doing daily lessons :muscle:

@tomoyotk, feeling like joining us this month too? :smile:

6 Likes

GOOD WORK JP!!! :fox_face: :heart:
おつかれー!!! :heart:

I’ll join this challenge one day when I have more time to sneak in my reviews >:3
and when the french language decks get here :eyes:

4 Likes