The Lost WK Levels: 61-70

Nice catch, I updated a new mnemonic. まさ is actually a common reading too which wasn’t even listed so added that as well.

I kept the すく as a second entry, I think it may be an alternative to 救うbut not sure what its use is at this point. Just put a note so users are aware.

All set

1 Like

Looks like 吏 also has a kunyomi reading of つかさ, though it is very rare (seemingly only used for a title of a position in ancient China).

For 啄, I don’t see any reference to つく outside of webdict2 using sites, not even in names (which all seem to use たく). Because of this, たく is the right primary reading to teach, but it is worth noting that 啄む and 啄木鳥 appear to be the most common words that use it, neither of which use it.

喬 seems to also have the reading おご・る as well.

嗣 also has the reading つ・ぐ as well. Especially important to add since つぐ is the second most common reading for names, right after し.

1 Like

It comes up as a name. Tsukasa seems to be both a boy or girl name. The one I found had 吏 as a boy name so made note.

I added the words even though we have 啄木, it’s a different reading. I see 啄木鳥 is usually written kana alone so made not. I see the taku for names. I’ll try to keep multiple readings within the kanji card but I kept one mnemonic for this one.

All set

Made note it share same reading/meaning as 継ぐ, I think it will help to remember.

Thank for all the suggestions as always! :slight_smile: Feel free to add any via the feedback loop if easier while reviewing otherwise happy to discuss, these not always obvious.

1 Like

I tend to like posting them here just because I think I like it being 2 way, like you mentioning the 吏 reading of つかさ! I hope that is okay.

2 Likes

嚇 is also read いか・る and おど・かす.

For 圭, you are missing the kunoyomi たま. The only word it appears in is a Chinese historical/mythical thing, but it sees use in several names.

For 墾, こん is the only jouyou reading, but the memnonic doesn’t cover it. Also, I am only seeing はる as a nanori reading rather than a kunyomi one outside of sources using kanjidic2.

1 Like

All set

Added it in (3 readings in one sentence, :sweat_smile:)

I left it as a note, I couldn’t confirm it either so just mentioned as a possible nanori only.

Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So, I don’t know why, but the past few days have only been giving me kanji lessons, which is really hurting my retention vs the kanji vocab alteration. Is there a reason that this got changed?

I don’t know, where are you at right now? My vocab is mixing it in.

I’m going slow through the deck, I think I’m on ~L63 kanji right now. I hibernate everything and just release new lessons on the pace I want. It’s possible your excellent retention leveled up on vocab too quick at higher level and awaits its next level later on. You can see your level on the management page for each item. Some users customize their spacing as well, not sure if the case here, it can be adjusted.

I haven’t even finished level 61 vocab, I think. If I have, then I just barely got to level 62. I’ve only done something like 20 vocab items I think.

Edit: I have around 48 kanji cards gone through and only 24 vocab lessons.

At any rate, I’m going to add some vocab lessons to the front of my lesson queue.

1 Like

For 奎, it appears it also has the kunyomi readings of とかきぼし and また.

嫡 appears to have a kunyomi reading of よつぎ

孟 is another one where kanjidic2 seems to be giving weird results. I don’t see かしら and みょう as readings elsewhere, and it seems to be missing まん and はじ・め.

宏 seems to be missing おお・きい as a reading.

All set :+1:

They are listing かしら as a last name, it could be historical or region dependent but not sure. I’m not certain on みょう, all I know is I hit a lot Confucius material but I don’t know enough to search it deeply.

I’m not sure what to make of all these additional readings study wise. I know WK would sort of shelter us with rare readings but I assume to make it available and let users decide.

1 Like

For the first, that would make it nanori, which I’m okay with including, but it really should be its own category (and if so, there are a lot of nanori that should be added that I don’t include).

For the second, where did you find this, out of curiosity?

As for more lessons:

With 宵, “wee hours” just seems like a wrong translation. Everything (including the “early night” kanjidic 2 meaning) indicates that it refers explicitly to early night, as in right after it gets dark. “Wee hours” implies after midnight, which is basically the main time you can’t use it.

From kanjipedia: よい。夕ぐれ。日が暮れてまもないころ。また、よる。

From kanjijitenon: よい。日が暮れて暗くはじめたころ。
よる。日が暮れてから夜中まで間。

For 峻, you are missing きび・しい and おお・きい. Also, given its prevalence in names, it may be best to emphasize the たか reading as well.

For 崚, たか・い and けわ・しいい are also readings.

1 Like

We don’t have a nanori value in the kanji default template and wouldn’t know how to resolve this. Here is what I found on かしら:

I think it’s ok, you have words like 宵っぱり (night owl) which I think implies ‘wee hours’ through late at night/early morning, it is one of first hit vocab so I think that is why it is getting included. 宵闇 (dusk) and 宵 alone which appears to be defined as dusk/evening so it seems to be covering both grounds.

All set, I saw it as けわしい so that is what I added.

1 Like

Oops yeah that is what I meant. That was a typo

1 Like

For 嵩, it may be best to give たか as a reading as a targeted reading as well, since that is the predominant name reading. Also the meanings seem a little off. It seems like the meanings of “capacity” “grow bulky” and “tall mountain” are what are listed by my usual two sources.

For 嵯, I don’t see the reading of し anywhere. The words I see for it are 嵯嵯, 嵯峨, and 嵯しい, while the names seem to all have it read as さ as well. Speaking of 嵯しい. けわ・しい is also a reading.

There is nothing wrong with 嶺. though if there was ever one begging for nanori, it is this one.

Looks like 巌 is missing the がけ reading. And it also has a meaning of “cliff” as well it seems. And it feels like いわ should also be somewhat emphasized since it appears to be the second most common name reading (behind みね).

It looks like 巳 doesn’t have a mnemonic yet.

1 Like

All set, I just added rather than replaced. I don’t know of a singular authoritative source for English translation on kanji. From what I know WK probably uses JMdict sources much like Kitsun build here. How do we know the ‘better’ translation (because I’m not sure)? I’ll assume to keep both unless otherwise known.

Kunyomi added. I added “し may very be rare or mistake”, I couldn’t find anything either unless again, perhaps some rare regional thing (or mistake, I’m not sure here)

:slightly_smiling_face:

All set

The picture will do better than a mnemonic, added wiki link for reference (fun read too).

1 Like

How timely my last lesson was, as I literally just encountered 嶺 today as みね. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For 巴 you may want to give a way to remember the は reading, since it is prolific in names (I’m seeing 100s of names with it). Also, for the meaning, it may just be best to have 3 of “tomoe, whirlpool, legendary giant snake” since “comma-design” is just an awkward way at getting at tomoe, which the users really ought to be forced to do.

For 巽, it also has a kunyomi of ゆず. Also, in names, たつ/たつみ is dominant, so it seems like you might want to promote that reading as well.

1 Like

All set for both. Honestly, I didn’t have a decent mnemonic until now…sometimes the well runs dry :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Finally added all radical shapes in each entry for the mnemonic through L70

1 Like