The Lost WK Levels: 61-70

The Lost WK Levels: 61-70 deck includes the remaining N1 & 常用漢字 367 kanji not included on WaniKani based on wkstats to create levels 61-70. Almost all kanji have custom mnemonics and all cards are seperated by level tag which can be filtered to recreate the WK experience along with 466 vocab words. If you want an even more extensive kanji list, I suggestion checking out the Beyond WK kanji deck.

I no doubt have typos or bad grammar in the mnemonics, so feedback is welcomed (along with additional mnemonics on empty kanji). Space is limited so I usually selected the first onyomi reading unless I found the kunyomi more useful. If there are other N1 kanji not included (and WK), happy to add them as well, enjoy!

BTW, the cover title parallels game review for SMB2 (JP): Retrospective reviewers recommended the game for those who mastered the original, or those who would appreciate a painful challenge. I would say the same for this deck :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Just checked it out. Really nice!

Did you come up with the mnemonics yourself?

1 Like

Great, glad you like it :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, I came up with the mnemonics, hopefully they are helpful. Some will see that I’m using simpler kanji as a radical base or improvising something different entirely; otherwise most only make sense if you understand WK radicals and have used their system. I think this covers all joyo kanji now w/ WK (2211 total by my count)

I just updated a few additional sentences on the vocab but I’m finding it really difficult to find any useful sentences (and I’m not even sure it’s necessary this kind of vocab) so open to suggestions or leaving most blank since it’s just for enforcing kanji.

4 Likes

A couple of updates to this deck, I’ve been adding more mnemonics to attempt to help users and myself as much as possible .

In addition, there were some kanji that did not make the original list and have been added (along with associated vocab):

L61:亦,亨,儒,鵬,鷹,麟,麿,黎,黛
猪- switch from L64-> L65
L68: 誼,諄,謁

I expected most all Joyo kanji would be covered by this point, but that wasn’t true :sob:

So double checking wkstats Joyo, here is the remaining list which be forthcoming: Done!

Level 68

侶僅冥刹剥勃勾咽唾喩嗅嘲堆塞填妬嫉弄彙怨恣惧慄憬戚拉拭挫捗捻摯斑旺昧曖曽柵

Level 69

柿桁梗楷毀氾汎沃淫溺潰煎玩璧璽瓦畏畿痕瘍稽窟箋籠綻緻罵翁肘股腎腫腺膳臆臼舷

Level 70

苛萎葛蓋蔽裾訃詣詮諧謁貌貪踪辣遵醒釜錮頓頬顎餅餌骸麓麺盧孜渕煕幌曽梶

There is also the frequency list:

1000-1500

盧,孜,渕,煕,幌, 梶

1500-2000

To be checked

Not sure whether to cap it there or consider 2001-2500 as well, will have to look them through, feedback welcomed here :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’m seeing the stroke order diagrams on my iphone but not desktop which still has broken images. Am I alone?

I’m finally starting this deck myself, I’ll update any necessary formats or add any missing mnemonics as I go. Feel free to ping the feedback if I miss, thx!

They’re displaying like this on both my laptop and my android. Using Chrome on both, so maybe that’s it? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yes! Chrome on desktop not working but Safari desktop and PWA is ok (Chrome on iphone is ok too). I updated my browser but same broken image.

It’s related to Chrome not allowing http images to be displayed in a https environment anymore. The images in your deck were all still using the direct Jisho links to the images. For newly generated cards, this has been fixed by storing all the images on Kitsun hosting and using those.

I just ran a db script that fixed the url for all previously generated cards, so the stroke order diagrams should now show up correctly! :smiley:

3 Likes

I see it now in Chrome desktop, looks great, thank you!

3 Likes

Ooh, this looks like a cool thing to use when I finish WK in a few weeks. Nice work! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

FYI: I’ve just added the deck to the featured section, it’s evident that you put a lot of effort into creating this deck and I hope more people will get to use it! :smiley:

It might be nice to put out a list of radical names and shapes somewhere (or perhaps link to the list/individual radicals on wk?) for the ones that forgot most of the WK radicals (like me :laughing:) . Regardless, fantastic work!

4 Likes

@MegaZeroX, nice to see another familiar face…er, avatar around here! Hope you enjoy Kitsun and the deck.

Nice, hope it will be an asset to users. I’ll keep tuning the deck as I go to make it better.

I did have an alternative cover instead of mario but I didn’t want to overstep the cross-platform bounds. But there was an inside joke on the whole scavenger riddle-jiddle a couple years ago on extra levels with even a reference on the kanji for on the hellish pits of kanji study.

Summary

I forgot you are an ol’ timer :smile:, and there was the whole mnemonic overhaul so hopefully it’s ok. I believe the radicals referenced are usually the latest but also extrapolating meanings too.

For the radicals, I think the radical shapes would be ok to list. There is a ‘Radical’ and ‘Parts’ section to the card but they are not actively displayed. I know we can do something like this to cards now, just a question where to put it (rather not have it in the actual mnemonic, not everything highlighted is a radical).
<a href="https://www.wanikani.com/radicals/fingers">扌</a>

1 Like

Will you consider doing more levels beyond 70 at some point? I’d love to learn the Jinmeiyou at some point.

There also is a point to be made about learning the Nanori readings with some names as practice.

2 Likes

I know many of these are covered in the WK and Beyond deck (not all though). Link is above if you haven’t seen it yet. According to Wiki, there are 633 not included in the Joyo list (but I recognize some so I suspect they are in the N1 spectrum).

I’m up for adding more levels w/ mnemonics if this is helpful. However I’d like to keep the levels by priority of usefulness. There are some remaining on the 1500-2000 ad 2000-2500 frequency list which mixes in Jinmeiyou but I think WK and B may cover these areas already. I would need help compiling a list and perhaps cross-referencing with a native on necessity (I don’t trust myself at this level) along with useful names to practice with. I’m up for ideas though.

There is are a couple of names decks that include solo kanji practice readings that @TheSuicidalMuffin added in the community center from Anki import. I believe there are boys, girl, family decks with ~3000 entries along with individual kanji. I haven’t use any of these so can’t comment but looks like a pretty long list.

1 Like

Ooh cool I didn’t hear about that! Thanks!

2 Likes

Edit: I forgot to mention but the Cities of Japan deck is also essential for learning Nanori readings and Kanji so make sure to add that to your studies.

Original reply:

Yeah. Whereas before I was always tripping up on names of places and people, I find that I’m now 60% through the Boy, Girl, and Family names decks, I’ve grown used to the ‘logic’ of nanori readings and can guess better when/which are used. The decks have the 1000ish most common names each organized by frequency. You’ll find that you’ll learn a lot of nanori readings of common use kanji as well as new jinmeiyou kanji. There are also some absolute monstrosities with multiple readings and conversely names like あきら that have way too many ways of being written and you don’t know which unless you ask the person.
It has also helped me to memorize more advanced Kanji readings ahead of schedule and I notice that it makes the learning process for those Kanji when I stumble upon them in non-name contexts.

3 Likes

Here’s an incomplete list of Jinmeiyou Kanji that are not included in the Names decks, cities deck, and/or lost levels deck

List

云⁠

些⁠

伊⁠

凌⁠

劉⁠

嘗⁠

已⁠

彗⁠

怜⁠

惟⁠

惚⁠

悉⁠

惹⁠

惺⁠

或⁠

挺⁠

捲⁠

捷⁠

捧⁠

揃⁠

摑⁠

摺⁠

撒⁠

撰⁠

撫⁠

擢⁠

孜⁠

斯⁠

昊⁠

昌⁠

晏⁠

晒⁠

智⁠

暉⁠

曙⁠

曝⁠

杜⁠

杵⁠

黎⁠

黛⁠

柑⁠

柘⁠

柾⁠

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing and filtering! Would you find adding these to this deck to be useful as @MegaZeroX suggested ?

Here is the condensed list, almost 130 by my count (~4 levels)

乎,云⁠,些⁠,仔,亮,伊⁠,佃,俄,俠,俣,俐,俱,倦,傭,儲,兎,兜,其,凌⁠,凧,凰,函,劉⁠,劫,卿,厨,厩,叉,叢,吞,吻,哨,哩,喰,嘗⁠,圃,坐,坦,埴,堰,堺,塙,壕,壬,夷,奄,套,娃,姪,姥,娩,宋,宕,寓,寵,尖,屑,峨,已⁠,巫,巷,帖,庇,庚,庵,廟,廻,弛,彗⁠,徠,忽,怜⁠,恢,恰,惟⁠,惚⁠,悉⁠,惹⁠,惺⁠,或⁠,戟,托,按,挺⁠,挽,掬,捲⁠,捷⁠,捺,捧⁠,掠,揃⁠,摑⁠,摺⁠,撒⁠,撰⁠,撞,播,撫⁠,擢⁠,孜⁠,斧,斯⁠,昊⁠,昏,昌⁠,晏⁠,晒⁠,晋⁠,晦,智⁠,暉⁠,曙⁠,曝⁠,曳,杖,杜⁠,杭,杵⁠,黎⁠,黛⁠,鼎,杷,枇,柑⁠,柘⁠,柾⁠

The thing with Jinmeiyou, reading is probably priority and meaning much less so in my opinion. So if I were to add these, I’d probably shape the mnemonics toward the naori reading…I’ll see how well that fits. Probably add common name readings within the card and not a separate…I think the decks you posted are much better suited for that type of practice. But up for suggestions and shared thoughts here.

Talking with natives on this topic, it’s very area dependent and where you live on which names you come across more often and there is the historical component too (of course media is universal).

2 Likes

Correction: 晋 is already in the Lost Levels Deck. That was an oversight on my part.

2 Likes

Just a quick mention that when posting big lists like that, it might be a good idea to put it inside a [details=“Summary”][/details] to avoid the scrolling :slight_smile:

2 Likes