Tap... tap... Is this thing on?

I’ve been developing my own flashcard app, but I’d be interested in tying in to kitsun. Any plans for an API yet?

1 Like

A public api is definitely in the planning, but is currently a bit lower priority since I’m still preparing the platform for launch.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of API functionality would you be interested in? (I’m guessing card creation, based on your post).

Hmmm… I think the power of a public API would be in decoupling the things you study from where you study them. Much the way it is with WaniKani. I can study on their website, or study on my phone with one of the community-developed apps.

In service of that, card creation would actually fairly low on my list. I would be more interested in accessing decks and cards, and being able to save study progress. This way I could switch between a dedicated mobile app and the website with ease. If I could only study (and not create) decks and cards on my device, I could live with that.

But that’s just me… :wink:

1 Like

To be honest, the website’s design is a little weird on the phone, but it’s quite managenable, even if you compare it with the third party apps for WaniKani.

And since I know that a redesign will happen eventually… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Ah yes, that’s been asked before and I would definitely like to support this as I probably will not mess around with creating native or hybrid apps (done it before, would not like to do it again :stuck_out_tongue: )

As soon as the system is stable and the internal API is ‘final’ (which should be pretty soon), I’ll start development on the public API :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sweet! I’ll be on the lookout!

2 Likes

Hi there, has there been any update on this? I’m looking for the APIs for kitsun but was unable to find any. If there is, may I ask if you can show me where it’s documented?

2 Likes

Hiya,

I afraid I haven’t gotten around to creating a public API yet as it was put on the backburner due to other features taking priority.

However, I will need to create one when I start working on the Kitsun Browser Extension (since that will work based on your API key), so when I start with that, it will also include a version 1 of the public API.

I’ve written a bit more about the general roadmap and the browser extension in this post:

What would you like to see in the public API? Is there anything specific you are looking to do with it?

1 Like

Hi there,

I think it’s expected to see some APIs for card, deck, reviews, dictionary. You can build a fairly functional app with just those APIs.

I want to make a little plugin that helps me with my study. It can look up words, add cards to decks, send notification when it’s time to do review, etc. I know that the current Kitsun plugin allows one to add cards to deck, but it lacks some aspects that I’d love to have. Things like being able to lookup and add words to deck without having to leave my current tab is a big plus since I don’t have to do some context switching.

1 Like

Ah, that’s what the browser extension would do (it’s not the same one as the one currently available) for texts you encounter anywhere on the web.

I’d love to give a public API a shot soon, considering I already have an API token system, it shouldn’t be too difficult to set up (aside from adding limitations/documentation).

I’ll ping here once I got something basic set up :slight_smile: Thanks for the feedback and reply :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi! Hijacking to put in my 2 cents :slight_smile:

What I would love to do with a public API:
create a helper script for my studies. I think it would be great to have saved “configurations” of community decks I have under my profile (i.e., have pre-defined sets of cards based off tags) that I can easily re-configure the deck to. This would be useful if I’m concentrating on studying a specific category in a deck (and later, if I’ve moved on, it would be handy to switch back to previous configurations). It would also be useful to keep track of which cards I have hibernated because I never want to see them show up again… this way I don’t accidently reactivate them!

:slight_smile: