Kanji Input for Readings

Hello, I have started to make a custom deck, and while I think for now I probably won’t include English > Japanese layouts, I would like to know how to use kanji input for the readings for when I do decide to do that.

I do a lot of my reviews on my phone, and I like to use a handwriting keyboard app I installed on it that allows me to draw out kanji, but when I set a card to include English > Japanese, it only accepts kana readings. For example, if the front of the card read “teacher” then I would have to type out either せんせい or sensei. I would not be able to input 先生. I noticed this with the Genki deck I’m using too, but I figured that was just the deck creator’s preference.

Is there a solution to this that I’ve missed? I messed around a little with editing the card, but I can’t seem to figure out a way to include kanji input. Even including a separate reading in kanji won’t work e.g. せんせい, 先生 in the readings line when editing the card. I searched the help category, and it looks like somebody else had that issue last year, but the answer involved coding, and sadly I have pretty much zero knowledge of that. Is there an alternate solution? If not, is there a way you could explain it or spell it out for me so that I can figure it out? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey!

On the edit layouts page you can make a copy (duplicate button) of the Default Kitsun layout “English -> Japanese” and replace the {{type-ja:Readings}}portion on both card sides with {{spellcheck:Vocabulary}} to achieve what you want. The spellcheck input disables the typo tolerance thats on by default for non-japanese-specific inputs. Vocabularycan also stay as Readings if you prefer to fill in the Kanji in the Readings field. Be sure to double check if the field name is the same as mentioned above (esp regarding capitalization), as I might be remembering the field name wrong :laughing:

After that you can just give it a new name (English -> Kanji?), save it and use it in your cards.

Hope that helps! If it doesn’t work please let me know

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much! That did the trick! :smile:

Also, I had another question too I forgot to ask earlier, though this one is less important. :sweat_smile: I know when I use Tsurukame (Wanikani app) on my phone, it will automatically switch default keyboards for me, depending on what I’m inputting. So if I’m typing out an English meaning, it’ll be on the English keyboard on my phone, and when I’m typing out a Japanese reading, it’ll default to my Japanese keyboard. I think it might track which keyboard I used last for that specific input, but I’m not sure since I don’t know anything about programming. I wasn’t sure if there was a way to have something similar to that on kitsun when on mobile. If not, it’s not a huge deal. I know kitsun wasn’t originally made for mobile anyway. I’m already really happy with the English > Japanese Kanji solution! :smile:

2 Likes

That would be cool to add yeah! I’m not sure how that works exactly when dealing with dynamic inputs (the user could be studying any language with a spellcheck input) but perhaps it could be possible with some sort of additional attribute :slight_smile:

I’ll keep it in mind for the upcoming apps as I think I have more control over the keyboard there :slight_smile: Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

Oh true yeah I suppose that’s really only useful for languages that use a separate keyboard like Japanese. It’s probably easier to use the spellcheck input if it allows for multiple languages.

No problem! And it’s no biggie if it doesn’t get implemented since it’s more a minor convenience. I can just click a button to switch keyboards anyway. The kanji input was the big thing for me. Thanks again for that! :smile:

1 Like