[Feature Idea] Do Reviews Right Now

This is not really a feature request, more a suggestion to discuss if it is a good idea or not :slight_smile:

Imagine you have 100 reviews at 11am, but you have only time right now (say 8am). So you click on the review button anyway and force all reviews in the next 12 hours or so to appear right now. Or you can choose a number of reviews you want to pull.

I don’t think it makes a huge difference if you wait 7 days or 6.8 days, so the SRS is not really affected. But maybe not all SRS levels should be pulled (like Apprentice 1–3?).

What do you think?

5 Likes

I partially agree. Sometimes, I have free time one or two hours before some items come, but then have a block of 8~10 hours where I can’t (well, shouldn’t) do reviews. I feel like the 10h delay is hurting more my retention (especially at the Fennec fox 1-2 level) than doing it a bit early…

On the other hand, 6.8 days, 7 days or 7.5 days is pretty much the same for me… But I guess it can be useful for other people.

Since there’s no pressure to level up fast with Kitsun, I don’t think people would abuse such a feature either.
So, yeah, the ability to pull things that would appear in a few hours would be nice. It could be possible to limit that feature to not shave off more than say 50% of the time of an item (so you can’t hurry a level 1 item more than 2h, a level 2 item more than 4h and a level 3 item more than 11.5h).

3 Likes

I think this could work very well by having a limit of how much earlier we could antecipate reviews. A system like Time passed/Total waiting timex100= at least x %.

SRS is very useful, but there are things we cannot control. We should make it more practical and not try to nitpick everything. I might have seen some words today through text that I’ll have reviews on tomorrow. Who cares, right? Exposure :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

You could set all SRS levels to 1 hour intervals already :slight_smile:

Kitsun tries a bit less to stop people from punching themselves in the face, but there were also people on the WK forums that wanted to do reviews during a break/commute and couldn’t quite do it. WK definitely won’t change it, but from a learning perspective, why not?

[But if someone would use this feature repeatedly they would be doing it wrong anyway, adjusting one SRS level a bit would be the right action then.]

3 Likes

I like the idea, but I also think it might be very tempting for some people to have the option there though…

But as you said, anyone can set 1h intervals anyways so it doesn’t matter that much.

I’ll put it on the backlog list, thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

What happens if I change the intervals? Will the items already on SRS follow the old ones until reviewed or will their SRS intervals change right away? Just curious. Not sure if anyone thought about this xD

2 Likes

It doesnt recalculate items that already have a review date set. It only changes it for all next reviews.

2 Likes

Does it recalculate the review date as well if you demote an item? Or hibernate/reactivate it?

Awakening a hibernated card will recalculate, I’m not 100% sure anymore about the demotion, but I think it does as well.

1 Like

I’m not sure a feature like this is necessary. As an alternative, you could use the scatter functionality. Then you’ll have reviews showing up all the time anyway, so you can just do what’s available when you have time. The case you’re describing could still happen (specifically with newly learned items), but it should be much less common.

1 Like

You should create a post where you explain your plan for the following weeks on Kitsun or so. I think that by knowing what’s coming next, people will be more understandable of your work.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback, with the customization in Kitsun the problem is much smaller than I initially thought. I hope @Neicudi is back soon, I got a few new ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

He’s coming back tomorrow, so the next update will be this Sunday?.. :thinking::man_shrugging:

1 Like

Got back yday evening, straight into my dayjob today. But this weekend I’ll be able to work on Kitsun again so hit me with your suggestions :grin:

4 Likes