[Discussion & Feedback] Genki Complete Vocabulary

As an iPhone user, I can confirm I’m having the same issues on the same cards as Toffeefox, as I have also just recently started the deck. I have tried multiple browsers on my phone, so I agree that it’s probably an iPhone iOS bug, and not a browser one.

I do have a PC (and the audio works there) but since I prefer using my phone to practice Japanese, I am also looking forward to seeing a solution for this. No rush though! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming!

It’s really high on my priority list to solve, but I’ve been a bit pre-occupied with getting the new Kitsun team members up and running, the Lifetime sale and the new update that will go live tonight. You can definitely expect a fix for this issue soon though! :smiley:

4 Likes

Don’t worry, I know you’ve been busy! That lifetime sale was a good idea btw. It’s what tipped the scales for me on whether I would join now or wait another year. I’ve just been doing my reviews on the PC for now, so my progress hasn’t really suffered from this at least. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alright! I have both good and bad news:

The good news
I’ve added a serverless function in between the CDN and Filehost of Kitsun. This function adds a special header which allows iOS/Apple devices to play .wav files. The いいえ card for example should now work on apple devices.

The bad news
All the other listed cards actually use .ogg audio files, which are not supported at all by iOS(/MacOS?).

The solution
So .wav files should play alright now, and luckily they made up the bulk of the audio files that refused to play. I checked how many .ogg files there are in the Genki deck, and it seems to be only the following 6 cards:

• あの
  • いま
  • えいご
  • かいわ
  • あたらしいともだち
  • だいいっか

@hinekidori perhaps you could replace these with another format if possible?

3 Likes

Fantastic news. Thank you for your efforts, and for getting things fixed in a timely manner. :smiley:

1 Like

@ToffeeFox I have converted the ogg files. Feel free to let me know in feedback if any other sound issues come up. I will make sure to convert them.

Thank you for helping us troubleshoot this issue! :grin:

6 Likes

Just noticed today these audio files are now fixed. Thank you Neicudi & hinekidori!!

3 Likes

Hey thy great suppliers of vocab.

Im wondering if It’s possible to skip lessons as I’m already on chapter 14 In my Genki Workbook and I don’t really feel like plowing through a bunch of chapters I already feel confident with. If so how do I do that?

@1118

You can bulk hibernate in Card Management. Use advanced search and search in tags for the lesson you would like to hibernate, select all, hibernate :+1:

Hopefully that makes sense. If not, let me know and I will put together a walkthrough when I get home :grin:

1 Like

I’ll give it a try haha, yeah i just manage to hibernate all cards hehe…

1 Like

@1118

I put a quick video walkthrough together. Let me know if you have any questions.

[Hibernating Cards in Bulk]

3 Likes

Have just done the lesson for the word いらっしゃる

Just wondering what answers are acceptable for the meaning of this word. I’ve tried ‘to go, to come, to be’ and it’s not accepted, but ‘honorific expression for いく’ was. Just trying to make this easier on myself, I’d rather not have to type in an answer mixed with hiragana…

Hey! Kitsun works in the way that everything with a comma is split for possible answers. So entering just one of the “to go, to come, to be” answers should work:

Just in case you need it in the future, you can also add your personal answers (synonyms) to a card by clicking the pencil icon that floats around on the backside of a card (top left in the screenshot above). That way you can add your own answers for easier answering (or add answers in your own language if it’s something other than English :smiley: )

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Looks like the content got jumbled. I have rearranged the material on the card to hopefully work better.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips!

How are folks studying with the Genki 3rd edition? I’d ideally like to use a pre-built deck that matches the vocab lists exactly from chapter to chapter, so I’m hesitant to get started with this deck since it’s based on editions 1/2. I saw there was some discussion about this above, but given that was a couple of years ago, I was curious whether people have settled on other solutions in the interim (e.g. importing an Anki deck instead, just ignoring the changes between editions, manually adjusting the deck/tags, etc).

Hi, sorry this is going to be a dumb question but I have not been able to find the solution on iOS. I am new and want to remove the kanji to English cards in quiz mode, how can I do this?

Amazing deck, absolutely hats off to you.

@Raccoontui
For some reason, the apps don’t have layout filtering yet in the deck settings…but if you go through kitsun.io, I believe you just have to turn off ‘recall’ for this deck.

Are the differences between the 3rd and 2nd edition small enough to do this deck when you have the 3rd edition? I’d make my own deck but I have no idea where to start :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@KennethDK According to some people and this pdf vocab seems to be mostly the same, with some “older” words being removed and “newer” being added.

I would say this deck is still great, you can hibernate the words that are not in Genki anymore if you want to (even though they are still fine imo), and maybe grab a 10k deck to add the words that are new, and add them to manual lesson queue if you want to. I would assume that those new words are on 10k xD

If you decide to use 10k, know that it has sentence cards (which I love tbh), so if you manually select words you might want to select one from Vocab and one from Sentence layout:
I usually have two tabs open and copy paste the words, works great xD

If you don’t want 10k, you can create cards from dictionary on Kitsun here, and have like an exposure deck or something like that /o/

4 Likes