Why do you like Kitsun? 🦊

Kitsun presents itself as a high-quality and user-friendly tool for people to learn any subject, while being more focused on language learning and Japanese.

However, there’s always something that makes us give it a try and subscribe. To me, what made me take the jump and use Kitsun over other similar tools was the fact that it looks more intuitive and that it’s a platform that’s constantly improving. I feel like everything else got stuck in time, as if they have reached their maximum potential.

What about you guys? What made you take the jump? :running_man::running_woman:

5 Likes

I was trying Anki on-and-off from time to time, but never got very far. There is some value to having a polished and fast interface and stuff like the feedback mechanism for the decks. I also like the constant improvement (although doing it alone seems like an inhuman effort :wink:).

I wish I had more time to do something like a Keisei deck …

4 Likes

The 10K vocab deck!

I had looked at Kitsun before, and even tried to make cards and decks myself, but I need something simple and ready to use… and the 10K deck is perfect! Perhaps one day, if I ever finish the 10K deck, or if I ever feel a pressing need to, I’ll look into making my own cards/decks, but right now - I couldn’t be happier!

3 Likes

Kitsun is a tool, that I always wanted to make myself, but never had the time. I always was very unhappy with all other language learning tools/sites except Wanikani. It’s perfect (but limited to Kanji).
For me, SRS is the most efficient way to learn. So it was obvious to go with Anki. But…puh…that was hard. That user interface, I couldn’t take it. Also, Anki has no option to type. I prefer typing the foreign word instead of clicking on “know” or “don’t know”.

I’m very happy that I found kitsun in the Wanikani forums. I’m learning Indonesian and it is really hard to find good material or wordlists for advanced levels. The web is full of 101 Indonesian courses. So I was struggling to make progress. But now everything will change. :slight_smile:

Thanks for creating kitsun. May this be your first step to world dominance. You earned it. :smiley:

5 Likes

I like Kitsun better because it has a friendly community like Wanikani and I have tried ANKI and I just do not like it. I prefer me myself putting the answer rather than actually pressing enter and pick either 1,2 or 3 on the numpad.
i always find actually utilizing that learned skill and apply to real world to be the most effective and honestly that method just works every time for me and I have used anki for 5 times and it just doesn’t work out for me no matter what. The settings are kinda way over complicated and I just prefer to input the kana and what i like about Kitsun is that it has jisho.org implementation and just how seamless it is to create an SRS card with words you unknowingly encounter.
The UI and experience is good too with many premade cards you can choose.
I think that the settings Ui can be improved with the options being more spreadout throughout the screen rather than having it all on the leftside and in the community centre the thumbnail in my opinion takes too much space. The texts should also be on the top of each decks rather than on the thumbnail.

Nevertheless the overall UI is more up-to-date and I honestly prefer to it to Torii-SRS.
Thank you for reading my thread.

4 Likes

This is only my second day experimenting with Kitsun, but coming from Anki and not being overly tech-savvy myself, two things have stood out to me so far:

1. Being able to search pre-made community decks for words, and then pull them to the front of the learning queue in just a few clicks; and
  2. If the word you’re looking for isn’t there, to have another tab open with the dictionary feature, search the dictionary, and then to generate a new card in mere moments.

The latter may be available on other SRS services, but as far as I’m concerned it’s revolutionary. Thank you.

3 Likes

Woah. Me thinks that fox has had too many jalapeños.

Serious note:

1. It’s not Anki (can’t stress this enough)
  2. It has a good UI.
  3. There is high quality content available (looking at you 10k)
  4. The dev is very approachable.
  5. The community is not uppity.
  6. The price is good value for money.
  7. There is a lifetime option.
  8. Development is active.
  9. Features that matter to me are either implemented or in the pipeline.
  10. Foxes with fire shooting out of their butts.
4 Likes

Basically, I tried anki multiple times but I found the whole thing kind of clunky and annoying. Kitsun has a lot more features that I like (having a text field and clear “right or wrong” as opposed to “how well do you think you know this” is the big one), so I find it worth the price.

4 Likes

Trial runs out today, so I’ve officially converted after what I’ve seen (it turns out trials and demos do encourage sales). The biggest draw for me is the known words system with dev transitioning to full time as a close second.

The value proposition is a little weird in my case, I’m basically relearning Japanese from scratch so initially it’s like paying for access to community decks and anki with a better UI which is questionable… but I know that having everything integrated in one platform (eg. reader + decks/known words) will be worth way more than subscription price in half a year give or take. I’ve seen some of the suggestions and the ptsd inducing roadmap, so I’m mostly excited to see how the platform changes over the next year.

Also, I realized you can upload a gif as the front of a card so I’m totally debating about making a deck for a fighting game along the lines of show gif -> input/move name, properties, frame data, ect.

7 Likes

OMG I love this idea! :laughing: Maybe I could use it to finally learn how to play one lol

2 Likes

oh my gosh please do this so I don’t have to pretend I actually know what I’m doing with Eddy Gordo when I’m really just button smashing :laughing:

eddy-gordo-tekken3-dance

4 Likes

That “questionable” reason was my main reason :joy:

That is an awesome gif :joy:.

3 Likes

Awesome, welcome to the club! :smiley:

That’d be awesome, I love (2D) fighting games so I’d definitely use the deck :smiley:

I vote for this as the deck cover image :joy:

2 Likes