こんにちwhat's up

Hi! I’m Tommy, originally from the UK but working in Japan as an ALT (no prizes if you predicted that).

I’m a fan of various Japanese-related things, most notably music. I love idols (primarily Johnny’s… sorry for my crimes) and enka, because that’s a winning combination that absolutely makes sense. Also like video games, Famichiki, and limited edition sakura flavoured goods. All the essentials.

My journey with learning Japanese has been wonky, so to sum it up:

• started over a decade ago
  • quit in 2012 due to Life Stuff™
  • started up again in 2018, and by started up again I mean basically started from scratch
  • moved to Japan in 2019
  • thought “Ah, yes! Immersion! This will do all the work for me!”
  • learnt that particular lesson the hard way
  • decided to take things seriously and like… actually study

I use Bunpro and Wanikani a lot, and I had tried a few times to get into Anki because I knew personalised flashcards would absolutely do me wonders, but. I am what you might kindly describe as “technologically illiterate”, and trying to make cards that not only had the information I needed but also looked good was just… not happening. I kept starting and stopping with it, because it just wasn’t efficient. I whinged about it a little on Bunpro and got a couple of suggestions for Kitsun, so I decided to come check it out.

Let’s just say, the fact I’m bothering to introduce myself around here means I’m going to be joining once the next few days of my free trial are up. I’m already in a routine, and it’s been so quick and easy to make cards and slowly compile my own deck, alongside puttering on with a couple of community ones.

Really looking forward to continuing on here, and thanks for having me!

8 Likes

Welcome to Kitsun! Hope you enjoy your stay here :smile:

I think that a lot of learning journeys are like that (mine as well), in the end what matters is to keep on trying ^^

2 Likes

Don’t worry, you’re not alone :stuck_out_tongue: The fact that Kitsun exists is precisely because a lot of us were struggling with getting used to Anki. I struggled for 1 year to get into it, and just couldn’t.

Welcome to Kitsun :grin: I’m glad to see you participating here on the forums, and I hope you enjoy your stay here!

1 Like