Way to export cards?

Hi,

Really hope this won’t come off as a gripe - I’ve used Kitsun a lot over the past year and I think it’s a great service - but $65 p.a. is a significantly higher price point than I’d anticipated during the trial, and considering my limited use of the more advanced features I think it’s going to make more sense for me to revert back to what I was using before.

Ideally I’d like to take my old decks with me, but couldn’t find an export button - is this locked behind the member wall, or is it just something that doesn’t exist for some technical reason? Not going to rant and rave about it if that’s the case, but if I can save myself some time recreating 1000+ cards then obviously I would prefer to take that route.

Appreciate any help you can give me, and best of luck for Kitsun in the future - I’ll keep my eye out for a sale!

1 Like

Hiya!

The export functionality is currently disabled as the redesign of the website happened and I wasn’t sure where to put it. I’d like to dedicate a full page to the functionality in the future.

If needed I can manually run an export for you for now, but it has the same limitations as before:

• The cards need to be yours (no community deck exporting)
  • I have no way of exporting your progress as the export file is a CSV, and not something like an anki deck.

On a side note: I’m not sure whether I want to exclude cards generated through the dictionary feature, as that is quite a core feature of Kitsun and I can imagine people abusing it like below:

start trial -> generate cards -> export -> trial end -> repeat with a new trial acc.

Sad to see you go, but no hard feelings of course, it’s logical that you want to get your data :slight_smile:

1 Like

You might want to have it timing-based instead. If someone paid for a year and made cards throughout the year with the dictionary feature, it seems unfair to not let them export it. But of course it’s reasonable for you to not want them to mass produce new cards to export at the last second before their membership expires.

3 Likes

I agree completely with your line of thinking :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there,

Yes, if I could possibly request a manual export of my two populated non-community decks (one is E->J, one is J->E) and I’ll see if there’s any reasonable hope of re-purposing them, taking into account my extreme lack of technical skill. Thanks again for your understanding!

1 Like

I’ve send you a pm :slight_smile:

@Neicudi Could I ask a favour of you?

I created a deck a while back and I lost my original CSV file I wonder if you could run an export for me?

https://kitsun.io/deck/5bf0cb4c8286573353f1fa06/

Thanks

1 Like

I’ll send you a pm

I’m less concerned about exporting than I am backing up my decks, so they’re not accidentally deleted. Is there any way of doing this? (Apart from making them public, which I suppose might work.)

While I’m asking question: maybe I should put this in a separate post, but: is there an existing template for conjugations and forms? With one line per variant: so, a vertical list. (I can’t even figure out how to do paragraph breaks, which I expect is one easy way to go about this.)

1 Like

It takes a bit of effort to delete a deck, so even if you mis-click the delete button, you will get a confirmation message like below. You can move decks (in card manager) to others decks but I don’t think it’s necessary and just takes server space.

This verb deck is pretty extensive. BunPro handles this pretty well too as it specializes in grammar as an SRS format and handles most forms w/ context, adjective as well. This site is also good for practice just to test your verb conjugations: http://www.japaneseverbconjugator.com/

1 Like

Ah, thank you. That verb deck looks good — and I take it I can just copy the template, if I want to input my own?

As for backup; I suppose I just have to depend upon the server itself to be backed up. It would still feel safer if I could download the deck; I could lose a lot of work if I accidentally deleted. I in fact did lose a ton of work by trying to change the template in one deck, and accidentally choosing a new template that didn’t have categories with the same precise names. The stuff in my original categories (“native”, etc.) simply evaporated.

2 Likes

Templates/layouts from Community Decks can not be used for your own cards (unless they get shared by the creator in the Community templates & layouts section).

It’s fairly easy to make a conjugation layout for a singular conjugation if you have some html/css experience. I assume you’d want to be questioned with a card that has a input? (so every conjugation has their own layout, aka their own “sibling card” during reviews).

If you don’t want progress to be shared on all conjugations, you could make it even simpler and use the current default layouts English -> Reading and just fill in:

English: 行く - Polite form
Reading: いきます

Then for another conjugation, you’d put in the same info but with a different form. Using custom layouts/templates for this might make it easier to manage though.

I understand the need for backups of your decks/cards for sure. Kitsun has a daily backup with backups ~1.5months prior to the latest backup available.

I’ll put a simple export feature back on the todo-list as I don’t think the old one is still usable (and was mostly aimed at export -> reimport functionality, so it contained information that’s not needed anymore imo. An advanced csv import does the same nowadays. )

I’m sorry you lost data while changing templates, you should’ve been able to choose which field maps to which new field (e.g. native -> english). Did that not show up for you?

2 Likes

It didn’t, but I may have been doing it all wrong. I hadn’t really tried setting things up on my own yet.

Sorry to reopen this thread but is the export tool back yet? :slight_smile: Just wanted to export my deck as csv so I can play around with the indexing before I change it in the actual deck.

1 Like

Hey, no the export feature is not back yet.

However, you can just send me a pm stating which (personal) deck it is and I’ll run a manual export for you asap :smiley:

Sent! I’m so sorry you have to do this personally/manually per individual requests but I really appreciate that you were open to doing so. Thank you for the assistance! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Done!
Don’t worry about it, I can always create exports for personal decks when needed. Until the export feature returns I don’t mind doing so! :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi! I just started a trial period but considering buying a membership. I like the assurance of being able to export personal decks but it seems this is just a verbal promise which is not backed up by the terms and conditions:

12.3. Devloop will under no circumstances be obliged to make the source codes of the website, decks or any other linked content available to the User.

Also, it is not clear if once I create a personal deck, if I retain any intellectual property rights over it or not…

12.1.All intellectual and / or industrial property rights to all Digital Services supplied and / or developed pursuant to agreement and / or legal action are vested exclusively in Devloop. The User obtains only the user rights and powers that are explicitly granted in these General Terms and Conditions. The User does not acquire the right and the User is forbidden to copy, reproduce, translate, modify or reconstruct the delivered goods.

I had a great experience using Wanikani in the last 4 years and have been yearning for the possibility of using a SRS service in which I can create my one cards but for me it is important that deck cards that I create without using any site built-in content (site dictionary, site images, etc…) should remain my intellectual property.

I’m a newbie who does not know how Kitsun really works in practice or the culture of its community. Thus, my apologies in advance if my tone sounds rude but I would be grateful to any clarifications regarding my questions regarding the user’s IP regarding independently produced content.

2 Likes

Hi @sergio0p! Welcome to Kitsun!

To be completely honest, the terms that you are quoting are temporary “catch-all” kinda placeholders to keep me from being held accountable in case of copyright issues and to protect Kitsun in general.

Exports have been here in the past and will definitely be here in the future as well. I see no reason at all not to allow personal exports, especially when you consider that anyone with technical knowledge can make their own exports easily. For now you will have to take my word on this, but I have a pretty good track record over the past three years regarding implementing requested features :smile:

I am not out to take users content as my own or as Kitsun/Devloop’s. Legally speaking, I am not sure how the rights work when you are using a tool/platform to create and utilize your cards. I mean that in the way that I don’t want to be held liable for copyright/IP issues with user generated content.

So yeah, it is not my intention to take anyone’s content as my own or as Kitsun’s, but I’m not 100% sure if the legal terms currently make that clear or not. I’ll have to check with a lawyer (or whoever is in charge of that kind of stuff) and get something custom made for Kitsun’s usecase.

Hope that puts you at ease a little bit!

3 Likes

Can easily confirm two things:

1. His word has always proved to be good.
  2. Has a very good track record of implementing requested features.

I think one of the reasons platforms claim some ownership over data is to make sure that they can modify it in response to copyright or quality issues rather than make the content unavailable to all consumers of the data. Another reason may be that consumers would be more weary to “steal” data if it belongs to a company a opposed to an individual.

Also worth noting that it is reasonable for IP to be treated differently if part of a published community deck as opposed to a personal deck.

4 Likes