Unlocking cards based on WaniKani level

Hey there! I’m very new to this community so sorry if this has been asked before, I think have an idea but just wanted to make sure I’m not going about it in an inefficient way.

So, I’ve got the ‘10k - Kitsun Optimized’ deck and I’ve currently hibernated all cards that have the ‘WK’ tag because I’ll be studying these in WaniKani and don’t want to duplicate work. The next thing I want to do is only unlock cards when I’m able to read them - vocab that’s either kana-only or containing kanji that I’ve studied. This is my proposed solution:

1. Hibernate all cards that have the level tags corresponding to my WaniKani level and above. This includes ‘L61’ which I believe are words that contain kanji that aren’t even included in WaniKani, is that right?
  2. Whenever I level up, I can awaken the cards with the tag corresponding to my previous level.
  3. These newly awakened cards will come up in my lessons as ordered by their index. So, for example, if I was at the 1000th card and I awakened a card at index 500, this would be the first card I encounter in my next lesson.

Are my assumptions correct? And is this the best way of going about it? As far as I can tell, there isn’t a way to configure a connection to WaniKani’s API to make the hibernating / awakening automatic.

4 Likes

Welcome!

I think that for now your method would be the easiest yeah and your assumption about the lesson order is also correct as that deck has sorting based on index :slight_smile:

I’m currently laying the foundation (by reworking the backend regarding how hibernation/filtering works) for a “known words system” that can automatically hibernate cards for you. Being able to import wordlists and using the WK API as a reference for known words will probably follow relatively soon after the known words feature is implemented :smiley:

Let me know if you have any more questions or feedback. I’ll gladly try to help you :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks for your help! I shall do what I described in the initial post then. :blush:

2 Likes

I sincerely apologize for necro-ing this thread, but I have a question about this specific thing, and I thought it would be better than making a whole new thread.

I want to do what tnetennba3 is doing, but I don’t understand how to exclude a tag from filter results when managing cards.

Say I’m Lv10 on Wanikani, and I’ve hibernated all the cards in that deck with the WK tag and everything from L10 to L61.

I reach Lv11, and need to wake up the L10 cards.

I filter for L10, but this also brings up the WK cards tagged L10.

Do I need to wake up all of those and then rehibernate the WK ones? Or is there a way I can filter for L10 and exclude the WK cards?

2 Likes

I’m afraid I don’t know the exact answer for this as I don’t know exactly how the deck is set up, but perhaps @jprspereira or @hinekidori could help you with this.

2 Likes

Yes. Wake all L11 cards and then hibernate all WK cards.

3 Likes