Template with Kana on Hovering

Got back to Kitsun after being totally overwhelmed last time :sweat_smile:

What I want

The default Kitsun template, but with Kana showing on hovering.
I will import vocabs using the Dictionary function and large populated CVS files.

After 5 days working on nothing but this (pls help me, Iā€™m going crazy :sweat_smile:), this is the only thing I could achieve so far:

But I want the Kana to only show on these conditions:

• If Reading != Vocabulary
  • When I hover with the mouse over it

My questions

1. Has someone created such a template? (That would make it very easyā€¦ Couldnā€™t find anything)
  2. How to solve the hovering under my above conditions?

My problems

• Iā€™m dumb when it comes to HTML/CSS. I have absolutely no clue what Iā€™m doing.
  • I could use the Genki template, which has Furigana on hovering. However, it requires the vocabs that use this template to be of a very specific format, namely, you need to fill in entries for Kana? and other fields. That means I cannot simply import the CSV files or use the Dictionary function on Kitsun. Precisly, for every imported word, I need to bring it in a form ę•£[恔]悋, but this will take me ages.
  • I am studying how the Genki template solves the hovering, but I have no clue of all these things:
    {{^Kana?}}, {{#Kana?}} etc. I didnā€™t find any documentation on Kitsun mentioning what this means.

Ahhh should have complained about my dumbness earlier.
Got it working :slight_smile:

ezgif-4-b2258d2d5b

1 Like

Did you end up taking:

<p>{{Vocabulary}}</p> ā†’ <p class="furi">{{furigana:Vocabulary}}</p>? That was what I was going to suggest but looks like you are all set! :kithappy:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! I really lost my patience yesterday, but luckily I could make it by a miracle :sweat_smile:

I tried that one, but it didnā€™t work. After going through multiple forum posts, I believe it doesnā€™t work because the Vocabulary entry must come in the format 配達[ćÆ恄恟恤]恙悋. But words from Jisho or Vocab lists from Koohi donā€™t come in this format. If Kitsun would have a guide on all the secret termsā€¦ to figure that out took me a while.

I didnā€™t want to do mass-edits of 500+ entries (Kitsun still has no API, sadlyā€¦ Is Kitsun still in active development?). Thatā€™s why I was opting for to put a new <p> element on top of it, and only show it when I hover over the vocab. I had some (very minor) experience on this when I rewrote the Jitai userscript, so I thought I should be well suited to make this work, but wellā€¦ HTML/CSS is simply something that Iā€™ll never understand, I guess.

From the Jitai userscript, I knew Iā€™d only have to place somewhere a

.kana{visibility:hidden;}
.kana:hover{visibility:visible;}

But that didnā€™t work for some reason. In the end, it was just an !important that was missing. Some comment on StackOverflow I found was mentioning it. This might sound totally dumb to everybody else, but to figure this out took me ages since I never learned HTML/CSS, which is a complete trial+error for me (Iā€™m usually a C++/Python developer). Iā€™d wish there would be an easier tool than writing HTML/CSS :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My understanding is Kitsun will have dictionary revamp to get off the Jisho API calls and keep it local. That will open up all sorts of features akin to what is on the MaruMori roadmap like mining extensions and perhaps an API as wellā€¦hopefully. I imagine MM will get priority first given all the development as of late but itā€™s exciting nonetheless.

1 Like

Yeah, I had the impression that Kitsun feels like 95% done for the developers :sweat_smile:

Well, I got Kitsun because I like having no hassle and doing reviews online, so it syncs with my phone. And itā€™s good at that. Though, things I would still like to see to make it an everyday perfect tool for me:

• An API. In the best case, I can mass edit lists that are already on Kitsun with a Python program. For example: looping over all items in a queue, fetching example sentences from Takoboto, and adding them to the queue. And many more things. It would make card creation so much easierā€¦
  • Marumori seems to get official Vocab lists for a few native materials, that I hope will also get added to Kitsunā€¦ please!
  • Some things still feel like ā€œbetaā€, so some polishing might be nice :slight_smile:
    • Dictionary card creation should add example sentences too!
    • An ā€œall exceptā€-filter in the deck management.
    • ā€¦
2 Likes

Only exception ATM I know is the Reader tool that fetches the sentence included in the word generation and adds it to the card.

2 Likes

Sorry, we do have old documentation over at https://kitsun.io/help , but itā€™s definitely not up to date and has been removed from the public view for a reason :sweat_smile: (Styling is also completely off there).

If you have any questions regarding fields/functionality, feel free to ask me though. Either here or on Discord (I saw that you joined Kitsunā€™s Discord :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: )

I feel like Kitsun is definitely very mature as a product. To me it does what it needs to do, and does so well. There are definitely still pain points Iā€™d like to solve (like awkward creation flows) and features Iā€™d love to implement sooner or later, but the main core is there and seems to be working well for most people.

I actually do kinda have plans to do a full redesign/rework of Kitsun at some point. Due to a few reasons:

• Kitsunā€™s codebase is Vue 2 and NodeJS based, Iā€™d like to rewrite it in a newer stack, like the one Iā€™m currently using for MM (SvelteKit + Golang).
  • The above mentioned painpoints. Working on both Kitsun and MM has given me quite some insight on what the architecture should look like, and as Kitsun was my first project, the architecture there isnā€™t always what Iā€™d like it to be. Changing this should allow for more freedom regarding certain features (like mass editing cards).
  • Design wise I feel like a lot of things are off and Iā€™d do completely different this time around. Or at least make a lot of improvements to make it feel nicer.

Most of my time has been spent on MM lately as itā€™s a new project with a pretty strict roadmap in terms of deadlines, but as we get into the next phase, itā€™s likely that our dev time will start to balance between both projects a bit and I can give Kitsun some proper love again :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Iā€™d love to add mass editing and mass card generation features for example :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Would you kindly share you code for this template I canā€™t make a heads or tails of how this works.