Synonyms for cards in community decks are volatile

I noticed that I can add synonyms to community card decks during reviews just fine. But the synonym is only valid for that one review session. When the item comes back for review later, the synonym is gone.

I’m not sure if it’s a legit bug or just counter-intuitive behavior - but it’s bad UX anyway…

Hiya!

The synonym should always work if it’s the same sibling… What I mean by that is that a card can consist of multiple siblings: E.g: a Card can have both JP -> Eng and Eng -> JP layouts, which results in two siblings being shown during reviews.

Unless something went wrong with the call, the synonym should definitely work :open_mouth:

Actually, I did just fix something which might be your issue:

When you add a synonym and the item comes back in this SAME review session, the synonym would not be accepted yet. The fix for this will be live with tonight’s update (in about 1 hour).

Please let me know which issue it is? If it’s the first one (multiple sessions) then it’s definitely some kind of bug that needs to be fixed asap.

In case it’s the latter, it should be fixed now :slight_smile:

I’ll have to test it later today, but I know what I did was type the English answer, which was marked wrong, then added the synonym and used ignore answer. After that the synonym was accepted. In a later review (different day iirc), it wasn’t accepted and when I used the edit button, there was no synonym configured for the card at all. Same card type too (asking for the English word). It was in the N5 vocab deck, in case that matters.

Will update once I get around to testing it again.

EDIT: Got a card today that I know I had added a synonym to before - and it was gone today (両親, English answer card).

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll take a look asap

Hi!

I’ve taken a look at the item in the database and noticed it has ‘parents’ as the synonym. I then manipulated the review time and tested it out in your reviews (don’t worry I didn’t do anything and I’ve reverted back the review time to the original review time). This is what I got:

Is it possible that you do some actions with the cards which fail to load synonyms? Like hibernating or something similar? (Although that also shouldn’t remove the synonyms, ever.)

What browser/OS do you use? Might be that some logic I’m using isn’t fully supported.

Does it happen for every card or only some?

I’m going to search through my code and check if I somehow override it anywhere.

I’d also like to know from other users whether they are experiencing the same issue?

I’ve re-added the synonym in the last session, but it’s interesting that it’s still there…

Didn’t check today yet - maybe some fix you made affected to storage of synonyms?

Nope, just re-adding the vanished synonyms.

At home usually Chrome on Win10. At work Firefox on Win7.

1 Like

I think I might have found something in the code. Is it possible that you’ve added synonyms for sibling cards? Meaning that you first added ‘parents’, then added a synonym to another sibling of the same card (perhaps a japanese synonym)?

Not consciously, but maybe by accident. I’ve seen the vanishing synonyms with multiple cards though, so I don’t think it’s very likely that I’ve made the same mistake with all of them.

It wouldn’t be a mistake on your part, but a mistake on my part. I can’t find anything else that might cause this problem…

I’ve confirmed the problem with @jprspereira just now. Gonna do some more digging.

Edit:

I can’t get the issue to reproduce… I’ve added synonyms and done reviews and stuff, but it doesn’t seem to be removing it anywhere. Nor can I find any code other than the call which saves usersynonyms to overwrite it.

There is a bug where editing a sibling card’s synonyms would overwrite the other sibling’s synonyms (so editing synonyms of jp -> eng would overwrite the synonyms of eng -> jp) and I’ve fixed that locally now (update incoming tonight).

But that doesn’t explain why there were no synonyms in total for the affected cards (as it would then save the sibling’s synonyms)…

Maybe one of your recent changes fixed this too? Today a synonym that I set yesterday still worked (unfortunately I forgot on which card…), so I think it’s looking good now.

1 Like

Hopefully it is fixed, let me know if it happens again with a newly set synonym :slight_smile: (as the old ones might be a leftover from when it was broken)

I guess it might not be fixed…

I’ll leave the synonym empty for now, just in case that somehow helps with tracking the problem down.

EDIT: Fun fact: Ignoring the “wrong” answer, then answering “parents” worked… go figure…

So the first time the synonym didnt work, but after ignoring the answer and doing it again, it does?

Exactly. Pretty weird…

It also wasn’t shown in the synonym/note dialog the first time, as seen on the screenshot (didn’t check the second time though).

Im guessing its there the second time though. Perhaps the issue is mostly at the front end.

Could be. Iirc, I’ve mainly (maybe even exclusively) seen this issue in Chrome…
I’m speculating here, but it might be that the problematic synonyms are those that I added in Chrome (as opposed to those I added in Firefox).

Whatever the problem is, it’s unfortunately still happening for me. I’ll keep my eyes open and see if I can spot any kind of pattern with this.

That’d be great! Sadly I can’t really check it well for a while (2.5 weeks) because I’m away from home. So if you can find some pattern, I might be able to hotfix it after finding the cause

Hi @Chikuhitsu did this happen to you lately? I’m back from my vacation and would like to solve the problem if it still occurs :slight_smile: