Subs2kitsun - no subtitles being displayed

Very excited about the new subs2kitsun beta feature, but I’m having trouble getting it to work. I load the video, foreign and native subtitles in with apparently no problem, and the video will play fine. But neither of the subtitle files (both srt, both checked in notepad++ to actually contain said subtitles) actually come up during playback. What am I doing wrong?

1 Like

Do you see the subtitles on the side next to the video?

If so, that would indicate a visual bug, if not it might mean that something went wrong while converting your subtitle files.

Could you open the console (F12 -> Console tab) reload the page and drop the files again? While doing that look for messages that pop up in the console.

Or if possible, could you send me your .srt files so I can check if they display for me?

Ok, so I’m getting the error ‘AbortError: The fetching process for the media resource was aborted by the user agent at the user’s request.’ in firefox. On Chrome, the subs load, and the english subs display with no problem, but the jp subs are showing nonsense characters (as if a language pack hadn’t been installed, although I’m fairly certain that they have).

srts available here if you want to take a look.

In the meantime I’ll try with another video and see how I get on.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try to take a look soon!

1 Like

Hi mate - just wondered if you’d had a chance to take a look at this yet?

1 Like

Sorry I haven’t been able to yet. I’m kinda stuck with doing the redesign first at the moment.

I have been able to look at the srt files though, and I believe that the gibberish is because of the file having the wrong encoding. It looks like it’s in UTF-8 encoding while it should be in JIS for this file. You can easily fix this by opening the file in notepad (if on windows) and saving the file with the correct encoding (in the save popup).

I’ll have to check why it doesn’t work in firefox, but I’m guessing it’s due to permissions or something similar…

Thanks! Will try that in future