Just wanted to share a sneakpeek of a feature I’ve been working on (and mentioned before):
Introducing Kitsun’s new Reading Tool
I wanted to create a cool new tool that would help people with reading articles, books, texts and/or sentences, while keeping it fully integrated with Kitsun.
So what I’m working on is a text parser that allows you to paste in any text and get a fully analyzed output of that text. I believe it’s best to just show the feature (still a work in progress!) so you get the idea:
Paste in any text (Here I’m using the prologue of Re:Zero Volume 1):
Which results in the following output:
And here is the actual tool at work:
Click any word to see the information about the word:
- English Definition
- Kanji information
- Conjugation information
- Handy information like Part of Speech, JLPT Level, WK Level.
- From the popup you can easily create new cards for your decks in Kitsun. Both for individual Kanji and Vocabulary! Just like how the dictionary lookup tool works
I’m currently working on implementing the following:
- Save and edit your personal texts
- Intregrate a bunch of premade texts such as Aozora books and news articles for you to start with
- Possibly add audio dictiation for above mentioned premade texts
- Some handy stuff like bookmarking where you stopped reading last time
- Further finetuning of result data (defintions/kanji etc)
- Performance finetuning (spoiler alert: It’s FAST!)
- Analyze the texts to give an overview of how difficult it is (based on JLPT Levels) and how many unique words/kanji it contains.
- Possibly detecting grammar, although this is extremely difficult to do well.
Please keep in mind that it’s still very much a work in progress, but the core is already working pretty well! I hope to release a first version of the tool very soon!
Eventually I also hope to expand this to other languages (starting with Korean or Chinese), but I’d definitely need the help of natives or advanced learners with that.