Quizzes on custom deck only testing meaning

This may be a simple question, but I tried searching on both Google and the forums here before asking, so … here goes!

I have a custom deck of Japanese vocabulary I’ve been building up which I’d like to quiz for both meaning and reading during reviews, but it only seems to test for readings. This is consistent between lessons and reviews.

What setting am I missing to fix this? Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Hey, welcome!

No worries, feel free to ask anything :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: We also have a discord server that you can join for faster support in case you have a discord account :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Your problem usually depends on your layouts. You mention it being a custom deck, does that mean you created the cards yourself or did you import it from somewhere else?

If you are using the default templates (say, cards generated with the dictionary or reader tools), you have to make sure that all cards use both the reading and the meaning layouts (see screenshot below):

If you wish to set the layouts of all cards in your deck at once, you can do so through the card management page actions (make sure to select all cards first with the checkbox at the top):

Hope that helps a bit!

1 Like

Thank you! That’s exactly what I was looking for.

And yes, these are my own cards added from scratch. I’m just using Kitsun to catalogue and review new words and phrases I encounter while reading/watching things.

I just have one other question now: Attempting to change all the cards’ layouts at once gives me a more limited list of options than just changing one at a time. Any idea why that might be? I’d like them all to have English->Japanese, Japanese->Reading and Japanese->Meaning, but the mass edit option only seems to allow me to choose Kana->Meaning, and two non-input options.

EDIT – Got it! The window just wasn’t displaying them all on my browser for some reason. If I arrowed up in the selection menu and hit Enter, I could still select them even if they weren’t visible. Problem solved!

1 Like

Glad it worked itself out! I’m guessing the dropdown was scrolled down by accident somehow :sweat_smile: