Problem typing more than one character into Korean input fields on ipadOS Safari

If I type more than one Korean character into any Korean-only input field, it removes the previous character and the input field only contains the new one.

Typing Korean into a non-restrictive input field doesn’t have this problem.

Example: The “Korean Vocab” deck I created with just the word 오늘 in it.

The problem happens on

• iPadOS 15.5 Safari
  • iOS 15.5 Safari
  • The Kitsun.io app on iOS 15.5.

On Windows 10 in Edge it doesn’t.

1 Like

Actually I can type some things like 어제 so it’s not that simple. But something is going wrong with how it deletes input that it doesn’t think is Korean for whatever reason.

1 Like

Hey!

It’s been a little while since I’ve implemented the Korean auto-conversion input. So I’m a little fuzzy on the exact details, but it should leave Korean characters alone if you are typing it directly rather than using the auto conversion that that input type was made for. I must say I haven’t tested that input with the app yet, so it could be that there is some mobile specific behavior causing the problem.

If possible, could you perhaps check if it works as expected using a browser on your phone? That could narrow it down further. If you can’t I’ll make sure to check it myself when I get to the bug task :slight_smile:

I’ll put it on the prio list to take a look at what’s going on, as soon as possible. Thanks for providing the details!

1 Like

It seems to work the same in the iPhone Safari browser as the app and both show the bug.

(the browser and app both seem to be identical for the following as well)

I’m a bit confused about the automatic conversion you mention. If i use the English keyboard on those Korean input fields, it seems to just type the “equivalent” Korean keyboard character. For example, pressing the “s” key types ㄴ because those are the same key positions on the two keyboards. It isn’t possible to type out Korean characters phonetically like with the Japanese version, like shi auto-converting to し. Typing “si” in korean does not produce 시.

If I’m stating the obvious and this is all intended, then that’s ok. I don’t know much about Korean typing and I was planning to use the Korean keyboard to type Korean.

1 Like

That’s correct! It’s supposed to work similar to an IME without having to install one. Meaning that the keys on your keyboard get mapped exactly to what it’d be on a Korean layout and combines 2-3 characters into another Korean character where needed. So there is quite a bit of logic in there to simulate an IME/physical Korean keyboard.

• A Korean auto-conversion input has been added. This input automatically converts your regular (English usually) input into Hangul, in the same way that an IME would (So it also combines characters into a single character like when typing ak and when you type another a after that).

Figured I’d use the corresponding update notes to illustrate what I mean. Hope that explains it a bit better :laughing:

Thanks for checking the browser!

That makes sense, I think the conversion is working as it should then.

If it helps, when the bug with typing happens and I backspace to delete, the “missing” character seems to reappear.

If I type 오늘 then I just end up with 늘, but if I delete the 늘 then the 오 reappears as if it was still stored in a buffer somewhere.

1 Like