New Android Mobile app feedback

It would be nice if the current view would refresh when reopening the app from the background after an extended period of time. Similarly, it would be nice if there was a way to refresh the data in a view.

Sometimes I’ll leave the app on the home or deck listing, but the information on available reviews and stuff won’t update until I go to a different screen.

1 Like

Agreed! It’s on my to-do list along with pull-to-refresh gestures :smiley:

2 Likes

@Neicudi Sorry to piggyback on this thread but hoping someone can help. I’m brand new to kitsun and am interested in doing something like this post talks about – searching the japanese 10k deck for words found during immersion and bringing them to the front of the lesson queue.

It looks like this is possible on the website via the deck’s Manage Cards view, but I couldn’t find any way to do this in the app. Is such a feature planned for the app, and if so, can you tell me any estimated timeline?

Also, is there anyway to do a sort of global search for new words? For example, (in my head at least) it would be awesome if I could search for a new word and see results from all of my existing decks as well as from jisho. If the word exists in any of my decks (like 10k), it would be great to quick “promote to front” from there. If the word isn’t in any of my decks, the jisho results would still be visible right there for me to create new cards from. This way I wouldn’t have to search multiple locations for new words.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey! Sorry for the delayed response, I’m currently on a small holiday break.

It definitely is! For larger decks this might be a little bit challenging however as it can be a lot of data to display/have in memory, but I think it should be alright :slight_smile:

I’m afraid that’s currently not possible. The problem lies in templates being completely dynamic and that they can contain not just a few values but also large amounts of text (e.g. many, many definitions or even large text excerpts from books), so indexing these fields properly is challenging. Without proper indexing it is also very difficult to efficiently search through cards. Kitsun currently has a workaround that shifts this searching/sorting/filtering to the client-side rather than the server-side. Making all decks searchable at once would then require all cards to be loaded on the server-side, which would probably crash the browser due to memory limitations.

Long story short: Sadly, currently not really possible, but perhaps it might be in the future as we expand Kitsun’s tech-stack with search-focused databases and such.

1 Like

Have you considered ES? :eyes:

1 Like

Oh you. :laughing:

On flip cards, on Android app KNOW is on the right and DON’T KNOW is on the left while on the website, KNOW is on the left and DON’T KNOW is on the first, that’s… disturbing (and I missed a few reviews because of this :sweat_smile: )

1 Like

I love using the app as I’m often reading books in bed and can look up a lot of vocab in it. However a problem arises when I try to add cards from there. It appears the default card layout setting for a deck is completely ignored. I also can’t find an option to select a layout for cards when adding from dictionary in the app. This means that I can’t start reviewing them without first going into manage cards on the website and fixing all the layouts. Which I prefer to do on my computer.

Am I missing something somewhere to make this all work? :sweat_smile: