Nesting folders

I’m pretty organization minded, and I’m one of those people who has a folder hierarchy for everything on my computer. I loved having the folder option when changing over my ugly, horrific quizlet flashcards over to kitsun.io, but I was disappointed to find out folders can’t nest. I know you can sort by “community” and “personal,” but all folders you make are labeled personal. I’d rather just have a community folder and a personal folder, and then further nest based on source content (for example, Genki I > Lesson 1, Lesson 2, etc; Genki II > Lesson 1, Lesson 2, etc; Duolingo > Lesson 1, Lesson 2, etc.)

It may sound convoluted, but it could be applied for many things; for example, what if you use kitsun.io for more than just one specific topic? It’d be nice to have a Japanese folder, then have separate folders for different sources, as well as, say, Economics or whatever topic you’re studying. I feel like nesting folders are a pretty core function to expect.

I’m very thankful for the site, however; it really says a lot that my one gripe is something as trivial as this. :smile:

1 Like

Heya, Kitsun previously had multilayered folders, but it turned out that getting the combined counts (lessons and reviews) was quite messy since it would have to check folder within folder within folder and so on.

However, that was a long time ago and things have changed a lot since then. Folders dont even show a combined count anymore! So because of that I’ll put it back on the list to take another look at ^^

Glad to hear that you enjoy using Kitsun! I’ll post here once I got an update on this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I can definitely see how that would be a problem. Thank you so much for the response! In the end, it’s not the end of the world. Maybe if nesting folders isn’t viable, an alternative could be some sort of custom tagging system that users can use to quickly sort through their different items? Similar to how the “community” “public” “personal” sort filters work. It would at least solve some of the same problem.

1 Like

@Neicudi, still considering this? Somehow I feel like Kitsun is slowly but steadily growing, and so are my decks :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So, I felt like implementing this this weekend, but I quickly got to know why I didn’t do it previously (skip to the bottom two paragraphs for the TL;DR):

Kitsun is based around numerous people having a personal settings document for every deck. In this document, the position of the deck is also stored (e.g. it’s nested inside folder X). This document is used for queries throughout the whole of Kitsun.

In order to start nesting folders, I would have to create a personal settings document for them as well, something they currently don’t have for multiple reasons. However, if I do so it might break quite some queries and they would need to be checked very well before deploying the update.

Basically what I’m trying to say is that it would be a very large change and I’d definitely need quite some time to make this happen in a way that it wouldn’t break Kitsun.

For now I’m putting it back on the non-priority list as something I will take a look at again later.

1 Like