Multiple Decks and Vocabulary Problems

I’m currently using 4 decks to study Japanese at the moment which are: 10k - Kitsun Optimized, Genki Complete Vocabulary, JLPT N5 Vocabulary - Kitsun and the WaniKani Reversed Deck. Since I’m learning 4 decks, it sometimes give the same word back. For example I get 一つ in both the WaniKani Reversed Deck and the JLPT N5 Vocabulary - Kitsun Deck. Is it possible to filter a deck for words I’m also learning in a different deck?

Second of all is with the WaniKani Reversed Deck, how do you deal with it asking for Woman or girl as it can be all of the following: 女、女の子、女の人、女子、少女.

Thanks

If helpful, you can use the WK deck filter where you can add words into your ‘known’ account via your WaniKani level. There is also the new ‘known words’ under tools if coming from other sources.

Usually before starting a new deck, I will filter out the ‘known’ words. In this case maybe do it periodically or just actively hibernate during lesson when you encounter a word that you don’t need to study (you can even set a hotkey via setting to hibernate cards)

For the girl words, personally I’d just add them all as possible synonyms and move on with my life rather than spinning around for the exact correct one. You can do this via the little blue button on the back of card in the upper left corner and then add whatever you like, including your own notes on a community deck.

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 9.57.41 AM

Thanks for the helpful response.

I’m having a little trouble figuring out how to use the WK deck filter. I followed the instructions on how to use it, but have no idea where to locate the select level tag. If possible, can you teach me how to use it?

Thanks

1 Like

Sure

1. Click manage cards in the deck

2. Click the advanced search button

1. Use ‘Search Tag’

2. Enter desire level you want to add to ‘known’. Not sure how many tags Kitsun can handle, usually keep it simple

Note, the level tags and value (kanji and vocab) are in the tag. You could filter out just vocab or kanji but I think most add both at same time (user choice)

1. Once filtered, you can select all the cards within that filter
  1. Then go to actions and ‘add to known words’

And that’s about it.

For the decks you are using:

1. You can go back to your deck and go to ‘manage cards’ for the deck you are working on and filter by ‘known’. Cards with have purple status under ‘known’

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 12.37.33 PM

1. Select all the cards just (just like step 5 above)

2. Hibernate your ‘known’ content

And that is it. It’s up to the user how they prefer to filter or how they want to Kitsun along with WK. If not clear, just let me know.

If you are using the WK reverse deck, I think it add as well for your vocab naturally as you do lessons as long as you progress at the same speed. However, this filter also adds Kanji and I have few Kanji decks posted either for writing or reading/mean that this works with work with.

3 Likes

I’m just a beginner and I am not sure if this is the right place for this, but I think I found 2 errors in the WaniKani deck, that I wanted to point out in case it helps improve the deck.

1. Card #2516 又/Again;And Also/また is categorized as a Level 2 card, however in WaniKani it is a Level 51 card.

2. Card #7668 大いに/Very;Much;Greatly;A Lot Of;Very Much/おおいに does not seem to be a vocab card in WankiKani at all. WaniKani does however has a Level 2: 中々/Very/なかなか , which also seems to be missing from Kistsun’s Level 2 cards.

I have both cards on hibernate for now, but I was hoping that it could be updated.

They put radical at level 2 but vocab on level 51 was only because some beginners were getting mixed up on the rare use of 又 used as kanji when usually kana only. Though I’d argue knowing また as ‘again’ is pretty fundamental, all they had to do is put a note in their entry on rare kanji usage (in fact do this for all their vocab), not put it at level 51, that makes no sense to me. And then the learner is using ‘stool’ instead of ‘again’ as a mnemonic hook for the entire program, again makes even less sense…so glad MM is fixing and revamping their approach on this.

They took out 大いに because it is ‘infrequent’ use according to them. I still have it in my review and according to native responses, it is still used quite often (I’d prefer to keep it since I’m using this deck as well). In fact, 大いに may be more frequently seen than 多いに in overall usage (though the nuances are different). Would prefer to keep in the deck for my own practice, maybe suggest to just revise the tag to ‘no level’ and put it at the end

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation, and thanks for making this deck. I was trying to be constructive, but everything you said makes sense to me. I just noticed the discrepancies and figured I should point them out. But I think I will just go ahead and learn them anyway like you said. Thank you.

1 Like

I am not the deck author but I do use it :blush: And I wasn’t necessarily against updating 又 to match, just didn’t agree with WK’s choice on changing it in the first place.

Edit: In case you are talking about the filter deck above @Tanuki, I am the deck author (post 4) , … the reverse deck I assume what you meant, otherwise 又 and 大いに should be to current version

1 Like