Mobile Apps Release!

To support a first party mobile app, you will probably need to enforce some standards for design or otherwise override CSS. I’m familiar with the limitations of web development, but having cards randomly not work on some devices is a non-starter for a paid application, even when those decks are community generated.

Users can create custom layouts with hundreds of nested divs if they want. I have no way of knowing which text or content is important to be displayed or can for example get squashed or removed to make space for other elements on the card.

If a custom community-made layout does not work on mobile, then the author can fix their custom layouts if you let them know. There’s tons of ways to create layouts using different css techniques and “fixing” one thing could lead to the others breaking.

I’m sorry that you experienced a broken custom layout on mobile, but I don’t agree with it being a non-starter for a paid application. I have no control over what users create with CSS and HTML. Aside from that, it is fixable by the creator. Fixing it programmatically is not a viable option due to the dynamic nature of css and html.

I do agree that it is not great that this happens, and if there is any way I could reliably fix it, I would. With that said, I will take another look to see if there is anything the app itself does that causes it not to scroll.

I’m guessing you are using Gboard? The iphone default had no issues scrolling when I try. I may suggest playing with your keyboard settings or trying another default, it could be just the keyboard behavior. Do you happen to have a scroll lock enabled?

I’m using the default keyboard on a Pixel 6 Pro. I believe that would be Gboard. When I’m on the Kitsun mobile site, scrolling works fine, so it seems to be specific to the app.

As for how to adjust the layout generically, can you resize the viewport when the keyboard is up and let chromium handle how to rearrange the elements? The issue seems to be related to the page maintaining the same aspect ratio with the keyboard up as when it is down.

1 Like

I have the Rog Phone 5, an even bigger phone, it’s not giving me an issue; But- It probably has to do with the massive resolution it has, just like some designs online glitch out while using the Mac’s Retina display.

This might make the problem easier to understand to whoever wants to fix this.

The author of the deck adjusted the CSS so it wouldn’t happen anymore.

1 Like

@Neicudi I started back up learning Japanese after a 2 year down period. Android app is nice!

Couple observations…

1. When I get a push notification that reviews are due and I open that notification it brings me to the “home” page where I see a review button and a number of reviews available. However, that button doesn’t take me to reviews, I have to click on the decks tab on the bottom, then open the deck with reviews, then click on reviews to start. Would be nice if I could start the reviews from the homepage somehow? If I’m only using 1 deck, maybe the button should be a 1-click to start. If using more than one deck, maybe when clicking the review button on the homepage opens a drop-down or popup of sorts to show which deck has reviews, and launch from there?

2. When inputting answers it’s nice that I can press the enter button to submit… But then the keyboard disappears and I can’t use the enter button to advance to the next word… I have to do the whole finger stretch to press the green (or red) button to advance. Can I let the keyboard stay open so that I can advance with the enter key?

Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry, completely forgot to reply to your message!

Welcome back, glad you enjoy the android app :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1. This is something that comes up every once in a while. We currently have no way to start a combined session, but having it list the decks with available reviews/lessons and selecting one to start might be possible!

2. I think the easiest way to do this is by toggling on lightning mode, so it skips the backside by default if the answer was correct. Unfortunately I can not leave the keyboard open as the input disappears (unlike the rest of the app, reviews and lessons render HTML rather than native components, meaning that browser restrictions apply to what we can do there) and it is browser/phone default to remove the keyboard if the input gets unfocused.

I’m hopeful to find a different solution for the latter issue in the future. I’l let you know if I figure something out!

1 Like

@Neicudi
I use the mobile app on Android daily and also have the “finger stretch to press the green button” problem. Since keeping the keyboard open isn’t possible, would it be a solution to put another “next” button to where the “undo” button currently is? And the “undo” button on top of the “actions” button?
I guess every phone layout is differnt, but for me, the location of the “keyboard enter” and the “undo” button are on the same location.

If you enable flip, you should be able to swipe left for ‘correct’ and will override the undo → correct so you don’t have to stretch for the green correct button everytime