Merging decks and tag searching

Hi, I just started using kitsun and am loving it so far. I never could get the hang of anki, but this is really intuitive and useful for building the decks I want, and I absolutely adore the tags. So useful!

I’m wondering, however, if it’s possible, or if it will be possible to merge multiple decks at some point? I’ve found that it gets kind of unwieldy when you’ve got more than a few hundred cards in a deck that you’re actively building. Trying to sort and add tags seems to end up with a lot of time wasted loading more cards and scrolling up and down to select and edit them. I’d prefer to be able to make smaller decks, then merge them together afterwards into one master deck.

Also, I saw somewhere that the advanced search had been changed from using ‘or’ to ‘and’. Would we be able to get ‘or’ added back in as an option in the future?

2 Likes

Hi! Great to hear you enjoy using Kitsun!

Hmm, I could add this functionality to the requests list, but I think it might be better to add more robust tagging tools first, as I believe that this might fix your problem as well (e.g. remembering tags used elsewhere in the deck)?

Just to be sure that we are on the same page, could you give me an example of a search you’d like to do with the “or” functionality?

Thank you for your feedback! Please let me know what you think :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply!

I think that more robust tagging tools would definitely help, and perhaps also the ability to search for untagged cards or even newly created cards, since tagging isn’t currently possible when making cards from the dictionary tool (which is fantastic, btw). That way I’d be able to filter out all the finished cards and only work with the new ones.

So for example, I’m lazy and don’t want to learn all the 1 and 2 frequency words in the book I’m reading unless it’s something I think will come up in my actual life. I’d like to be able to search for frequency 1 OR frequency 2, and have the results bring up a list of both so I can refer to it while I’m reading. Since the default search is ‘and’ and manually putting in ‘or’ doesn’t have an effect, it doesn’t give me any results, since no cards have both frequencies.

I’m imagining something like this:

Sorry if it seems really picky, and absolutely no worries if it’s not possible or too much work. Years of working in libraries has spoiled me for search abilities.

1 Like

I see! I will add tags to the dictionary card creation processes soon :slight_smile:

To do OR searches you can add | between the values you want to search for. E.g: Frequency 2|Frequency 3, let me know if that works like you think it should :smile:

Great, that would be wonderful! And | worked for OR searches, thanks for the help :grinning:

1 Like