Looking for advice on learning vocab in Kitsun

Hello everyone! I’m thinking about trying out Kitsun again to build up more vocabulary and I’m looking for suggestions. For now I’m considering adding words from the book I’m currently reading (魔法少女育成計画) that seem useful or common. Here are some questions:

1. Should I add words using a community deck if they are there (like 10k) and create my own deck for the rest? Or would it be better to just always use my own deck?
  2. What’s the simplest/best template and layout(s) for this? I just want to do Japanese --> Reading (when necessary) and Japanese --> English. No English --> Japanese.
  3. Anything specific I should know about the card generation tool that uses jisho? It seems like doing this on the default template and layouts result in a lot of blank space (since there are no sentences, etc.) which seems wasteful, but I’m not inclined to build my own (if that even works with the jisho integration).
  4. Any other general recommendations either for using Kitsun effectively or deciding what vocab items to learn?

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’d also be interested in finding a good way to do this. Currently I started my own deck populated with jisho imports for unknown words in the book I’m currently reading (Re: ゼロ). As per @jprspereira’s guide, I’ll look for the words in the 10k deck and if I find them I’ll move them to the front of the deck instead of creating new cards… But I’m not sure that’s as effective as it can be, so I’m open to advice(Φ ω Φ)

3 Likes

I personally add words to my own decks while reading by using the dictionary feature, with the ereader app I’m using it’s just selecting the word -> automatically look up in kitsun -> generate card with 1 click. That way it doesnt interrupt my reading too much. Since I know you prefer reading physical books, I’d imagine just having a Kitsun dictionary tab open and entering the words as you come accross them would result in the same thing.

I use the default flashcard buttons for vocabulary with kanji in it (so that you have JP -> Reading as well), for vocabulary without kanji I’ve set up a custom flashcard flow (set up once and it will remember it through cookies) so that it skips JP -> Reading.

So for non kanji vocab: Only JP -> English
Kanji vocab: JP -> English & JP -> Reading

I don’t really mind the blank space.I often fill it with some of my own data (e.g. copy paste the sentence).

Pretty sure I don’t need to tell you, but take it easy when tackling new lessons. SRS can easily overpower in the later stages. I still do 10 lessons a day rather than learning everything that I added from a single reading session right away.

4 Likes