Let's share our current deck lineups!

I’m curious as to other people’s lineups so here’s mine!

• The first three decks are imports I did of Lan’dorien’s name decks and two others are geography-based (Cities and Prefectures of Japan). This kind of knowledge (names of people and places) lends itself very well to bulk memorization which is why it represents 5 out of 9 of my active decks.
  • I then have the Common Expressions deck as well as the Wasei Eigo deck to help me quickly identify not-so-easy words and phrases which may be tricky to understand the first time reading/hearing them as expressions are idiomatic and not literal. As for Wasei Eigo, it’s just garbled English expertly designed to be ever so slightly and confusingly different form actual English (but very fun to learn).
  • I have the Lost WK Levels deck to make sure that I fill out the necessary Kanji for JLPT N1 which I’m taking in July if Italy doesn’t cancel it again.
  • I currently have the All in One Kanji deck which is currently inactive but that I intend to use for Kanji writing practice once I’m done with my current lineup of decks as well as Wanikani and Bunpro which should be somewhere in May.
2 Likes

So I start with folders because it’s easier to have them at the top I feel.
I have all the standard JLPT decks in the 能力試験 folder. I don’t study them often, but they are definitely useful.

The second image shows the “Written Practice Subjects Folder.” I use my “Trouble Words Review” to specifically target leeches. I use 見つけた漢字の練習 for practicing reading and writing Kanji that I find on my own. My one complaint about Wanikani (and someone correct me if I’m wrong), is that you can’t seem to turn on specific kanji that you are already using / have found in vocab you are learning.

The Chinese folder has all the things I’ve made so far. The Common Hanzi & Chinese HSK are useful, but I’m still in very early stages of learning Chinese, so it is difficult. I would publish the Basic Chinese Phonetics set, but I don’t know how much interest there would be, and it’s missing a few things that I already understand from previous language and linguistic experience.

For the main page, it’s ordered by importance for the most part. Since there’s a lot sets, I’ll only do the ones that I feel need an explanation. I obviously need to focus on textbook words & grammar for school. Next is encountered Japanese, as I think words I find IRL are pretty important to study. The Japanese Quizlet Deck is a large amount of vocab I studied before coming to Kitsun on Quizlet. I still study the Katakana 4.5k set sometimes, but not nearly as much because of the Wasei set. I’m not really a fan of the Japanese Slang set anymore since the original source (Memrise) never gave proper explanations for the vocab.

The main exception to the importance rule is my Spanish sets, since I wanted to make sure they stay together. The 2.5k Palabras Hispanicas all come from my old Quizlet sets. Palabras Encontradas (PE) is the same as the Encountered Japanese set but for Spanish. I don’t really need a bunch of sets for Spanish like I do Japanese because I’m much more familiar with the language.

Finally, I rarely study 10k Kitsun & Japanese Foods. 10k is a very useful set, but I have so many already that I don’t think it’s essential to me. Japanese foods is a good set, but I have a hard time justifying taking the time when I don’t have to do any input for it.

1 Like

Also, good luck with the All in One Kanji deck! Does it include Kanken or?

“It includes ALL 2136 Jouyou Kanji + JLPT N5 to N1’s Kanji + 861 Jinmeiyou Kanji + 2500 Most Frequent Kanji + 3007 Kanji from Heisig’s book + even more.”

So there ought to be overlap, but definitely not a Kanken deck (at least for the highest two levels). Kanken also tests idiomatic expressions, complex radical names, traditional character forms, etc…