Known Words

Sorry, I know you’ve fielded a lot of questions about Known Words but I am not quite sure I understand.
So, what exactly is a Known Word? It seems like a feature added to help people who were here from the beginning and I’m guessing it’s at least partially related to duplication as I have read a lot of discussion and it seems duplication was not a thing just a bit before I joined.
I dislike duplication quite a bit and have been trying to find the best way to remove duplicates rather than sorting and deleting manually.
I have noticed that the Known Words icon appears when I use the dictionary to look up a card.
What I have assumed from the information I’ve gathered from here and my observations of the application are that, at the least:
Known Words are a marker which does not affect study level gain or frequency of occurrence.
Known Words are marked automatically by some process (would like clarification on this) but can also be marked manually.
Known Words can be filtered upon and this status appears as an icon when checking card or dictionary information.
The exact data marked as Known is manually able to be marked in user created layouts via the crown icon.

Questions:
Does marking a piece of data as Known do anything other than mark it (is it more than a flag?)
By what process are words automatically marked as known? I cannot seem to find a pattern for this in my deck. I’m guessing that, if this is simply a flag, it’s because I wasn’t paying attention and didn’t set the crown on my personal layouts for several weeks.
Is there any extra effect to marking all cards I have studied as known / is any other property of the card, frequency, etc, changed when a piece of information is marked known?

Finally, is marking every card I have studied as known, and simply using that information to avoid future repeats, the expected use case of this attribute?

Sorry for the wall of text! Hope you had a good new years! :smiley:

1 Like

A marked known word allows for deck filtration so a user can hibernate ‘known’ content to avoid duplicates in their study. It also parses in the Reader giving the user a percentage of ‘known content’ for whatever reading material that is in an entry…this is very cool feature and why Kitsun is a great ‘homebase’ for all content known

correct

Deck layouts are assign to track content specified by a certain a value. As lesson are done, content get marked as known. It can also be imported if you have lists from outside content (under ‘Tools’ → Known Word-> '+" icon). If a WK user, I posted this filter deck here. You can also add it manually in the deck management.

It doesn’t change…you study ‘known’ content as you normally do. I repeat study content ‘known’ all the time if I have to just to refresh if need be.

If you set the crown for the value, it should update…I did it recently for my own and worked as expected.

Yes, but there is freedom so if you want to study known cards or add them in, you are not prevented from doing so if preferred. There is talk of a dictionary overall in the future at some point so how the ‘known’ system will behave will probably evolve. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Ha, I’m kind of confused by this. I’m guessing people would have the same card in their decks if they are using multiple other people’s premade decks? I am not doing that, so I’ve been trying to avoid duplicates. I would delete–not hibernate–them, but I’m not sure why you would hibernate them. I’m guessing maybe you can’t delete cards from other people’s decks?

Aaah, that’s how that works. Nifty! It might also explain why my numbers are so low. I’ll have to check again after I mark the cards.

Hmm, wonder why it didn’t work for me, then. Most of my cards are not marked known. I’ve manually added every card to my deck (import didn’t work how I thought it would) so perhaps I messed up something other than the crown.

After reading this, it does seem like what I want to do is not the normal use case for this feature, but that it would work either way. I would not use Known Words to avoid studying the flagged card, just to avoid duplicating it because in my studies I sometimes run across the same card and am not quite sure if I’ve already added it. Usually I’ll open two tabs, one with my deck (I only use one deck) and the dictionary, but that’s not always viable (on mobile it’s a real hassle).

Very cool to hear that even more will be added in the future!

And thanks, it does clarify things. Aside from some minor confusion on why most of my cards were not automatically marked known. Perhaps that will become more clear when I go to do it in a few minutes here.

Thanks!

1 Like

Correct, common words are going to overlap for sure so the known feature is pretty essential for ‘deck hopping’ to use multiple decks without overlap.

Correct, community decks are shared and are linked via the edit feedback loop. It’s actually makes Kitsun deck far more polished when mass users are contributing to deck fixes.

Hibernated cards can be awakened at anytime. To filter particular content an deck, this tool is essential as it allows beginner/intermediate/advanced to jump in at any point for efficiency (same with the known word filtration) along with Tags, which is also very helpful for deck filtering.

I’d maybe just double check that the value correlated the crown associated or that you are assigning the right template to the one used in the deck.

FWIW, I usually just add it (especially when I’m mobile adding them and don’t want the hassle). For clarity, hibernating a duplicate known card does not hibernate the original…they are separate entries so it doesn’t hurt that.

A couple ways I’ve done this on a duplicate entry after I add it:

a) Bite the bullet and study it again, extra practice doesn’t hurt (I looked it up for reason :sweat_smile:)

b) Once I see it lessons, sometime I’ll just hibernate it immediately since I comfortably know it was just a slight memory lapse. There is the edit menu for the click and also a hot key for fast hibernation

c) You can go to you deck manager and search ‘known’ and level SRS ‘0’…this will show unstudied known entries that can either be hibernated or deleted. Doing it periodically seems to work well for me as well.

Feel to ask more if not clear :slight_smile:

Getting Neicudi’s attention to take a look could be the fastest way to see why your cards are not being marked ‘known’ if you are still having problems.

Ahh, what a nice community effort! That makes sense. I’ve seen a few threads of people providing feedback on premade decks. Every time I tried using one (prior to kitsun, I used Anki, like most people) it didn’t work as well for me as simply using Anki as a way to reinforce things I’d already learned. Which is to say that I don’t seem to learn from SRS platforms as well as other people seem to.
Prior to this, if I saw a new word or learned it in a program/book/etc, I’d look it up in my phone’s dictionary, which then made a very nice automatic flashcard for Anki with pitch accent, example sentences, etc. It also would never duplicate a card, so I didn’t have to worry about it.
When I eventually migrated from Anki, I had to restart progress on all of my cards at once, which was extremely overwhelming (especially with siblings. I went from about 200 per day in anki to about 900 per day in Kitsun) but because it doesn’t have a lot of those features [yet] I’ve been working on finding the best way to go about it.

I’m still playing catch up on my Anki progress, so I see most of my cards every single day, actually. Because I am doing many different programs at once, often what I don’t remember isn’t the word itself, but is “did I see/put this word in kitsun?”
I am attempting to consolidate all of my words into kitsun such that it forces me to see them at least one (usually around 4, though, I think) extra times every day (this was actually much higher before I finally figured out siblings, thank frack, it was terrible) aka artificial exposure, but I have multiple other learning sources which also have some overlap over the course of say, one week. I might ‘learn’ the same word three times in one week, by the third time I don’t remember if I put it in kitsun or not, especially because kitsun doesn’t have as many integrations as Anki, if I just didn’t see it yet because I haven’t done a lesson with it, or if I put a weird form of the word in and I need to go back and add the ‘common’ one…

I’ll do that. At this point, knowing there’s no harm in just marking them known definitely makes me feel better, but it’s always good to know why an error happened/is happening in case it comes up in the future. Nothing strange seemed to happen when I applied them all as known cards, but I haven’t had time today to import yesterday’s new batch of words, which I’m pretty sure does indeed contain some duplicates, so we’ll see.

I feel like you’ve answered my questions thoroughly so I don’t want to bug anyone else, and I think I seem to be a unique enough case that this probably won’t affect anyone else, but hey if it does then at least there is this thread to help them ^_^.

1 Like

In case you choose to use a community deck (or weren’t aware), the propose changes are directed imbedded in the card. So you can click the action → propose change and then either edit the card or write a note. The deck author reviews/approves and it automatically updates to the rest of the community. If you are making private notes for yourself just for your cards, you can click the blue button in the upper left. But it’s beyond a specific card like a layout or template issue, the threads are usually the place to go.

Summary

Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.59.21 PM

1 Like