Is it possible to only do a portion of available reviews?

There are times where I only have 30 minutes or so, and would like to be able to choose the number of reviews I want. Is there any way to do this? WaniKani has the “only do 10 more button” button which is nice.

1 Like

From what I have seen, you can just the close the tab during the review, and the progress you have done so far is saved.

1 Like

Kitsun used to have that feature, but eventually it got substituted with the reorder feature. @Neicudi has mentioned that he’s thinking of bringing it back.

To be honest, I think a good feature would be a timed study session. For example, you would be able to say that you only have 5 minutes to study/review, and the system would then do a countdown until those 5 minutes are done. We all get these small amount of minutes throughout the day and usually they go to waste. If there was a chance to use them with Kitsun and use our time more wisely, it would be lovely :grin:

Yup, it saves on all devices. You can start doing them on your laptop and end them on your smartphone, for example.

3 Likes

I’ve been saying this from the beginning. Especially since I became a fan of the Pomodoro technique a while back when doing all my WK reviews.

Someday…

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Good to know he’s thinking of bringing it back. I can’t live without wrap up button on WK. Wrap up button limits pair of reading and meaning to 10 items, so I can focus and reread my lesson again if I’m wrong, or I can focus on other Kanji/Vocab if I’m right. Basically this is why I love can’t live without Wrap up button.

I wouldn’t want to use that feature if it existed. It feels as though I’m being forced too much to do my reviews in a short time. I’m still open to interruption especially when I do my reviews while waiting at the hospital.

I’m a fan of Pomodoro too but, personally, not for doing lessons/reviews on SRS sites. Only for writing when I can’t be disturbed by any interruptions to reach at least 750 words a day or more.

3 Likes

Like others have mentioned, this feature was removed with the introduction of the reorder functionality. Kitsun does remember every review you do, whether you finish all sibling cards or not, but I can see why you might want a wrap up feature that still randomizes the cards (instead of the existing 1x1 functionality).

I’ll put it back on the list of things to do :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I see of it as:

• I have a hug pile of reviews that can’t be done in 10-20 minutes.
  • So I have no initiative to start with them because tacking reviews is a big time commitment at that point.
  • But if I consider the challenge “Reviewing for 5 minutes”, my focus is on enduring 5 minutes of reviews, not on doing all reviews/doing all reviews in 5 minutes. So I’ll get pleasure as a reward of those 5 minutes, which in practice are putting my pile of reviews down :slight_smile:
  • I don’t see if as a punishment of “do as many reviews as fast as I can” because I can say to the website “hey, I have 8 minutes for reviewing, tell me when time is up” and that’s it.
3 Likes

Yeah, I guess in my ideal world, I would just be able to choose the number of reviews to do. While a Wrap Up Button or Amount of Time would be nice, I would love to just state from the beginning that I only want to do 50 reviews right now.

3 Likes

While I like the overal timer thingy, I’d personally opt for a X amount of seconds to mark a card wrong kind of timer.

Whenever I do reviews, I find that I don’t know the item well enough if I cant answer within 5-10 seconds, just like how when you encounter it in a real text, you wouldn’t want to be stuck on every fourth vocab word to reminisce about what the meaning or reading was. You want to be able to fluently read texts.

As for a do “X” amount of reviews kinda feature, I personally don’t see that much use for it since you can just stop after completing review nr 50 when paired with the wrap up feature (you’d get cards in batches of 10, so 50 would be a perfect ending count).

But perhaps I’m an outlier in that regard, if enough people want it I don’t mind implementing it ^^

(Which reminds me that I have to start filling up the feature voting section of this forum :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

I can see your point.

I agree wholly on your second paragraph, though, judging from my wkstats, if you really implement this timer thingy, I hope user can toggle it on/off flexibly.

I’m sure someone with better accuracy won’t reach this many correct/incorrect data :eyes: on @Whologist not to mention people like who or jp or naph are faster than me. fast with good accuracy. not fast with many inaccuracies or fast with many inaccuracies but abuse ignore button :eyes: on someone but I’m afraid to say it directly on her face.

In other words, if I’m encountered by vocabularies I know fluently, or I’ve just learnt but then I become really self-conscious about that vocab, I’d really love to use this feature, especially when I’m focused and not interrupted by anything/anyone. Like when I see vocab list on N5 deck, or low level vocab list on 10k deck. But if I’m encountered a new vocabulary with two new WK level 43 kanjis when I’m still WK lvl 25 at the moment, I’ll definitely often get red if I’m not really fluent on this vocab, like 封筒. But this one I’m fluent already with the help of spoon-fed WK mnemonics. I mean other vocabs that can’t even pop up in my head right now though I’ve learned it from one of Kitsun community decks.

But other times, when I'm free to interruption,

when I drink water too much and I must pee every 5 or 8 minutes and put off everything and run to the bathroom and run back to my kitsun and put on everything, I’m afraid I’ll get red for that review item because I leave Kitsun for whatever reason nothing, though irl that interruption could mean a cancer patient who’s my blood family (complete with tubes put on some of her body) I take care wants to pee and I must leave everything even when I eat.

When I saw the OP mentioned this feature, I remember the old kamesame. It’s like kitsun moving backward if we must specify let’s say 3 items to review on Kitsun or 30 items only, because I experienced that on KameSame. And I didn’t quite like it. KameSame is better nowadays. I can just do review my 250 items, and just leave, I mean by leaving = click the site home, not close the tab immediately, then there are two buttons offering if I really want to abandon my reviews or continue my reviews. I prefer Kitsun way. Kitsun has been smarter. Just like jp said above, I can finish half on my mobile, and half on my computer later. Aside from WK like wrap up button which can limit up to 10 cards to review only.

I like the idea of feature voting too, but I hope that voting would cover most active Kitsun users (or all active paid Kitsun users later). I have no idea about Kitsun users who are active Kitsun’ing but inactive in Kitsun forum or any other forums.

2 Likes

I just wanted to mention why I have a hard time with just closing the tab when I am out of review time. The deck I’m currently doing has 3 siblings per review. If I do all of my reviews at once, it usually takes me around an hour. Because the cards are shown at random, my progress numbers barely go up until the final 20 minutes (because that is around the time I’m finally getting the third sibling card for individual reviews).

So if I am ever in a situation where I miss reviews one night causing them to stack up, and I want to do half my pile, it is really hard to know when I actually hit the halfway point. When my review count number gets halfway, I’m generally toward the final part of my reviews.

I feel (don’t know if this is actually true) that WaniKani either batches cards or has some variable for maximum number of reviews you can go through before you get all siblings of a card. For example, if I get the pronunciation sibling, I will probably get its meaning sibling decently soon even if my review pile is over 100 cards. Again, I might be wrong about how it actually works, but it feels like something is going on under the hood.

Now, I could reorder to keep siblings together, but I feel like that gives me an unfair advantage at answering correctly.

Potential Solutions:

1. As stated above, either have some maximum number of reviews that can go by before all siblings of a cards must be shown (or make this available as a reorder checkbox)
  2. Group reviews into buckets (under the hood or through reorder options) so that when doing reviews, 10 - 20 cards (and all of their siblings) are randomized and grouped together and must all be completed before moving on to the next bucket.
  3. Before starting reviews, let me choose how many I want to tackle currently.
  4. Add the Wrap Up Button (while this would be nice, if I ever just want to tackle 50 reviews, it will be slightly annoying having to do them in 10 review chunks, but if this option makes the most sense to people, I’ll take it!)
1 Like

The wrap up button worked/will work exactly as you described in point 2. It’s not actually ending the session if that’s what you thought (I can definitely see why the name creates this confusion though haha)

2 Likes

The wrap up functionality is now back, better than ever. You can toggle it on at the reorder popup. Let me know if it works like you expect it to and if there are any bugs! :smiley:

5 Likes

Thank you! Excited to try it out when I do my reviews tonight!

Edit: Actually, I just realized that I had a few minutes to test it out now… and isn’t that what this feature is for to begin with! I tested and all went is planned! Thanks again!

3 Likes

Could there be an option to auto-end the review session when wrap up is turned on and you finish the batch of cards it’s grouping? When I first turned it on I was confused when my review session kept continuing and I wasn’t really sure when I was “supposed” to stop and exit the session manually.

1 Like

I’d like something that when activated would give me all incomplete cards with siblings left to do + cards I got wrong. I think this is somewhat what you meant, right?

1 Like

Like Bunpro’s wrap-up mode? I think CyanPlastic was talking about something closer to WK’s, but I would be happy with either (though I don’t mind not having it much since Kitsun saves progress on partially tested cards anyway, which I like).

1 Like

I’ve no idea xD I was a heavy early tester on Bunpro but I haven’t studied grammar for over a year :eyes:

WK always shows you reviews from a pool of 10 items. If you use wrap up, you’re going to complete all 10. With reorder however, that can not happen. That’s why I specifically mentioned reviews with wrong answers + reviews with not all siblings answered. This would allow the user to focus on completing all material that they have started on without having to do everything.

Agree! That and that it doesn’t time out. Definitely 2 great things the :fox_face: blesses us with.

2 Likes