I think I'm doing this wrong

Hi, guys! Forgive me if this issue has been addressed somewhere but I’m going through the guide and have gone as far as Help>Quickstart (I know…:sweat_smile:). Successfully created my deck, can’t seem to find the “Add Card” button on the dashboard page, read JPR’s tutorial and still am lost. Admittedly, I’m about as sharp as a marble so here are my questions:

1. Did the Add Card button move? How do I add words, phrases to my deck?
  2. Can I use the Dictionary feature and directly import those to my deck?
  3. Are there any other tutorials I should be made aware of?

Thank you!

2 Likes

If you want to add the details manually (without the dictionary tool), you open the deck, scroll down and you’ll see some boxes, each with options. The 2nd box is “Add card”. It’s right under the leeches list.

Yeess, you can :tada:

You have 2 options:

• Generate Flashcard: it will use the default Kitsun template and create a card that goes vocab -> reading and vocab -> meaning (WK style).
  • Custom Flashcard: In here, you’re able to select a different template (Hine’s template for example). This would help if you wanted to do EN - > JP, for example. The downside is that in the first time, you’ll have to attach the fields of the dictionary (ex: meaning in the dictionary) to the fields of that same template (ex: meaning in the template). Kitsun can’t guess on which field of the car you want the information. This information does get saved after, so u won’t need to repeat it.

In “Generate Flashcard”, you can select the deck you want the card in here:

2 Likes

Hello :smiley:

The quickstart is really outdated (and still unfinished :sweat_smile:) by now, so I can see where the confusion is coming from… Sorry about that!

1. You should be able to find the button below the timeline/ranks/progress/leeches on the deck dashboard page:

If it’s not there, it’s probably because you are using a community deck, which you can’t add your own private cards to. You’d want to create a private deck for that.

If it still isn’t there after this, something else might be going wrong, so let me know :smiley:

1. When creating a card from the dictionary feature, you first have to choose a (private) deck to add the created cards to. I’d suggest just trying it out with a test card and see what happens :slight_smile:

2. Perhaps it’s a good idea to know how cards work in general and what they consist of:

Cards use one template (the defined fields such as “Japanese” and “English”), and use at least (but not limited to) 1 layout (the visual styling of the card). During reviews/lessons each layout is converted into a “sibling card”. You have to answer each sibling before the (whole) card ranks up or down.

Just a fyi: The cards adding/management will be replaced by another flow in (I hope) about 2-3 weeks when I deploy phase 1 of the redesign. I plan on just showing a table with every card in it and letting you add/edit them from there. Kinda a la excel / google sheets.

Edit: Ninja’d by jpr!

3 Likes

See, that’s what I thought but my created deck doesn’t show anything and this is all I have.

1 Like

I have no idea where to find this. This is all I see without any Add Card option anywhere.

I thought that this could be a browser issue but it’s the same on my laptop and iPad + Chrome and/or Safari.

1 Like

Didn’t you create a folder instead of a deck? :thinking: A folder works as any folder on your computer. You can put decks inside a folder in order to organize them.

Deck on top and folder on the bottom:

Notice that the deck has numbers on top (lessons on the left, reviews on the right), a total card count and a progress bar. A folder doesn’t have that (as you can see from your screenshot).

Looks like a deck to me. :sob:

Can I give you my login credentials to look around?

Edit:
Actually, no. You’re probably busy, I’ll wait for Neicudi lol.

Edit edit:
I’ll just start over.

Edit edit edit:
Yes, it was a folder.

Edit edit edit edit:
Am dumb.

1 Like

A folder in Kitsun is kinda a fake deck with most functionality hidden. Judging by your screenshot you (accidentally) created a folder.

That’d definitely explain why you don’t see a deck dashboard ^^ Could you try creating a new deck? There’s a Folder toggle, but if you don’t touch that it should be fine :smiley:

1 Like

No you’re not. Those WK levels done is less than 10 days aren’t possible for a dumb person.

Show up on discord if it makes it easier for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did it!

I may show up on Discord if I have any more questions. Serves me right for trying to cram this right before the break is over. Thank you so much, you guys!

3 Likes