How far is MaruMori in terms of JLPT N5 Content?

Hi all, apologies if I’m not supposed to ask here, I couldn’t find the MaroMori community area.

I’ve started usinig the kitsun.io app and absolutely love it, going throught the JLPT N5 vocab now. Just a heads up wish they updated the faq to note that an app does exist now but in early access as I only found up stumbling on it.
But I’m trying to grow my grammer now, and thought I’d use MaruMori. Do they work together in that do I continue to do my JLPT N5 vocab in kitsun or will they now be doubled in MaruMori.
Also is MaruMori advanced enough for the JLPT N5 study, I see the agressive timeline which is awesome, but makes me wonder whether its best I wait until February for example to start. Or if most of the content is there that I can just jump in now.
Also does the grammer part have an srs part to it?
If it helps I own Pro for both. Cheers and apologies if this is answered elsewhere.

1 Like

Heya!

For MaruMori we have decided to focus on Discord as our community area so to speak. For Kitsun there’s also a Discord server. So if you have a Discord account, feel free to join us on either server (see links below) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
If not, posting here is also fine :slight_smile:

MM and Kitsun do not sync yet, although we do have plans on enabling such a feature in the future (marking MM items as “known” on Kitsun, or suspending “known” Kitsun items on MM).

In terms of content, you’ll find that MM currently offers Grammar Lessons, Reading exercises, Kanji & Vocab up to at least N4. The beginner region corresponds to N5 and tackles all the grammar points you’d need for the test. The Lower Intermediate (N4) region is currently getting a new batch of levels every two weeks :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

For Kanji and Vocabulary in particular, we already go further than N5-N4. In the main “adventure” course you currently get around 330 kanji and ~1500 vocabulary, which is much more than what N5 asks of you.

A quick note on that though is that we do not strictly follow JLPT levels for our kanji and vocabulary unlocks. We focus on teaching you kanji with associated vocabulary. Based on multiple factors:
Kanji:

• Stroke count
  • JLPT level
  • Grade (school grade in Japan)
  • Do other kanji depend on this item? (we teach kanji by building on your previously learned kanji. so if kanji A is inside kanji B, we teach kanji A first, if it makes sense for the level of the user)

Vocabulary:

• Associated vocabulary to help teach the kanji reading(s)
  • JLPT level
  • Is it Common? (Frequency data)

So because of that, we try to strike a balance between the above factors. When you take into account that N5 vocabulary can use N2+ Kanji in it, it becomes fairly logical that we can not teach you everything in the exact JLPT order :laughing:

However, our premade study lists on MM will soon arrive (likely within 7 days from now :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: ), which will also include lists of N5 to N1, for you to supplement your studies with if needed.

That said, if you are already doing N5 vocabulary/kanji on Kitsun, there’s no need to switch to MM for that, you can just continue what you were doing ^^

Grammar SRS is definitely on our roadmap (Phase 3), but personally, I’m more a fan of testing your grammar in other ways. For example through getting you to read/immerse native material (graded readers / reading tool), having actual tests (mock exams), and things like conjugation/grammar drills. All of which are also planned features :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thank you so much for the support by the way!

1 Like

Awesome as, and answer answer. Thanks so much for all the work and everything being created. Can’t wait for the new stuff. Thanks!

1 Like

Is there a plan for how exactly the grammar SRS is going to look? Is it going to be like bunpro, where you have a Japanese sentence and have to type in the correct grammar point, or differently? Like for example, you get a sentence and have to choose between different grammar points as an answer, like in the JLPT questions, or you get a right or wrong sentence and have to select a reason as to why the sentence is incorrect or correct.

2 Likes