How do I make a new layout?

I really love the Kanji writing practice decks. I’d love to make decks like this for myself. Since there is no option to copy community decks over to my personal decks I guess I’ll have to try creating one myself.
I don’t really know a lot about html, but I thought I could use that as a challenge to learn something new.
But I have no idea how to create a new layout to try things out. I thought I could use the Kitsun - Japanese - Kanji template and add to that. But I can’t change the code on an existing layout and every time I try to make a new layout I get the error message: „failed to save layout: Could not find template“.
I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong :sweat_smile: Do I need to create a new template first?
So…I obviously have no idea how to go about this.
Is there a tutorial for people that don’t really know html?

I’m sorry if this was already asked and I was just too stupid to find it :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Hey!

I’m not sure what’s causing the error for you to be honest. Could you perhaps describe the exactly actions you took?

On the edit layouts page you could select the Kitsun - Japanese - Kanji template -> select a layout to use as a base -> duplicate the layout (button next to the selection fields) -> adjust the code of the new copy.

HTML tutorials are plenty on the internet (perhaps take a look at https://www.w3schools.com/html/ ), although Kitsun does have a bit of a special templating syntax in order to show the values of your cards and create inputs and such. You can check how the default layouts work and use that as a guide.

If you have specific questions about HTML/CSS feel free to ask though, I can help you out if things don’t work :slight_smile:

Oh thank you that way works :grin:

I went to tools -> layouts -> selected a template and then chose “new…” as layout. Then I typed in a name and just copy pasted the code from another layout. When I clicked on save afterwards I got the message. But I see now that my layouts were saved despite the warning message. I don’t remember them being there yesterday though.

1 Like

Hmm that’s kinda weird, I’ll try to reproduce the issue a few more times.

Glad it worked!