Help please

Hi,

I’m new to Kitsun and don’t understand well how it works.

I don’t find a list where I can study all the unlocked vocab words before I practice them in review (for in “Known words” you can’t open them), I only find the list of learned kanji (in manage cards).

Moreover, for the kanji 亥 there are two cards, card 1 is the sign of the hog, and card 2 the boar. When I answered “the boar” for the card 1, it was counted as a mistake, but I just can’t know when they ask me for card 1 or 2 meaning. Is there a way to know?

Thanks in advance!
Victor

1 Like

Sounds like you might be working on the Lost Level deck.

Kanji card fonts are distinctively larger than vocab fonts, that is how you can tell. Whether you find it useful to have both in the review pile (single kanji vs vocab entry), that is your call… I added vocab entries for single kanji as they appeared in the dictionary so the user choice is there (otherwise hibernating can done), but build out nuance meaning and reading may be different so could worth keeping, depending on the item.

There is dropdown in manage cards that shows the two list separately, is that what you are looking for?

Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 10.59.00 AM

However it sounds like you studying your items before a review? That sounds pretty counterintuitive to how SRS works as getting things wrong is sort important to increase the review frequency to drill the memory otherwise loosing a learning benefit…to each their own of course.

Also noteworthy, as you build reviews, cards you are having trouble with will build a leech pile for extra study, you can put in how many times you want to review which is super useful, again probably best practice to do after an SRS review session (not before) to not artificially progress the SRS levels.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for all the information @s1212z !

I only very rarely study the items before the reviews, but when they are 100% new (0 reviews so far), it can be useful (but then I don’t do that after the first review).

2 Likes

but now that I think about it, when in the review the kanji appears, it appears without font, then I don’t know if it is asking me for the vocab or the kanji. I would like to keep both kanji and vocab in my reviews, but when the kanji appears, I want to know if it’s asking me for the vocab or the kanji meaning. In WaniKani it was easy to see for the colors were different.

As mentioned, the font size is bigger for kanji. If recognized, I didn’t find it a problem and haven’t heard complaints. I do it other decks without issue too. If demanded, I could considered a template revision but consider the font size as you do review and see what you think.

Kanji

Vocab

2 Likes

I see thank you again @s1212z ! :slight_smile:

I do see the difference in size (which is good!), though personally I would recommend a clearer distinction, probably because I am used to WaniKani haha.

Have a great day!
Victor

2 Likes

I’ll consider it and see what I do, thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes