Furinga

Hi!

I’ve been using The Genki deck a bunch recently and I really like the furinga that is available, how do I create furinga text in my own decks?
Best Regards

2 Likes

Hi!

You can add furigana to your own cards by using a special syntax for the field value.

So say you have a Sentence field, you would fill it in as follow:

水{みず}はすごいです

The reading has to be put in between the brackets right after the kanji vocabulary. If it’s a compound word, it is fine to do it behind the whole word as such: 水道{すいどう}.

If you are using custom layouts, you will have to replace your {{Sentence}} code with {{furigana:Sentence}}. The default Kitsun layouts already have this built in for the Sentence field :slight_smile:

Let me know if you need any help! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

(Correct me if I’m wrong but) Optionally, you can also fill in the furigana with [ ] rather than curly brackets
So with the example above, it could either be
水{みず}はすごいです
or
水 [みず] はすごいです

2 Likes

Correct!

I figured I’d mention the fullwidth { } symbols as they don’t require you to switch to another keyboard (fullwidth vs the regular width for us).

Oh? I guess that must be a keyboard difference, we have [ ] and { } right on the keyboard. Interesting!

1 Like

I meant the difference between fullwidth and regular width {. If you write a sentence in Japanese keyboard/IME mode and type that symbol it becomes fullwidth whereas normally it is the regular width (halfwidth? not sure haha)

1 Like

Thanks, appreciate your answer. But do I have to do something extra to not get furinga on vocab to reading or does it sort it self out?

2 Likes

If you don’t add {{furigana:fieldname}} to that layout then it should be fine :slight_smile: It all depends on whether you are using custom layouts or not.

1 Like