Flashcards with multiple components (eg: reading and meaning) should not reveal all component answers when being tested on a single component

I’m not sure if I’m putting this in the right place (bug or feature request), nor if I’m describing it correctly, but I’m going to give it a go.

So, when generating cards from a dictionary, the default template creates both “Japanese->Reading” and “Japanese->English” which is great and certainly saved me a lot of time when I realised this feature existed, otherwise my self-built N1 vocab deck would have taken me countless hours.

The problem is that when I’m tested on one of these (eg: the reading) and answer it correctly, the back of the card is shown which reveals both reading and the meaning.

As a result, when I’m later being tested on the other part, I’ve already been inadvertently exposed to the correct answer which means I’m not answering from memory and thus the benefit of using the automatically generated cards is lessened quite significantly.

Is this a bug, or a feature request? Either way, could it be fixed so that only the answer to the thing being tested is revealed (along with any other optional/custom added fields, such as an example sentence)?

1 Like

Heya, this has been brought up before and there’s multiple solutions to it:

1. I have to update the layouts to ONLY display the “spoiling information” during lessons (as one of these cards should contain all the info during lessons).
  2. I can adjust the layout to have a “more information” button which then displays all the info (either all or nothing).
  3. You can use lightning mode (click on the lightning bolt @ top right during reviews) to skip the backside of a card. It will only skip when the answer is correct. Right now this is more of a workaround, but it’s probably the best option you have until either 1 or 2 happens.
  4. Duplicate the layouts to create your own personal copies -> in the code remove the field you dont want it to show -> set up custom flashcard generation to use your own layouts.

I’m leaning more towards number 1 at the moment, but in some cases someone might use only one layout, and still want the info on it… As a workaround I’d suggest using nr 3 for now.

Let me know what you think, and thanks for reporting! Much appreciated :smiley:

1 Like