[Feature Request] Share Synonyms by Fields

Another day, another request :slight_smile:

I noticed with the 10k deck that sometimes the same field (there for example English meaning) has multiple layouts (JP text => English; JP audio => English). I often find myself inserting the same synonyms again and again because the synonyms are stored by layout.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to store/share it by field?

While I agree that it would be handy, I think the system would have to determine which field the layout tests you on. This isn’t really possible in a fool-proof way:

During runtime it doesn’t know which field is linked to the answers for that specific layout due to parsing the layouts and putting the answers on the input element. So that reference is kinda lost at the point and there would be many situations it would have to account for.

Perhaps seeing all synonyms (of all layouts) somewhere would help a bit?

At first I thought it was related to the disappearing synonyms until I figured it out.

If it’s not possible to reference the field maybe the “add as synonym” option I suggested would be handy to at least not retype everything again.

Or, you might check all possible synonyms for a match and show a more prominent option like "take over synonyms from “JP Audio => English” that just copies everything over.

Or the user links the layouts once and you store the connection inside the synonyms data somewhere :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the ‘takeover synonyms’ idea, gonna see what I can do.

Putting it on the list ^^

Wow, is this possible to create? Oo

Cuz like… I edit both EN => JP and JP => reading/meaning. Having half the work… I know it’s late, so I must be dreaming :heart_eyes: or misunderstanding you…