[Feature Request] Close but no cigar

So… I love the fact that Kitsun has tolerance for typos… The thing is… we’re learning languages here. After thousands of reviews done, I’m feeling like I’m very used to having Kitsun let me make some typos on purpose. This has led me to realize that I’m actually having trouble spelling words correctly sometimes. It worsens when the word is written in similar ways in the different languages that I know.

• Do you mistype on purpose in order to do reviews faster?
  • Do you mistype on purpose because you know that Kitsun will take typos into consideration?
  • Yes… Yes.
  • Yes… No.
  • No… No.
  • No… Yes.

0 voters

• Do you feel that the typo tolerance has led you to make more spelling mistakes?
  • Yes.
  • No.

0 voters

My proposal: let people choose in the account/deck settings, if they want typo tolerance activated. Make activated the default choice. If typo tolerance is activated, when a typo happens, the feature will let the user know that something is not right (like shaking the input box? Yellow instead of red? idk), so the user can type it correctly this time.

• Are you interested in something like this?
  • Yes.
  • No.
  • Neutral.

0 voters

What do you guys think? :grin:

2 Likes

Personally, in my own decks that I make, I usually have spellcheck turned on for cards in the language I’m learning (for example, わたし would be correct but わてし would be incorrect), and then allow typos in the language I’m familiar with (“this” and “htis” would both be correct.) That’s because that little bit of thought put in over which letters are what (like accented letters in my Spanish deck) help retain the correct spelling, while fat-fingering my English responses is fine because I’ll still know if I meant the correct thing.

However, I’m all for making it a feature that users can toggle on their end of the interface. Everyone has different preferences, and I’d hate if people avoided my Spanish deck just because they hate having to type accents/don’t care where the accents are/don’t want to install an alternate keyboard or learn the alt-codes.

1 Like

Yes, I agree :slight_smile: For example, writing “lo pantalla” instead of “la pantalla” is wrong, since Spanish is a gendered language. However, the typo system would allow the user to get away with it.

In my case, Portuguese is my native language. I know English, I can very much read Spanish, I’m learning Japanese and I have 2 other languages mixed up in my brain. The typo thing is hurting my English lately and it’s not good :neutral_face: That’s why I thought about this.

1 Like

I’ve typed “gold” instead of “golf” and vice versa so many times now :eyes: Some of the typos do change the meaning, especially on the katakana deck :eyes:

1 Like

I’d like to point out that you can actually change this by using the spellcheck field {{spellcheck:fieldname}} instead of the regular type field {{type:fieldname}} in the layouts.

However, for community decks where you can’t personally change the cards, I do see the benefit in making it a deck setting for the user to decide. Keeping in mind that it’d be a deck setting, it does mean that it counts for all inputs, which in turn means that both languages will not have a typo tolerance anymore.

I’m all for the idea though! I think it would definitely be handy for people learning western languages and other subjects whose decks don’t make use of the spellcheck field.

3 Likes

That totally makes sense, so don’t worry! :grin: I think that’s the point, actually :v:

The fact that we will be able to do it by decks is pretty cool :heart_eyes:

1 Like