Extracting individual cards from community decks

Apologies if this is already asked and answered somewhere else. Is there any way in which I can extract words from one deck and copy them with all their fields and associated data (audio, jpg, etc.) to a personal deck?

To be specific, I’m looking to create my own deck with the same format as the core10k, adding words as I encounter them in the wild. For words that are already represented in the community 10k deck, it would be much easier to copy them across than to create them all over again.

I had considered just hibernating the entire community deck and reactivating them as needed, but then there are undoubtedly going to be words that aren’t in the 10k, in which case I don’t think I’m able to add them as the original deck is uneditable?

Hi!

This is currently not possible, and will probably only become possible for personal decks.

I would like to add that you are able to instantly generate cards from the dictionaries page. Which would require the same or less effort as copying from the 10k deck. (Search in dictionary (jisho.org) -> generate card -> learn). So perhaps this could work as a solution for now :slight_smile:

Definitely less effort. Not to mention that the data from Jisho is more complete than the data on the Core 10k :slight_smile: I’d definitely go for the Dictionary tool.

Happy to use this method if it works, but could you clarify what you mean by the information being more complete? From what I can see, cards generated from the dictionary page don’t include things like sentences - for some cards I’d also ideally like to add audio files (I realise this is not included in either the original jisho data or the core10k set as it stands on kitsun). Even using the custom flashcard set up I’m having trouble finding any of the extra data you mentioned. Am I missing something?

1 Like

He’s probably talking about some of the 10k content not being completely accurate compared to if you search for the vocab entry on Jisho.org / dictionary tool. He’s suggested a tremendous amount of changes for the 10k deck (you can check in the 10k thread to see what I’m talking about).

You’re right about the sentences though, it’s not included due to the data not being in the jisho.org API :frowning:

1 Like

Pretty much this :point_up:

@Neicudi already mentioned that Jisho’s API doesn’t share sentence content, but I’d suggest you to always use the dictionaries in the deck’s layouts to check for several example sentences. It helps you understand quite a bit more about how words are used.

1 Like

Thank you for your helpful suggestions - I will certainly bear the layout functionality in mind, although ideally in the future it would be good to have an option to automatically add sentences/audio at the creation stage to cut down on the busywork (I appreciate there’s not much that can be done on the part of the kitsun.io developers if it’s not part of the jisho API).

Have a day off today and consequently a bit more time to play around with the engine. Wonder if I could impose on someone here to answer a few more miscellaneous questions.

For instance, in the J-E vocab template, I see a field for adding a sentence, but not for a translation of that sentence. What category (if any) is meant to correspond to? Also is it possible to just pick one meaning/reading when matching from the dictionary, rather than all available? If I’m including sentences, it would be preferable to have separate cards for separate meanings I think. Am I going to have to ditch the dictionary and start writing my decks from scratch?

1 Like

You can edit the values before submitting the card, so you’d be able to remove the meanings you don’t want to have on the card :slight_smile:

As for sentences/audio and other stuff, I fully plan on adding creation tools for this in the (near-ish) future. Something like tatoeba for sentences and forvo for audio.