[Discussion & Feedback] Chinese - 3k Most Common Hanzi

Important Notice:

Before starting this set, make sure to go into the deck settings and deactivate Hanzi → Pinyin if you are unable to type in the accent format. Unfortunately, the number notation is not available at this time.

Get this set here

Get the 5k HSK Chinese Words Set Here

Why study this set?

• Great way to study and learn Chinese characters
  • Will help you better remember the words you’re learning in other sets, like the 5K set.
  • Includes both traditional & modern forms
  • Includes audio
  • Includes stroke order diagrams
  • Includes meanings & pronunciations

How is this set going to change in the future?
There will likely be small style improvements in the future. Beyond that, the hope is that the numbering format of Pinyin will eventually be available.

How can I contribute to this deck?

1. Send in suggestions to correct errors in the deck (for example, many cards accidentally mix commas and semicolons, so the words aren’t perfect).
  2. If you want to use the numbering format, you can send me a suggestion with that information added in the “PinyinAlt” section. As soon as I accept the suggestion, that card can accept the number Pinyin format!

I will also be working on the numbering notation myself, but I still haven’t had time to do Chinese phonology yet, so it will be a while before that starts. However, I’ve already put the structure in for what it needs to be accepted as valid.

How does the number notation Pinyin work? (FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CONTRIBUTE)
A number is added to the end of every syllable to indicate the different tones. The numbers are the following:
1 = ā ī ū ē ō
2 = á í ú é ó
3 = ǎ ǐ ǔ ě ǒ
4 = à, ì, ù, è, ò
5 = a, i, u, e, o (Neutral)
So for example, 的 is “de” in accent notation, which corresponds to “de5” in number notation. Taking it to something more complicated, 对不起 is “duìbuqǐ” in accent notation, which corresponds to “dui4bu5qi3” in number notation. Fortunately, most Hanzi will only have one syllable, so the number will be placed at the end of the word.

These numbered readings should be placed in “PinyinAlt”

If you can, it would be best to provide both the readings from “Pinyin” and “Pinyin 2,” but just providing the primary Pinyin is better than nothing.

2 Likes

Also, while I didn’t make the icon for this test, I made something heavily based off of it for my Kanji sets, which I would like to share for anyone wanting an icon to go along with their Kanji set.
Remaking%20Hanzi%20to%20Kanji

2 Likes

The icon looks great and the deck design and features are amazing. I’m excited to use this deck for writing practice (since meaning and pronunciation/tones are already quite well covered by your vocab deck and the SpoonFedChinese sentences imo).
Unfortunately, when I select ‘Writing Test’ as my sole layout it only works for 个 and no other character

1 Like

Thanks a ton for pointing this out! I totally forgot to add the layouts to every kanji! I just published the fix, so hopefully it works well.
And thank you, I tried my best! I agree that this set & the other two are a great combinations for learning Chinese. I think the only thing I would also recommend doing is also adding a “found words” set for words that aren’t part of the 5k or SpoonFedChinese set, though ofc hope is that most of the words you’ll need will be found in both sets.

1 Like

Working just fine now! As for the ‘found words’ I just put them in a custom sentence deck (from immersion) or don’t do anything at all if I just unconsciously acquire them.

1 Like